Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2021, 15:47
MKlaus wrote:
12 May 2021, 14:59
adrianjordan wrote:
12 May 2021, 14:45

But Fangio had a teammate literally hand over his car. Lewis has never had that [\sarcasm] 🤔😂
no driver from late nineties onwards had to contend with the fact that, he wouldn't walkout alive from the car. every single race. that makes it easy to drive an f1 car.
statistics doesn't make a driver goat. skills displayed in various situations make and to that extent, the drivers of fangio's era, each one of them is a goat. 95% of the current crop would resign from f1 if they are asked to drive those cars on those tracks and under those dreadful safety conditions. the remaining ones hardly survive long enough to rack up the stats.
every grown up adult knows having a dominant car for prolonged time in modern cars helps easily racks up stats. lewis belongs to modern day greats for having displayed great driving skills in modern cars under various conditions that are considered challenging in modern times.
his stats are all achieved under dominant cars with a meak and feeble team mate. while his team mates didn't jump put to make way for him, but he has longer career in great cars unlike any other driver in history. he is undoubtedly a great driver, but not because of stats.
other than fangio, clark probably was the greatest driver of history. it was so unfortunate f1 couldn't witness him long. he was considered blinding fast and probably the fastest there ever was.
There was a thread for this topic, argued to death, so pretty much the topic is boring for like 98% of the users here. Sir Lewis Hamilton is a great obviously, but if he is the greatest of all time will always depend on who you ask. It's like politics, you pretty much wont' convince anyone to change their views.
That's the first sensible thing you've written in days PZ! :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

tangodjango
tangodjango

Regarding the 2022 cars, here is a good quote by David Sanchez : Sanchez adds: “Aerodynamically the cars are dramatically different from current ones but fundamentally we are looking for similar things – but achieving it a different way. Everything we learned and developed in the last few years is still very valid.

“You always want more. The budget cap is making us think where you really want to put the priority. A good thing is we’ve been developing in the last few years the necessary tools to do this and so I think we’re in a good place. You have to be pragmatic in how you use resource, you need to be more focused on priorities.

“Without the cap anything which makes the car faster you take it. Now with the cap you need to think about, with the resource you have, what is the top priority for improvement, what will give the biggest return. It also puts a lot more focus on the early phase of the car because next year if you put on a track a car which has a large weakness it’s going to be a pretty uphill battle to recover.”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-unkn ... 1-turmoil/
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

McMika98
McMika98

NathanOlder wrote:
11 May 2021, 09:17
MKlaus wrote:
11 May 2021, 08:19
Zynerji wrote:
11 May 2021, 04:32

Just racking up easy records to prove he's the GOAT?
i had told this sometime back. some lewis fans dread a highly competitive driver alongside him at mercedes
I don't know any and I don't think there are any here. We all want George in the car next to him in 2022, It will be handing over the baton to the next British ruler. I don't know how long Lewis can keep this level up so he will fall eventually.
OK, we have a big one.

Max is taking the Merc seat next year, you heard it here first hand. So either Hamilton, Max or Max, Russell.

NathanOlder

McMika98 wrote:
12 May 2021, 22:30
NathanOlder wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
11 May 2021, 08:19
i had told this sometime back. some lewis fans dread a highly competitive driver alongside him at mercedes
I don't know any and I don't think there are any here. We all want George in the car next to him in 2022, It will be handing over the baton to the next British ruler. I don't know how long Lewis can keep this level up so he will fall eventually.
OK, we have a big one.

Max is taking the Merc seat next year, you heard it here first hand. So either Hamilton, Max or Max, Russell.
So Russell joins RedBull and wins the 2022 championship.
Max and Lewis fight too hard and lose to many points.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

Or Hamilton to Red Bull and he wins again. :shock:

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
12 May 2021, 23:03
McMika98 wrote:
12 May 2021, 22:30
NathanOlder wrote:

OK, we have a big one.

So Russell joins RedBull and wins the 2022 championship.
Max and Lewis fight too hard and lose to many points.
I don't know Russell would do the job at red bull. Look how many seemingly good drivers have failed to push Max there. There seems to be a peculiarity to that car that Max has the key to and others do not seem able to find.
It was possibly the same when Vettel had his purple patch in the predecessor to that car, and he has not really impressed anywhere since.

I see it as somewhat of the poison chalice to someone with a reputation and no track record. It could end his career.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

I think Lando is currently the best young driver. He really woke up this season.
Or.. Daniel was really making the Mclaren look bad. It will be interesting to see Daniel come up to speed to really see if Lando was getting the most out of the car, or if the car is really the a very close third best car.
What I think is clear is that his race craft is very good and his feistiness on the track.
For Sure!!

MKlaus
MKlaus

ringo wrote:
13 May 2021, 07:29
I think Lando is currently the best young driver. He really woke up this season.
Or.. Daniel was really making the Mclaren look bad. It will be interesting to see Daniel come up to speed to really see if Lando was getting the most out of the car, or if the car is really the a very close third best car.
What I think is clear is that his race craft is very good and his feistiness on the track.
he is trailing 3-1 to ric in qualifying and leading 3-1 in races. spain was the first race where ric outraced him. lando was complaining that the upgrades did not work. when ric is fully up to speed, lando might just fall behind. he has two years of experience in mclaren over ric.
two years with sainz and except for 2019 qualifying, he couldn't do much against sainz.

NathanOlder

MKlaus wrote:
13 May 2021, 08:30
ringo wrote:
13 May 2021, 07:29
he is trailing 3-1 to ric in qualifying and leading 3-1 in races. spain was the first race where ric outraced him. lando was complaining that the upgrades did not work. when ric is fully up to speed, lando might just fall behind. he has two years of experience in mclaren over ric.
two years with sainz and except for 2019 qualifying, he couldn't do much against sainz.

https://i.ibb.co/RQhFBqv/image.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/rpxrwM8/Screenshot-202 ... Chrome.jpg
Looks to me as though as a rookie he did very well against Sainz , then in the second year was almost a dead heat. Lando on the rise and continues to improve. The next few races will be very interesting at Mclaren. Don't write Lando off so quickly.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ringo

Right I was talking about 2021, he is much improved. Riciardo is not an easy driver to make look ordinary.
I think people will continue to ignore him for the big three; Max, Lec, Rus. But he will surprise everyone in 2 years I feel. Mclaren's 2022 car I feel will be a closer 3rd best car.
For Sure!!

McMika98
McMika98

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... f/6507171/

In order words, Max is the only option as Hamilton successor. Was I ever on the mark last week with the prediction.

El Scorchio

McMika98 wrote:
14 May 2021, 17:57
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... f/6507171/

In order words, Max is the only option as Hamilton successor. Was I ever on the mark last week with the prediction.
Interesting. I see that article as Wolff more or less saying it's not going to be Verstappen, as a response to an assumption he would be.

"You always look at the group of people that could be in a Mercedes in the future,"

"Max is certainly a fantastic star of the future, but he's not the only one. And I see a group coming up of really good young drivers that are not yet in the machines they need in order to win. And in that respect, it's good to see the way how that pans out."

FWIW I don't think Verstappen gets into that car before Russell (does again) or Norris does. Ricciardo maybe, as well.
Surely Verstappen stays at RBR for 2022 to see how the teams stack up under the new regs.

PlatinumZealot

RedBull will move mountains to keep Max.

It used to be said that Max will stay as long as RB give him a car he can fight for the championship with. This 2021 season has turned that notion on its head. Team Verstappen now realizes a challenger is not enough to dispell frustrations. Such a car is still too dependent on variables outside of the driver's control. Only a dominant car will truly keep Max interested post 2021. If RB cannot. He will be off to whichever team has the fastest car in 2022.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 May 2021, 19:58
RedBull will move mountains to keep Max.

It used to be said that Max will stay as long as RB give him a car he can fight for the championship with. This 2021 season has turned that notion on its head. Team Verstappen now realizes a challenger is not enough to dispell frustrations. Such a car is still too dependent on variables outside of the driver's control. Only a dominant car will truly keep Max interested post 2021. If RB cannot. He will be off to whichever team has the fastest car in 2022.
No one is going to know who has the fastest car until they get to the first test of 2022 though, and by then it's too late to do the seat shuffle for that season. That's why I think he stays there until at least the end of the 22 season. He has to really. If he left Red Bull after years and years at the same time they produce the best car on the grid, it would surely be one of the stupidest mistakes in the recent history of the sport.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 May 2021, 15:56
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2021, 15:47

There was a thread for this topic, argued to death, so pretty much the topic is boring for like 98% of the users here. Sir Lewis Hamilton is a great obviously, but if he is the greatest of all time will always depend on who you ask. It's like politics, you pretty much wont' convince anyone to change their views.
That's the first sensible thing you've written in days PZ! :wink: :lol:
Yup doing my best to ward off the website meltdown coming in December.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏