2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Diesel wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:46
Poor effort from Bottas this weekend in terms of driving for the team. Too slow to make an impact on Verstappen in terms of strategy and fastest lap, and held Hamilton up too! I'd be astonished to see Bottas in a Mercedes next year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Bottas having better point tally than Perez and Hamilton pulling away from Max Verstappen, extending their lead in constructors as well, but damn that one point is cruicial, because it will decide if Mercedes wins constructors by 99 or 100 points lead.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

wesley123

Diesel wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:46
Poor effort from Bottas this weekend in terms of driving for the team. Too slow to make an impact on Verstappen in terms of strategy and fastest lap, and held Hamilton up too! I'd be astonished to see Bottas in a Mercedes next year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
It isn’t even like he is left hung out to dry. For the second time in a row strategy handed him clean air, and a faster car to catch the guy in front, and once again he doesn’t manage to do so, meanwhile his teammate makes it look easy.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

proteus wrote:
09 May 2021, 22:03

Until 2014 he had stiff competition from a wide range of drivers/teams and out of that he got 1 title in 7 seasons with different quality of machinery to his disposal. Since 2014 he faced a Nico Rosberg and 2 seasons with somewhat competitive Ferrari and bagged 6 more. No one in history of the sport had such a dominant car and team available for such long period of time.
It is something to be proud of I reckon.
He was already a proven quantity. There were no better drivers on the grid who deserved it more.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

e30ernest

For me personally, I thought Hamilton proved his skill when he went head to head against Alonso in his Rookie Year. Also, bagging all those podiums in his first races with McLaren (no matter how dominant McLaren may have been at the time) got my attention. Here's a rookie, bringing the fight to the great Fernando Alonso. Ever since then, I was convinced that given the right machinery, this driver was going to dominate in the same way Michael Schumacher did.

While he was in a dominant car in the Mercedes, I think it is also important to note his accomplishments outside dominating cars. I do not count the McLaren of 2008 as a dominant car because Ferrari got the WCC that year.

Also, I think Rosberg was an underrated driver. He had an excellent record prior to driving against Lewis. He is at least much much better than Bottas IMO. The outlier I think was where Button outperformed Lewis, but that can be due to distractions in Lewis' personal life too.

One last thing, I think Lewis improves after every major challenge. He's a much different driver to what we saw in 2016 and in my opinion he just keeps improving. I do not think he still possesses the single lap pace he did when he was younger, but I do think he is a more complete racing driver now.

Phil

Wow @ Bottas going against the team. There is a lot of substance IMO that he will not be at Mercedes next year. Certainly not like this. He did bring in the result though - no criticism there.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

Phil wrote:
10 May 2021, 09:55
Wow @ Bottas going against the team. There is a lot of substance IMO that he will not be at Mercedes next year. Certainly not like this. He did bring in the result though - no criticism there.
Yeah agreed, I got the feeling now that he already knows he is leaving, but he knows he is staying for the year (hence his comments last week about not being dropped). Hopefully around the summer break we get a double announcement, 2 year deals for Lewis and George [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

Toto seemed to not really care about it to be honest, said he understood that Bottas is a racer and it's still very early in the season. Lewis echoed those comments.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

SiLo wrote:
10 May 2021, 12:40
Toto seemed to not really care about it to be honest, said he understood that Bottas is a racer and it's still very early in the season. Lewis echoed those comments.
Toto said it would have been different if Bottas had cost them the win, but as it was, it didn't so he could be chilled about it.

Lewis claimed not to even know that Bottas had been asked to let him through. I'm surprised that the team didn't tell him that Bottas would do so and at which corner it would happen. These things are often fairly tightly controlled by the teams to ensure minimum lap time loss from the swap.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mkay

The Guardian reporting Hamilton looking for a 2-year contract at Merc.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... al-2022-f1

I'd assume it'd be a 1+1 type deal...

nacho

How much time did Hamilton lose, it was a couple of corners unless Bottas really slowed down like being lapped?

dans79

Looks like some of these guys have long gardening periods after all.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/red-bull ... staff.html
It will be "a long time" before many of Red Bull's new engine department recruits can start work.

That is the word from Toto Wolff, as Mercedes reels from the loss of at least 15 members of its ultra-successful F1 engine operations at Brixworth.

"Some of them cannot to go the new company, Red Bull Powertrains, before the end of 2023 - so a long time," the Mercedes team boss told Sky Deutschland.
197 104 103 7

SiLo

nacho wrote:
10 May 2021, 14:03
How much time did Hamilton lose, it was a couple of corners unless Bottas really slowed down like being lapped?
It wasn't too much, maybe 1 second overall. Lewis passed him before T10 and really only caught him around Turn2-3.
Felipe Baby!

Phil

AFAIK (and according to the ORF broadcast) it was around 1.6s. He did it fairly quick, but was definitely held up.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

Phil wrote:
10 May 2021, 15:53
AFAIK (and according to the ORF broadcast) it was around 1.6s. He did it fairly quick, but was definitely held up.
Yeah, Im sure his lap time dropped and was closer to 2 seconds than 1 second. I'll check...

edit..

Hamilton's previos laps were
1.21.2 (At the end of this lap Lewis was under 1 second behind and in turbulent air)

then the lap he passed Bottas

So looking at the was around 1.4 - 1.7 seconds comparing to the previous 2 laps.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Marty_Y

That was a inspired roll of the dice from Mercedes with the strategy yesterday and a incredible performance from Lewis to pull it off. When they said he would catch Max with a lap left, I thought they would be cutting it too fine. But Lewis managed to do fast lap after fast lap and caught him with plenty of time to spare, it was brilliant.

The last couple of races Pirelli has brought the hardest three compounds of tyres and Mercedes performance has been very good, does anyone think that when softer compounds are brought Mercedes will struggle with them?