2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Track position has cost McLaren dearly, worst still Leclerc’ pace has been rather enviable

Emag

the EDGE wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:28
Track position has cost McLaren dearly, worst still Leclerc’ pace has been rather enviable
I agree, Leclerc was scary today.

SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:Track position has cost McLaren dearly, worst still Leclerc’ pace has been rather enviable
Ferrari simply had more pace... Lando should get ahead of OCO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xero

Easy in the end. Vital Daniel keeps Carlos behind now.

Darth-Piekus

Yesterday cost us a lot. If we have started in front of the Ferrari we could have ended in front.

Emag

Apart from Leclerc being an absolute beast today, the race didn't go so bad.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Apart from Leclerc being an absolute beast today, the race didn't go so bad.
Today Ferrari simply had more pace, the gap that Leclerc created to Daniel in the first stint was a clear show of that, they had the better car today... At the same time, starting P7 and P9 and finishing P6 - P8 is a great result for the team... Great job by the team with some damage limitation.

Good strategy changing to the Soft tires (OCO was almost passed by GAS in the last lap)... The one stopper wasn’t the right strategy today and the team understood that early enough.

Not a bad weekend! With such a tight battle with Ferrari, there are going to be tracks (like Barcelona) where we may be behind them in raw pace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darth-Piekus

Great race from Danny this time for getting that 6th place. Good recovery from Lando at the end to get 8th. If it wasn't for yesterday we could have finished in front of both Ferraris. Time for my favorite GP the fantastic Monaco.

Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:40
Emag wrote:Apart from Leclerc being an absolute beast today, the race didn't go so bad.
Today Ferrari simply had more pace, the gap that Leclerc created to Daniel in the first stint was a clear show of that, they had the better car today... At the same time, starting P7 and P9 and finishing P6 - P8 is a great result for the team... Great job by the team with some damage limitation.

Good strategy changing to the Soft tires (OCO was almost passed by GAS in the last lap)... The one stopper wasn’t the right strategy today and the team understood that early enough.

Not a bad weekend! With such a tight battle with Ferrari, there are going to be tracks (like Barcelona) where we may be behind them in raw pace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh I agree, Ferrari clearly had more pace today. But it's a long season, I am confident there will be tracks that will suit McLaren more.

FittingMechanics

Decent result. This is what makes teams big, even when you didn't hook everything up, you get a decent result. Good pitstops, good strategy, good driving.

I'm sure if we started further ahead we would have finished higher but that is how it goes.

the EDGE

Danny may have been slow of the mark, but 4 consecutive points finishes, 4 consecutive pole battle wins and a great performance today is really a magical start to his time with McLaren

Darth-Piekus

So what's the difference now for 3rd place?

trinidefender

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:40
Great race from Danny this time for getting that 6th place. Good recovery from Lando at the end to get 8th. If it wasn't for yesterday we could have finished in front of both Ferraris. Time for my favorite GP the fantastic Monaco.
We definitely wouldn't have. Both Ferrari's were considerably faster than both McLaren's today. Riccardo's only kept Sainz behind because of strategy and putting cars between them at key moments until Sainz tyres dropped off at the end. Even if we had done better in qualifying it's likely they still would have gotten past. Learn to do some race analysis

Macklaren

Ferrari was faster in the race but that was likely because of the better starting position. no doubt P4/5 for us today was lost yesterday

Darth-Piekus

I disagree my friend. Considering how hard was to pass here if we have started in front we had a great chance to end in front. Dirty air and all that. Leclerc and Sainz would have destroyed their tyres and heat up their brakes trying to overtake to no avail.