Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Hoffman900

Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... s/6507003/
Questions over the design of the Red Bull rear wing in particular were floated in Barcelona last weekend after Lewis Hamilton suggested its design was ‘bendy’.

The inference was that Red Bull could be exploiting a more flexible wing that rotates down on the straights to boost top speed, but then comes up back up into a normal position for the corners for maximum downforce.

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner was clear, however, that its wing design had been given the all-clear by the FIA and passed all the current pullback tests that are used to test the rigidity of the designs.

“Of course the cars are scrutineered thoroughly and there's pull back tests, and there's all kinds of different tests it has to pass,” he said. “The FIA are completely happy with the car, that it has passed all of those tests that are pretty stringent.”

But on Tuesday, sources have revealed that the FIA has written to all teams and informed them that it is concerned teams are exploiting designs that pass the static tests but still flex at speed.

In the note, a copy of which has been seen by Motorsport.com, the FIA states that it is aware of designs that comply with the current tests but ‘nonetheless exhibit excessive deflections while the cars are in motion.”

It adds: “We believe that such deformations can have a significant influence on the car’s aerodynamic performance.”

In response to its concerns, the FIA has stated that it is to enact a clause in F1’s technical regulations that allows it to introduce new tests.

Article 3.9.9 of F1’s Technical Regulations states: “The FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.”

The FIA note details a series of new tests that are being introduced and focus on the characteristics of a wing that rotates backwards at speed. The current regulations check on bodywork not deflecting either one degree horizontally, or 3mm vertically, when certain forces are attached to them.

For the new test, the FIA is focusing on the behaviour of wings as they rotate backwards.

The tests will include limiting the rear wing to just one degree of rotation about an axis normal to the centre plane when two rearward and horizontal 750N loads are applied at a set location. A further test, involving a 1000N vertical and downforce force, will similarly allow just one degree of rotation.

The hope is that the tests will clamp down on teams trying to push the boundaries with clever designs that move when out on track and in a manner that is currently not checked for when the car is stationary.

With the potential being for some teams to need to strengthen their rear wings to ensure they comply with the new tests, a grace period has been introduced. So current designs will still be valid for the next races in Monaco, Baku and Turkey, before the checks come into force from June 15.

The first race after that date is currently the French GP on June 27, but there could be a calendar shuffle if the Turkish GP is axed.

Horner revealed in Spain that he had been spoken to by Mercedes boss Toto Wolff about the matter.

Speaking about Hamilton’s claims regarding a bendy wing, Horner said: “I was surprised to see his comments on that. But it's something that Toto has mentioned to me previously. I doubt it was Lewis' opinion, so probably came from elsewhere.”
Curious to see who / how much this effects certain teams.
Last edited by Steven on 19 May 2021, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic renamed after decision to also discuss the actual wings in here and less so in the car threads

RZS10

Re: FIA Rear Wing Test - 2021

It should be quite easy to spot unless teams make them look exactly the same whilst changing material properties, no?

SmallSoldier

On the Austrian GP last season there were shots showing the Red Bull wing deflecting a lot on the straights... It was quiet curious and I haven’t seeing any other wings deflect as much on the onboards... It should increase the drag on the straights for them... How much is a good question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoffman900

SmallSoldier wrote:
12 May 2021, 01:02
On the Austrian GP last season there were shots showing the Red Bull wing deflecting a lot on the straights... It was quiet curious and I haven’t seeing any other wings deflect as much on the onboards... It should increase the drag on the straights for them... How much is a good question

Mercedes is doing it as well, as noted in Silverstone. There has been grumbling by Toto and Lewis, so I suspect RB is getting away with more of it.

mkay

Hoffman900 wrote:
12 May 2021, 01:04
SmallSoldier wrote:

Mercedes is doing it as well, as noted in Silverstone. There has been grumbling by Toto and Lewis, so I suspect RB is getting away with more of it.
Do you have any footage?

If Merc called this out, I suspect they aren't doing it this year, or not to a degree that would fall foul of the rules.

Hoffman900

Consider the source, so take it with a grain of salt: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... 1/4853899/

The new ruling should make the DRS effect greater. It’ll be interesting to see DRS closed vs open deltas now to after they change it.

Zynerji

Maybe this helps Perez?

Hoffman900

Zynerji wrote:
12 May 2021, 01:49
Maybe this helps Perez?
How?

Zynerji

Hoffman900 wrote:
12 May 2021, 01:50
Zynerji wrote:
12 May 2021, 01:49
Maybe this helps Perez?
How?
If the wing is flexing now, that could be very unstable until your body adapts to the progressiveness. If they stiffen it and that goes away, Perez may be ahead of Verstappen until HE readjusts.

dans79

Hoffman900 wrote:
12 May 2021, 01:04
SmallSoldier wrote:

Every car on the grid does it to some extent, as the wings, uprights, and floors aren't perfectly rigid structures. The FIA is always trying to determine what's incidental and what's intentional.
197 104 103 7

Hoffman900

Oh absolutely.

Marty_Y

I don't know if this is correct but I heard that in theory the wing bends back when the car is travelling at speed down the straight, reducing drag and increasing top speed. Then when the car slows for a corner it pops forward to the correct position increasing down force and helping the car corner.

Whatever static tests they're doing doesn't replicate the loads the car is under when traveling at speed, so I'd guess the clever engineers know how to make it just stiff enough to pass the tests but flexible enough to behave how they want.
That is if any of this is actually true and not the teams making accusations and playing mind games.

SmallSoldier

This is footage from the Austrian GP last season... The amount of flex of Red Bull’s rear wing seems pretty big, trying to find footage of other teams for comparison

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrunoH

its not total wing flex its suspension thats pushed down due to downforce

dans79

BrunoH wrote:
12 May 2021, 05:30
its not total wing flex its suspension thats pushed down due to downforce
watch the deflection relative to the tip of the shark fin, thats takes the suspension out of the equation.
197 104 103 7