2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Said it before and I’ll say it again…

The best driver pairing on the grid, no question.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Unf

His and Schumacher's records have the same problem - they did it mostly beacuse of having way much better car and way worse teammates. Don't want to say that Hamilton is slow - even I must admit that he is brilliant driver but... there always will be "but" next to his numbers.

PhillipM

He dragged a dog of mclaren into championship contention and won the championship in more than one car, and almost nailed it in his first season against a world champion teammate. I don't think there's any 'but' there.

Unf

PhillipM wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:36
He dragged a dog of mclaren into championship contention and won the championship in more than one car, and almost nailed it in his first season against a world champion teammate. I don't think there's any 'but' there.
I agree about Mclaren era. But On Mercedes since 2014... there are a lot of "but".

MKlaus

we all know how this "driver d***" discussion is going to end.

congratulations to lewis for a legendary milestone. he got the equipment and made the most of it. that's all that matters. every great driver of the past has also been regarded as great for the skills they have shown, not for the statistics.

dans79

197 104 103 7

djones

Unf wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:31
His and Schumacher's records have the same problem - they did it mostly beacuse of having way much better car and way worse teammates. Don't want to say that Hamilton is slow - even I must admit that he is brilliant driver but... there always will be "but" next to his numbers.
I know your just 'trolling' for a bit of fun.

But as a serious reply to the subject....

It does not matter what sport it is, no champion or the greatest at something has a 100% perfect record or was only ever on the back foot and having to drag a win out of not having the best team or hardware etc. Aside from the fact the best people usually find a way to also be in the best teams, it's very hard (impossible I'd say) to deny Hamilton's achievements as they go over so many years.

As a polar contrast you have somebody like Button or Villeneuve who were only champions because they happened to be in a crazy fast car and were good enough or had the luck to beat only their teammate that year.

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
08 May 2021, 23:04
F1's YT presence has gotten so much better after the Liberty acquisition.

Great vid.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
09 May 2021, 00:34
dans79 wrote:
F1's YT presence has gotten so much better after the Liberty acquisition.

Great vid.
As soon as F1 wasn't being run by Bernie everything got substantially better. It's not surprising though, considering Bernie publicly stated many times and in many ways that he didn't like the internet.
197 104 103 7

djones

Yeah.... But I remember when it was free to watch F1 and it now costs me 300 euros a year or something. So there is a balance to be had somewhere and it's not how it is now in my opinion.

PlatinumZealot

dans79 wrote:
Sublime. =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle

djones wrote:
09 May 2021, 01:01
Yeah.... But I remember when it was free to watch F1 and it now costs me 300 euros a year or something. So there is a balance to be had somewhere and it's not how it is now in my opinion.
300 euro’s? That’s all dependent of who’s got the rights in your country. Nothing to do with Liberty (in countries where Liberty has the rights, it’s kind free to air because it’s included in their regular standard cable subscription). Else there is F1TV, which is about 70 euros or something?

Jambier

Unf wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:31
Well it is obvious that in that sport to have records you need this specific configuration

That’s why you should not focus on numbers, this is for people not knowing well the sport

El Scorchio

I just read an article from Andrew Benson and there was an interesting bit that stood out which also involved Pedro De La Rosa and I thought might be of interest regarding Hamilton and qualifying going back to 2008, so I’ll post it here. (Credit obvs to Andrew Benson/BBC)

De La Rosa also happens to be one of the most astute observers of racing drivers, and he has incredible insight into what makes Hamilton special.

Here he is explaining one of Hamilton's greatest laps, at Canada in 2008. Hamilton was on pole by more than 0.6 seconds, and a remarkable 1.28 seconds quicker than team-mate Heikki Kovalainen.

"Lewis realised the track was opening up, bits of asphalt were breaking up in the corners," De la Rosa said. "So he was turning in very early and using the banana kerbs and everything he could find to get the car turned. And he was faster than anyone else because he was adapting.

"He immediately found different lines. It's not only about tyre temperature or driving style, it is about adaptability in general.

"The track is opening up, he doesn't really go any slower, he just turns earlier and if there is a banana kerb, the car will jump, but he will have no problems with that as long as it lands on four wheels. So that's Lewis, man. It doesn't really matter what you throw at him, he will drive fast."

Link https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57041848

Unf

djones wrote:
09 May 2021, 00:30
As a polar contrast you have somebody like Button or Villeneuve who were only champions because they happened to be in a crazy fast car and were good enough or had the luck to beat only their teammate that year.
It's not a polar - it's the same situation like Hamilton's one but he has this not just for one year, but many years.
He had and has waaaaay better car, and way worse teammates in Mercedes (Rosberg title on 2016 does mean nothing).

I am talking about facts, sorry. And excatly the same we can say about Schumacher on Ferrari era - he had way better car and way worse teammates. Don't you agree?

IMO we can say a lot of glorious words about... let say Usain Bolt - he is a really champion, he was just better than others - simply.

In motorsport it's not that obvious, cars have too much influence on the result.
I would love to see all F1 drivers on equal cars - there we could talking.