Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: FIA Rear Wing Test - 2021

I mean it's not difficult, they're both rigidly attached to the sprung part of the car, so suspension movement or squat has nothing to do with it :?

SiLo

Squat has literally nothing to do with the relative movement of the wing compared to the rest of the chassis which the rules state should be rigid. The car could have no wheels or suspension on it, sitting on the plank doing 180mph and you would still see the rear wing flexing backwards.

The real kicker will be figuring out if it's actually the rear part of the floor that the wing is attached to flexing or just the wing. If it's also the floor then the effective area of the diffuser is also being reduced.
Felipe Baby!

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

This thread has some good examples of confirmation bias in effect.

PhillipM
PhillipM

SiLo wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:31
Squat has literally nothing to do with the relative movement of the wing compared to the rest of the chassis which the rules state should be rigid. The car could have no wheels or suspension on it, sitting on the plank doing 180mph and you would still see the rear wing flexing backwards.

The real kicker will be figuring out if it's actually the rear part of the floor that the wing is attached to flexing or just the wing. If it's also the floor then the effective area of the diffuser is also being reduced.
The last time this was a big issue they were also rotating and flexing the diffuser where the end plates were attached, you can see some movement in the lower pillars so there will be some effect, I don't see it being as much as previously though as the kinked endplates along with the pillars only being at the front of the wing (which helps the wing itself rotate down) will make the attachment to the diffuser much less stiff anyway.

RZS10

Blackout wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:23
Dont underestimate the squatting effect and the parallax effect :P
Counterpoint to this is the Williams rear wing in Bahrain which appears to be completly immovable compared to the others ... i'll try to find it and put the lines on that thing
Last edited by RZS10 on 13 May 2021, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
13 May 2021, 13:33
godlameroso wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:54
NathanOlder wrote:
13 May 2021, 11:06

That only works if the 1 meter board is moving independently from your head. If the 1 meter board is fixed to your chin. then the object close to you moves around the same as the end of the stick from your view. Unless of course the board is flexing.
Have you tried it? I get it's in fashion to contradict me, Hamilton fans live up to his message of understanding and inclusivity, truly makes me feel like we race as one!

Even better if you have a go pro, or small camera you can mount. Then everything is fixed on the same perspective. Post results I don't mind being wrong. So far I show logic and reasoning behind my opinion, use as many facts as possible. Avoid he said she said stuff, like quoting an entire Matt Sommers article that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I have a feeling you're focusing on my finger and not what it is pointing at.
I am focusing on what I am seeing, and thats long before you arrived with your new theory. I feel it's you that is focusing on the finger and not what everyone else is pointing at. If your theory was correct, then more cars would 'appear' to flex as much as RedBull, why would they be any different. I think you are wrong here like you were with the RB16b's pace in the last race.
Umm Ferrari, Alpine, McLaren ALL exhibit the same exact behavior, why would all high rake cars behave the same? Gee I wonder if high rake cars all squat at speed. Short memories guys you already forgot Ferrari testing in 2019.

Last edited by godlameroso on 13 May 2021, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

LM10
LM10

It's interesting that RedBull together with Alpha Tauri had the slowest speed trap figures in Barcelona. Was the Honda PU maybe turned down to prevent such speculations?

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:47
NathanOlder wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:54

Have you tried it? I get it's in fashion to contradict me, Hamilton fans live up to his message of understanding and inclusivity, truly makes me feel like we race as one!

Even better if you have a go pro, or small camera you can mount. Then everything is fixed on the same perspective. Post results I don't mind being wrong. So far I show logic and reasoning behind my opinion, use as many facts as possible. Avoid he said she said stuff, like quoting an entire Matt Sommers article that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I have a feeling you're focusing on my finger and not what it is pointing at.
I am focusing on what I am seeing, and thats long before you arrived with your new theory. I feel it's you that is focusing on the finger and not what everyone else is pointing at. If your theory was correct, then more cars would 'appear' to flex as much as RedBull, why would they be any different. I think you are wrong here like you were with the RB16b's pace in the last race.
Umm Ferrari, Alpine, McLaren ALL exhibit the same exact behavior, why would all high rake cars behave the same? Gee I wonder if high rake cars all squat at speed. Short memories guys you already forgot Ferrari testing in 2019.
Ferrari, Mclaren and Renault don't move as much as RedBull, they are flexing, but less. RedBull appear to be taking it to the extreme and now something has come of it. All the cars squat at speed, low rake , high rake. There really isn't much difference between the two.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

LM10 wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:48
It's interesting that RedBull together with Alpha Tauri had the slowest speed trap figures in Barcelona. Was the Honda PU maybe turned down to prevent such speculations?
Oh no, Hamilton says that wing adds 3 tenths. Never mind they were slow on the straights, that's just physical evidence, meaningless. Right guys?
Saishū kōnā

RZS10

The rear facing cam isn't a self levelling gyro cam or anything ... if it was then yes, the squat would also mean that the rear wing would appear to move downwards, but the camera is fixed. :roll:

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:49
godlameroso wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:47
NathanOlder wrote:

Ferrari, Mclaren and Renault don't move as much as RedBull, they are flexing, but less. RedBull appear to be taking it to the extreme and now something has come of it. All the cars squat at speed, low rake , high rake. There really isn't much difference between the two.

You sure?
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

I mean your video there shows more flex on the RB wing even though the Ferrari is running a much bigger/higher downforce/higher drag wing. So it's proving the opposite of what you're trying to say. So what's the point in posting the video with no analysis of what you intend it to say? :wtf:

NathanOlder

PhillipM wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:54
I mean your video there shows more flex on the RB wing even though the Ferrari is running a much bigger/higher downforce/higher drag wing. So it's proving the opposite of what you're trying to say. So what's the point in posting the video with no analysis of what you intend it to say? :wtf:
I guess this will all be cleared up in the next few races, so we will wait and see.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

NathanOlder wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:59
PhillipM wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:54
I guess this will all be cleared up in the next few races, so we will wait and see.
Yeah probably for the best, the arguments here are getting silly.
Felipe Baby!

Wouter

SiLo wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:16
godlameroso wrote:
13 May 2021, 02:49
I want to put this to bed. You people are literally mistaking the change in ride height at speed as a bending wing. I can show you all the physical proof to show you there's no bending wing whatsoever, you will still tell me I'm wrong regardless of physical evidence showing you the truth.

The wing passes all tests, and will do so again in France AS IS.

Let's use a little logic. The front of the RB16B is stiffly sprung as it's close to the ground, thus the front end moves less than the rear end. The rear end is softly sprung in relation, it rolls and dives and squats. If you pay attention to the upper wishbones, the end plate and the rear tires, you can see this is clearly the case.

Mercedes says RB's wing is illegal, and all the F1 tabloids just roll with it, never bothering to wonder why in God's green earth does it pass ALL FIA tests. The simplest answer is usually the right one, either the FIA are incompetent(possible), RBR is cheating(unlikely), or the car squatting at speed is mistaken as a bending wing because of the suggestion of a powerful figure with a lot of power in F1, and people simply follow the path of least resistance(simplest).

Downvote away.

At this point you're either an idiot, or a troll.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion / truth.

Are you immediately an idiot or a troll if you do that?
The Power of Dreams!