2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

Why did Mercedes gift Verstappen the f. lap point by pitting Bottas ? I mean, it wasn't as if he was in tire trouble and threatened by any1 Bottas...

Mercedes strategy was subpar today. They were so hell bent on coming from behind two use both medium sets, they missed out the opportunity of a rare slow stop from Red Bull to seize track position !

In which case, they could've still pulled out a two stopper, but not only they would've been safer doing it, but also could've used the advantage of track position to hold Verstappen and push him towards Bottas.

Very subpar indeed. The only caveat was coming out ahead of Max, but with the slow stop that cost him two extra seconds, I don't think that would've been a problem.
Last edited by Shrieker on 09 May 2021, 17:01, edited 5 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:54
Better race pace and better tire deg, if Lewis had got into that first corner ahead I wonder what the gap would have been at the end of the race ?
Consequences of a late change to a bendy wing? I never got the impression they were quite comfortable this weekend.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

NathanOlder wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:41
grubschumi13 wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:40
Mercedes have more pace than RBR. It's clear now.
On sundays yes, not on Saturdays yet
Its debatable on the Saturdays I mean 3 poles in 4 races suggests even Saturdays they are quicker. It's very close on Saturday but Sundays, they just have raw pace and better on the tyres.

Zynerji

Meh race.

Congrats to Lewis!

SiLo

Shrieker wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:58
Why did Mercedes gift Verstappen the f. lap point by pitting Bottas ? I mean, it wasn't as if he was in tire trouble and threatened by any1 Bottas...

Mercedes strategy was subpar today. They were so hell bent on coming from behind two use both medium sets, they missed out the opportunity of a rare slow stop from Red Bull to seize track position.

In which case, they could've still pulled out a 2 stopper, but not only they would've been safer doing it, but also could've used the advantage of track position to hold Verstappen and push him towards Bottas.

Very subpar indeed.
I think it was the opposite, it was great. The only problem was Bottas getting stuck in a bunch of traffic and not closing the 10s gap to verstappen after moving to the softs, which he should have done in 5 laps.
Felipe Baby!

Mr.S
Mr.S

Posting after 10 years. YEARS.

Max looks like the fastest driver but Lewis is the most complete & has by far a much better all round team. This was a 2 stop race & Soft-Medium-Medium was the way to (Used Softs is not better than Brand New Mediums even for RBR).

Even @ the cost of Bottas staying out, RBR should have followed Mercedes in. This is the race that they needed Perez up there to take strategic calls & he proved useless. RBR really doesn't look like a championship winning team with too many mistakes & definitely far behind in strategic gambles. Max is dragging them & did everything right with an incredible start & held on to Mercedes. Mercedes' strategy won Lewis the race.

Monaco should favour RBR & the tyres too -

Bahrain/Imola - C2 to C4
Portugal/Spain - C1 to C3

Next 3 Races -
Monaco
Azerbaijan
Canada

All C3 to C5 Tyres

Bahrain/Imola Softs will be Mediums (Where RBR had good speed)
Barhrain/Imola Mediums will be Hards (Where Mercedes were ahead)
The softs will be even more softer than any Softs we have seen.

Monaco will probably give us New Softs (C5 Softs) & Mediums (C4 - Imola Softs). So it would help RBR.

Then we will have 5 races - Britain to Italy with 2 C1 to C3 & 3 C2 to C4. RBR has to try to pip Mercedes in the next 3 races or be in the fight. If Lewis wins 2 out of the next 3 races, it will be very very tough for Max to drag this to the last race !
Last edited by Mr.S on 09 May 2021, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

grubschumi13 wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:00
NathanOlder wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:41
grubschumi13 wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:40
Mercedes have more pace than RBR. It's clear now.
On sundays yes, not on Saturdays yet
Its debatable on the Saturdays I mean 3 poles in 4 races suggests even Saturdays they are quicker. It's very close on Saturday but Sundays, they just have raw pace and better on the tyres.
Well Red Bull were faster in Portimao , but the deleted lap cost them pole. Imola they were definitely faster but lost pole through driver errors. If Perez was 0.03 off pole, Max should have had it. Still it doesn't matter, Mercedes and Lewis getting the job done on sundays is what matters
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

One thing to point out.

Exemplary racing between Hamilton and Verstappen on the first lap, and also at the overtake. 100% fair and clean as a whistle.

El Scorchio

And lovely to see Wolff and Horner being very cordial in a Sky interview together just then. Mutual respect.

MKlaus
MKlaus

El Scorchio wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:07
And lovely to see Wolff and Horner being very cordial in a Sky interview together just then. Mutual respect.
glad they are not from the forum here.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Shrieker wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:58

Mercedes strategy was subpar today. They were so hell bent on coming from behind two use both medium sets, they missed out the opportunity of a rare slow stop from Red Bull to seize track position !

In which case, they could've still pulled out a two stopper, but not only they would've been safer doing it, but also could've used the advantage of track position to hold Verstappen and push him towards Bottas.

Very subpar indeed. The only caveat was coming out ahead of Max, but with the slow stop that cost him two extra seconds, I don't think that would've been a problem.
Uh, what?

“Toto, some forum expert thinks your strategy is subpar” , “hire him, James you’re fired”

:roll: :lol:

Did anyone confirm if Merc did make the front wing adjustment on the first stop?

El Scorchio

MKlaus wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:08
El Scorchio wrote:
Ha! Absolutely.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Only critizism you can give Hamilton today is that he didn’t defend his position at the start by moving to the middle of the track.. He seemed a bit surprised that Verstappen made the attack there, and it was actually close that they touched.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

El Scorchio wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:10
MKlaus wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:08
El Scorchio wrote:
Ha! Absolutely.
If the forum posters on F1 Technical got together and ran a car, they would win every pole, race, fastest lap, and championship. That’s pretty clear. :lol:

maxxer
maxxer

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:54
Better race pace and better tire deg, if Lewis had got into that first corner ahead I wonder what the gap would have been at the end of the race ?
strange Lewis didnt close the door when he could