2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Emag wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:59
Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:56
trinidefender wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:54

If you look at Leclerc's pace in the first stint he was pulling seconds on Riccardo. That would have given him a good delta to get past both Lando and Riccardo, that's also a big ask making the assumption that the car had the pace on this track to qualify in front of Leclerc which was unlikely.
Saw Leclerc's pace but he was in clear air. There is a huge difference when you are in clear air and when you are chasing someone going behind his dirty air causing your breaks to overheat. Perez who had a much faster car than Leclerc had so many problems to pass here.
Daniel was also in free air, and he was losing about 0.2-0.3s per lap compared to Charles in the soft stint before his tires dropped off in the end (and the difference went to above 0.5s per lap). In the second stint it was a bit closer, but Charles was still a bit faster.
I think you'd be as well talking to a brick wall. Those orange tinted glasses are firmly glued on over there! Just be prepared for this result to link it's way back to spygate, somehow. :lol: :P

ScottR267

Xero wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:04
Emag wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:59
Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:56

Saw Leclerc's pace but he was in clear air. There is a huge difference when you are in clear air and when you are chasing someone going behind his dirty air causing your breaks to overheat. Perez who had a much faster car than Leclerc had so many problems to pass here.
Daniel was also in free air, and he was losing about 0.2-0.3s per lap compared to Charles in the soft stint before his tires dropped off in the end (and the difference went to above 0.5s per lap). In the second stint it was a bit closer, but Charles was still a bit faster.
I think you'd be as well talking to a brick wall. Those orange tinted glasses are firmly glued on over there! Just be prepared for this result to link it's way back to spygate, somehow. :lol: :P
Hahaha brilliant mate- could not have worded that any better!

Darth-Piekus

Oh ha ha. Very funny. We have a comedian here.

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:06
Oh ha ha. Very funny. We have a comedian here.
:P

Emag

PhillipM wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:00
It's gonna depend what Ferrari has in hand for upgrades, Mclaren have a diffuser with revised outer edges, brake winglets (same, but not RP ones) and some changes to come at the rear tyre deflectors to match the floor once they're happy with the ride-height/car setup changes the floor needs, so fairly important tweaks, even a tenth a lap would make a fair difference at the minute.
Yeah, I hope Ferrari don't have a "silver bullet" type of update coming any time soon. Would be a shame to lose out to them after the exciting battle we have had in these first couple of races.

the EDGE

Emag wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:55
the EDGE wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:53
After 4 races it definitely starting to look like a 2 horse race for 3rd.... 1 prancing Stallion and a pure-bread Arabian
Yeah, the midfield is completely dominated by McLaren / Ferrari at the moment. The next closest rival is Alpine, 45 points behind, which is an enormous amount in the midfield.
Looking at the constructors table is like stepping back in time 10 years, natural order has ‘nearly’ been restored

Darth-Piekus

Considering the much faster Perez wasn't able to pass Leclerc it's safe to say that the same had a great chance to happen if Lando was in front. I don't see why people are dismissing it so easily to a GP that it's hard to pass. Lando had the pace yesterday in both Q1 and Q2 but Q3 ended in disaster due to circumstances.

Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:10
Considering the much faster Perez wasn't able to pass Leclerc it's safe to say that the same had a great chance to happen if Lando was in front. I don't see why people are dismissing it so easily to a GP that it's hard to pass.
Finishing ahead of Ferrari because they cannot overtake you, and finishing ahead of them because you have the pace to be ahead of them are two different things. People are talking about the latter, and clearly Ferrari had more pace than McLaren today.
Last edited by Emag on 09 May 2021, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

True but people are missing what I am saying all this time. We would have the chance to finish in front because they wouldn't have been able to overtake. If it wasn't for circumstances in Q3 Norris would have started in front and probably stayed in front cause its hard to overtake.

MrGapes

But in all honesty this track is so dreadful... for these massive aero prone f1 cars, it must make you feel helpless as a driver because it take around 1s+ faster pace over the car in front to maybe have a chance at a overtake or otherwise you win or lose in pit stops

Ground Effect

trinidefender wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:54
Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:47
I disagree my friend. Considering how hard was to pass here if we have started in front we had a great chance to end in front. Dirty air and all that. Leclerc and Sainz would have destroyed their tyres and heat up their brakes trying to overtake to no avail.
If you look at Leclerc's pace in the first stint he was pulling seconds on Riccardo. That would have given him a good delta to get past both Lando and Riccardo, that's also a big ask making the assumption that the car had the pace on this track to qualify in front of Leclerc which was unlikely.
With Daniel defending against Checo, his pace was probably affected, that said Leclerc also had to fight off Valtteri early on.... so I guess credit where it’s due, great pace from Leclerc.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bauc

Damage limitation race, I would say good one today, you can't win them all they say.....
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Darth-Piekus

Monaco now in two weeks. What do we expect from this race?

bauc

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:32
Monaco now in two weeks. What do we expect from this race?
We will struggle there as well, I expect something similar like today
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect

The usual post Barcelona GP test would’ve helped in dialling in the upgrades in preparation for Monaco. Hopefully Dan will be his usual strong self there. Need a strong qualifying from both guys.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.