2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

Mansell89 wrote:
13 May 2021, 11:55
Is this how you’d expect it to go at Monaco? I think Red Bull will get the edge on Merc there from what I’ve seen visually but looking for some more data- especially Sector 3 long runs ideally.
Max pole and win, would be my thinking. Even Merc's strategy team and Hamilton's tyre whispering won't help them if Max gets through Sainte Devote first. Monaco just doesn't allow racing so qualifying and start line performance is really all that matters. Race pace, as it's considered at real circuits, is largely irrelevant.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 May 2021, 13:53
Mansell89 wrote:
Is this how you’d expect it to go at Monaco? I think Red Bull will get the edge on Merc there from what I’ve seen visually but looking for some more data- especially Sector 3 long runs ideally.
Max pole and win, would be my thinking. Even Merc's strategy team and Hamilton's tyre whispering won't help them if Max gets through Sainte Devote first. Monaco just doesn't allow racing so qualifying and start line performance is really all that matters. Race pace, as it's considered at real circuits, is largely irrelevant.
Depends where Lewis in in terms of an undercut.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 May 2021, 13:53
Mansell89 wrote:
The only possibility I could see is a jump in the pits- so that could be a card to play for RBR if they can use their advantage with stops, nail it and emerge ahead from being right behind.

But yes, otherwise I expect it'll be whoever gets into the first corner first will probably win assuming no untoward issues. I can't see either of the two protagonists risking a DNF with an ambitious overtake.

I don't want to be cruel, but safety car could also be very significant. I can imagine Mazepin could well be in the wall sooner or later. In fact, that could happen in Q1 and really catch people out, if they don't have a strong banker lap. But you'd hate to see either Verstappen or Hamilton start way down the grid because of something like that.

And I hope no-one plays silly buggers with yellow flags in Q3 either.

PlatinumZealot

Saftey car is a 100% chance of happening with these tyres and these rookies.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:58
Saftey car is a 100% chance of happening with these tyres and these rookies.
Completely agree! I'd be surprised not to see a couple at least. The timing of which could be critical for the race result.

SiLo

Max pits > Mazespin > SC > Lewis free stop > fan rage

Something like this?
Felipe Baby!

MKlaus

whoever is on pole wins the race. safety car would have no bearing. no opportunity for undercut if the leader keeps the pack bunched up. comfortable one stop race. unless a 2015 or 2016 like blunders are done by the leading team, it would be a usual procession at the front.
if a safety car happens within 15 laps, it would be soft-hard and the race is done. if safety car happens after 20 or 25 laps, then it's soft-medium and the race is done.

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:26

I don't want to be cruel, but safety car could also be very significant. I can imagine Mazepin could well be in the wall sooner or later. In fact, that could happen in Q1 and really catch people out, if they don't have a strong banker lap. But you'd hate to see either Verstappen or Hamilton start way down the grid because of something like that.

I seriously suggest that Mazepin shouldn't be allowed out in Q1 until everyone else has set a lap time.

I don't think anyone is going to "do a Schumacher" and park it having secured pole. At least, I would be surprised if anyone tries it. I think the current crop aren't of that mindset.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MKlaus

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 May 2021, 16:20
El Scorchio wrote:
13 May 2021, 14:26

I seriously suggest that Mazepin shouldn't be allowed out in Q1 until everyone else has set a lap time.

I don't think anyone is going to "do a Schumacher" and park it having secured pole. At least, I would be surprised if anyone tries it. I think the current crop aren't of that mindset.
one can hope a driver won't close the eyes and bangs the driver in front waiting for lights to go green at the pit exit. at least, i would be surprised if anyone does it. i think the current crop don't sleep in the car. :lol:

PlatinumZealot

Track position is king in Monaco and as such it's a chicken game whoever pits first. Pit now to get the undercut, the other guys keeps going hoping for a safety car. Low tyre deg too so he wont be losing much time.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2021, 18:00
Track position is king in Monaco and as such it's a chicken game whoever pits first. Pit now to get the undercut, the other guys keeps going hoping for a safety car. Low tyre deg too so he wont be losing much time.
Don't forget Vettel beat kimi with an overcut in 2017!
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
13 May 2021, 18:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
And if its 2 Mercs vs Max, then Bottas will go undercut with Lewis overcut. Max will struggle to win that one. Sergio better be in the mix
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
13 May 2021, 18:26
dans79 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
And if its 2 Mercs vs Max, then Bottas will go undercut with Lewis overcut. Max will struggle to win that one. Sergio better be in the mix
On a normal circuit yes. On Monaco it’s who dares to blink first. We’ve seen with Ricciardo and Hamilton last time, that track position is so important that you could win with gone tires or a faulty ERS. Suspect the pitstops at the first opportunity there is free air or when there is a safety car in the first ⅓ of the race.

dans79

Jolle wrote:
13 May 2021, 18:39
NathanOlder wrote:
dans79 wrote:

On a normal circuit yes. On Monaco it’s who dares to blink first. We’ve seen with Ricciardo and Hamilton last time, that track position is so important that you could win with gone tires or a faulty ERS. Suspect the pitstops at the first opportunity there is free air or when there is a safety car in the first ⅓ of the race.
Even that depends on where the opposing team's second driver is. If the opposing team's second driver isn't in contention but within the pit window, they will be left out to dissuade the undercut, or act as a moving road block until their teammate pulls off an overcut!
197 104 103 7

MKlaus

NathanOlder wrote:
dans79 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
for anyone to go for an undercut, there has to be a window that opens behind. generally, that window opens first for the leader when he controls the pace. i don't think the leader would run away on this track allowing an undercut window for the car behind. if there is no window available and the trailing driver pits, he would come out behind a very slow mid field cars and ends up losing a lot of time allowing the leading driver to then pit next and come out ahead. it's all about how well the leader of the packs controls the pace. it rarely happens that a car that is not on pole wins in monaco. almost never in the last decade barring major cockups. that two driver against one doesn't hold water here.