2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

ripleysend wrote:
13 May 2021, 10:01
mwillems wrote:
13 May 2021, 09:41
Whatever it is, it's a big project.

So on the table is:

New major investors, Non engine related and possibly chinese
Purchasing of Riccardo
FE and WEC entries
Specific enhanced Mercedes partnership
Specific BMW/VAG partnership (Or any other major motor manufacturer)
Purchasing a stake in a smaller team (Could we have invested in Williams?)

Personally I think it is a partnership with a motor manufacturer, or specifically investment from VAG group.

But somehow I think it could be something quite leftfield, otherwise why would they get us as excited as this.
I don't think it will be a chinese buyout or investment, Latifi made a significant investment and that was a byline in many ways, but on the other hand, Mclaren as an F1 team has been actively on the market since June of last year. Still, I'm going with a major motor manufacturer investing in the group and having a tie in with the F1 team.

And I'll put one more crazy thing on the table, but will almost never happen (In fact I don't think it could happen), but I want to pull the grenade and walk away..... !!!

HONDA TO RETURN TO MCLAREN!
Some interesting ideas there. Re BMW - there's certainly been discussions with BMW on various things from FE to road car collaboration, so not out of the realm of possibility. Williams of course now has plenty of ex McLaren in senior positions so not also crazy, although would Williams' current investors welcome new ownership so soon after making their acquisition? McLaren becoming works Merc team also very interesting thought.
From what has been reported on quite a few occasions, BMW have zero interest and appetite to return to F1. VAG however have been flirting and holding talks recently. McLaren, Williams and Red Bull have been mentioned. I’m not ruling out stronger ties with Mercedes though, but a real dream scenario would be VAG coming on board, headed by Andy Cowell.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

rorythetiger
rorythetiger

Can anyone explain what this potential of purchasing Riccardo is? What is Riccardo?!!

djos

They make racing gearbox systems and for high end sports cars too.
"In downforce we trust"

I believe McLaren own an interest in Ricardo already though?
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

McG

rorythetiger wrote:
13 May 2021, 13:32
Can anyone explain what this potential of purchasing Riccardo is? What is Riccardo?!!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ricardo ... e&ie=UTF-8
F1 is dead.

mwillems

ripleysend wrote:
mwillems wrote:

So on the table is:

Purchasing of Riccardo
FE and WEC entries

Personally I think it is a partnership with a motor manufacturer, or specifically investment from VAG group.

But somehow I think it could be something quite leftfield, otherwise why would they get us as excited as this.
I don't think it will be a chinese buyout or investment, Latifi made a significant investment and that was a byline in many ways, but on the other hand, Mclaren as an F1 team has been actively on the market since June of last year. Still, I'm going with a major motor manufacturer investing in the group and having a tie in with the F1 team.

And I'll put one more crazy thing on the table, but will almost never happen (In fact I don't think it could happen), but I want to pull the grenade and walk away..... !!!

Some interesting ideas there. Re BMW - there's certainly been discussions with BMW on various things from FE to road car collaboration, so not out of the realm of possibility. Williams of course now has plenty of ex McLaren in senior positions so not also crazy, although would Williams' current investors welcome new ownership so soon after making their acquisition? McLaren becoming works Merc team also very interesting thought.
If they became a customer for our parts then it would save Williams and Mclaren some money, but yes. Would it fit with the "Vision" of Williams, probably not. But I don't know how much those venture capitalists care about that.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
13 May 2021, 10:17
ripleysend wrote:
mwillems wrote:

So on the table is:

Purchasing of Riccardo
FE and WEC entries

From what has been reported on quite a few occasions, BMW have zero interest and appetite to return to F1. VAG however have been flirting and holding talks recently. McLaren, Williams and Red Bull have been mentioned. I’m not ruling out stronger ties with Mercedes though, but a real dream scenario would be VAG coming on board, headed by Andy Cowell.
Well I didn't want to go too far into dreamworld, but at about the same time that Audi announced they would leave FE, Mclaren announced an interest. It could be completely coincidental, or not.

Mclaren as a team are a very strong way for any manufacturer to raise a profile in Motorsports, and Mclaren joining FE themselves would be a great way for FE to raise their profile.

Which raises one further option, the agreement could be for Electrical Powertrains or for the joint development of electrical Powertrains.

Now that would be big enough to warrant this excitement. I wonder if we are going to jointly develop Electrical powertrains with VAG and replace them in FE, theres a ton of ways that could make business sense.

No longer FE expenditure for Audi, still raise the profile for Audi and Mclaren, Mclaren save expense on Electrical development and still go into FE. The FIA could potentially incentivise Mclaren to join FE, as it would be massive, therefore everyone get's what they want. Perhaps VAG take a small stake in Mclaren whilst they undergo this partnership, with VAG supplying engines to Mclaren for the fully electrical sportscars.

<Rubs knees excitedly for a far too long period of time for it to be acceptable> Oh Please be true. </Stops rubbing knees>

adrianjordan

As someone who has just got an Audi etron (not the GT sadly lol) I would absolutely LOVE a VAG tie in with McLaren, especially under the Audi brand (which somehow seems the best fit for McLaren), but I agree with others who say there's a conflict between Porsche and McLaren.

The again, VAG compete with themselves in a way with the Audi R8 being a competitor for the Porsche 911 and to an extent Lambos as well.

There's also the rumour that Porsche will very soon only have the 911 that's not, at the very least, a hybrid, so potentially some synergy there.

Personally, as a none rich person who will never buy a supercar (barring lottery win or long lost relative turning out to be a millionaire). I'm convinced that someone who wants a 911 isn't going to look at McLaren or Ferrari etc anyway. Likewise someone who wants a McLaren isn't going to look at Porsche. I feel like both brands have loyalty because of the brand, not the specific cars they produce. So maybe there isn't the competition there then we may perceive.

Oh come on. Is it not Sunday yet?? 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:10
Ground Effect wrote:
ripleysend wrote:

Well I didn't want to go too far into dreamworld, but at about the same time that Audi announced they would leave FE, Mclaren announced an interest. It could be completely coincidental, or not.

Mclaren as a team are a very strong way for any manufacturer to raise a profile in Motorsports, and Mclaren joining FE themselves would be a great way for FE to raise their profile.

Which raises one further option, the agreement could be for Electrical Powertrains or for the joint development of electrical Powertrains.

Now that would be big enough to warrant this excitement. I wonder if we are going to jointly develop Electrical powertrains with VAG and replace them in FE, theres a ton of ways that could make business sense.

No longer FE expenditure for Audi, still raise the profile for Audi and Mclaren, Mclaren save expense on Electrical development and still go into FE. The FIA could potentially incentivise Mclaren to join FE, as it would be massive, therefore everyone get's what they want. Perhaps VAG take a small stake in Mclaren whilst they undergo this partnership, with VAG supplying engines to Mclaren for the fully electrical sportscars.

<Rubs knees excitedly for a far too long period of time for it to be acceptable> Oh Please be true. </Stops rubbing knees>
This actually sounds extremely plausible and makes a ton of sense, but what would be the link to F1? A lot of the journalists who commented were using the F1 hashtag. Plus, wasn’t it mentioned that both F1 drivers were present in the media briefing? Anyways, it’s possible the hashtag was used as McLaren is most synonymous with F1.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Balalu
Balalu

The way I'm understanding it: it has mostly to do with F1 but also good for the whoole brand. So I don't see how a number of what is mentioned here are even plausible.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:30
mwillems wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:10
Ground Effect wrote:

This actually sounds extremely plausible and makes a ton of sense, but what would be the link to F1? A lot of the journalists who commented were using the F1 hashtag. Plus, wasn’t it mentioned that both F1 drivers were present in the media briefing? Anyways, it’s possible the hashtag was used as McLaren is most synonymous with F1.
I think you're right and I don't think it is the reason, no matter how plausible it sounds. But if you wanted to find a way around it, it would be because part of the funding comes from VAG being a title sponsor. Having Audi as our sponsor would raise our own profile somewhat but would also add a prestige to our sponsors portfolio, and potentially our rate card. There's a few ways you could make it work with an Audi tie in across the group.

And I think that would work, but I think I am also trying to fit solutions around and idea that wouldn't get off the ground.

But then, do we even have much to offer on Electrical powertrain development?
Last edited by mwillems on 13 May 2021, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
ripleysend wrote:
mwillems wrote:

So on the table is:

Purchasing of Riccardo
FE and WEC entries

No.

Andy Cowell riding a Papaya Unicorn.

diffuser

Didn't they have something like this year hat ended up being a gaming thing ?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:49
Ground Effect wrote:
ripleysend wrote:

No.

:lol: =D>

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
13 May 2021, 15:15
mwillems wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:49
Ground Effect wrote:

No.

:lol: =D>
So I post a very interesting proposal on Electric Powertrain tie ins, and you upvote Andy Cowell on a Papaya Unicorn :lol: :lol: :lol: