2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

The Red Bull Drivers having a weekend with the Flying Bulls.
First they went to Salzburg. Hangar-7.

The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

nzjrs wrote:
09 May 2021, 01:52
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 May 2021, 00:58
nzjrs wrote:We should cut him some slack for English as a second language too.
Yes... But the fact that he apologized for what he said indicates that there weren’t any translation issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. Thats standard PR. Everyone apologizes always forever unconditionally. It's how it is these days.
Yup, his apology is more about how it came off, not what he was trying to say. here's a good article of RedBulls Simon Rennie explaining how different drivers use different ways to describe what they are trying to say.

Former Red Bull race engineer: "Takes time to understand what they're saying"

""Two drivers might be feeling the same thing in the car - but they’ll talk about it in a different way, or use completely different language. It takes time to understand what they’re saying, translate that into engineering terminology we can all understand and work with – because it’s very possible initially they’ll be describing the driving experience using descriptive words only they understand" he explains.

Rennie: "comprehending what they’re really saying is half the battle. The other half is understanding what they need from the balance of the car to make them go as fast as possible."

The fact is theres always translation issues, period. Just need to give it time for driver and engineers to be in tune.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/amp/84318/for ... aying.html

Wouter

Yuki Tsunoda
Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda

Sadly, my second session ended early today – I wasn’t pushing too hard into the corner, but I lost grip at the end of the turn and unfortunately tapped the wall. I’m not sure how much this will affect my preparation for the race, obviously a loss of running isn’t ideal, but I’ve got two sets of Softs for Saturday now so it’s not the worst case. I just need to prepare more for Saturday and put it altogether when it counts.
Toyoharu Tanabe
Honda Racing F1

The first day of practice for the Monaco Grand Prix went smoothly on the PU front. It has been two years since we raced here and we have a new PU this year, therefore part of our work today centred on basic function checks and making changes to the PU settings, as we gathered plenty of useful data. It’s only the first day, but it’s not a bad result to have all four cars in the top ten in FP1 and three of them in FP2. However, as we have seen at every race so far this year, we can expect very tough competition for the rest of the weekend. Unfortunately, Tsunoda hit the guardrail in the afternoon, losing precious track time as the car had to be repaired, which is not ideal, given that he has never raced here before in any category. However, along with ourselves and the team, there is plenty of time for him to study all the data carefully and try and recover on Saturday, when we will tackle what is the most important qualifying session of the year, given the difficulty of overtaking here.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Long article about Yuki Tsunoda to get to know him better. :)

How AlphaTauri is taming the Tsunoda ‘thunderstorm’
By: Erwin Jaeggi May 22, 2021, 10:32 AM

The talent and the speed are undeniable, but the first four races of the 2021 Formula 1 season also showed that Yuki Tsunoda still has a lot to learn.
How AlphaTauri is taming the Tsunoda ‘thunderstorm’

Motorsport.com spoke with race engineer Mattia Spini about how AlphaTauri tries to turn the Japanese ‘fury’ into a driver that can ‘achieve what we all want him to achieve’.

Tsunoda impressed by scoring points on his F1 debut as he finished ninth in Bahrain. A qualifying crash at Imola, conditions that were especially tricky for a rookie in Portugal and a technical issue at Barcelona meant that Formula 1’s first 21st century-born driver hasn’t added to his points tally since.

Nevertheless, many agree that Tsunoda is a bright star of the future, with AlphaTauri team principal Franz Tost even claiming that Tsunoda will be world champion if he continues to develop like he has been doing.

Asked what it’s like to work with a future world champion, AlphaTauri race engineer Mattia Spini responded with a smile: ........... ...............
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... m/6512756/
The Power of Dreams!

McMika98

Another outing in Q1, Yuki is lucky to have this seat. He should be booted out next time he fails to get into Q2.
Last year GP2 drivers turning out to be one of the weakest driver lineup.

Wouter

:lol: =D>

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Back to Baku! We are ready to go back racing, so let’s get into the race week mood with Pierre and Yuki’s thoughts ahead of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Pierre Gasly #10

“We come to the Baku race after what was an excellent weekend for us in Monaco, when I was always in the top ten in all sessions, and then sixth in qualifying, my best of the season which I think was a very strong performance. Then I finished sixth, having Lewis behind me for the entire race. During the race, you don’t really think about who is driving the car behind you, although of course I knew it was him. But I understood there was really no way for him to get by and it would all come down to the pit stop. I just had to focus, concentrate on my driving and the team also played its part with the strategy in keeping him behind. So I am satisfied, as it was important for the team to find our true performance level again and to have a clean weekend, which is complicated in Monaco as it’s a tricky circuit. But we managed it and that delivered our best result of the year so far. It was also really cool to race with fans again at the track, especially as there were many French people there as it was Monaco, so I felt more support than usual. It was a real pleasure to interact a bit with fans, even if was not yet a full-size crowd.

Since then I have spent some time in the simulator in the UK and then I headed off to Baku via Dubai. It’s a lot of travelling but it’s all in a good cause because we are heading for a very busy part of the season. I’d say Baku is a really unusual track and it has something in common with Monaco, being a street circuit in the centre of a town, so it’s not a normal sort of track. That means you have to set up the car a bit differently. You run with much lower downforce than in Monaco, and the corners are much slower in Baku, but it is similar in terms of grip and in some other characteristics, and we will be using the C5 softest tyres again. The lack of surface grip and the low downforce means it is not a straightforward challenge and it is difficult to find the best set up for the car with the long straight that means the tyres and brakes lose temperature a lot and there are other factors to take into account to get everything out of the car over one lap and also in the race.

I quite like the circuit, I finished second in GP2 a few years ago but in F1, although I was quite competitive, I have always had some bad luck, but I plan to change that this week. I hope we will be able to perform at a similar or even better level than in Monaco.”

Yuki Tsunoda #22

“Baku will be another new experience for me and I should benefit from some lessons learned in Monaco, another street circuit. My plan building up to the race in Monaco was to maximise the number of laps I did in practice, but unfortunately in FP2 I hit the wall and for me that was the main downside of the last weekend. Even though I didn’t feel that I had lost confidence because of the crash, in qualifying that last bit of confidence, for example in the fast corners, is very important so I learned an important lesson, especially for street tracks, not to go into the wall!

I really enjoyed my first time in Monaco, it was a fantastic experience and really fun up until that moment in FP2. In general, after five races now, I am feeling more familiar with the race weekend, there are less surprises and I feel more in control and I’ve got used to some of the things that surprised me earlier in the year like all the media work at races on a Thursday. It was using up a lot of my energy but now I am more comfortable with everything which is a positive thing.

The technical aspect is still quite challenging, especially as in the current situation I have been struggling a bit with the car set-up. I believe that is normal as I have only done five races, but the important thing is that I am learning a lot about the car. My mind set is fine, I’m in good shape and things are going in the right direction. There is still some pressure, but I am enjoying every minute of being a Formula 1 driver and there is always something new to deal with at every new track. In Monaco there was even the new experience of seeing fans and hearing them calling the names of the drivers, which felt really crazy.

This week is Baku, I have never raced there before but I have driven it on the simulator of course. Most of the corners seem to be 90 degree turns and almost all the corners are taken in similar speed range so it will be interesting. It’s another street circuit, but it looks as though it might be a little bit easier to adapt to than Monaco. Hopefully I will be in a better situation there. Again, I will try and do as many laps as possible and my main aim will be to make sure I don’t get too close to the walls in practice and Qualifying. I will take the Monaco experience and everything I learned there and apply it in Azerbaijan.

I am pleased with the definite progress made by the team with the car since the beginning of the season. It’s true the results have not come together yet and I am on a steep learning curve. I spend as much time as possible talking with my engineers to learn more and I hope that will help me continue to make progress through the season.”
Yuki Tsunoda will move to Italy shortly, with Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko confirming the Japanese rookie is to be taken under the wing of his team boss Franz Tost.
Tsunoda currently lives in the UK, and Marko has decided that a more hands-on approach is needed to try getting the best out of the promising junior driver.
His self-confidence took a hit after the multiple incidents, and that's why we decided to bring him to Italy from England."
"It's not only so we can control him better, but also to instil in him a stronger sense of security. His potential is still there."

Yuki moved to Europe at a very young age without family and friends.
Fortunately, Franz Tost now takes him under his wing and can also be a second father to him.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Great drive from both AT drivers but especially from Gasly. He defend his place very well.He showed his talent.

Marti_EF3

Yuki is still a rookie, but he gained a lot of confidence with this race. Alonso is an experienced driver and payed off at the 2nd start

hkbruin

Alonso was on fresh new softs as well. If Yuki had protected the inside line against Norris at Turn 2 then I think he would have been able to retain his 5th place spot. I can understand Yuki’s frustration at the end and he was being pretty tentative while Norris drove a steady line and Alonso drove like he had nothing to lose. Hopefully this result will get him back on track, and it’s a good turnaround in form from his previous outings. Kudos to Franz!

godlameroso

I feel bad for Tsunoda, he's really frustrated at himself, that he can't do things that other drivers can do. That he doesn't understand how they can just turn that focus on so quickly. He knows he has the speed and pace but he can't turn it on like Alonso can.

Alonso is pushing 40 and he's fully motivated, you just can't comprehend what Alonso does with the fire in his belly.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Tost hails "super talent" Tsunoda after 'most complete' F1 weekend.

AlphaTauri Formula 1 team principal Franz Tost has heaped praise on Yuki Tsunoda after impressing during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix weekend.

Tsunoda secured his best qualifying result to date in Baku with seventh, ultimately moving up one spot thanks to Lando Norris’ grid penalty.

The Japanese rookie finished the race in seventh to mark his best result of the season, even though he lost out to Norris and Fernando Alonso in the closing two laps.

“Yuki did a fantastic job I must say,” Tost said. “Okay he had the small incident [in qualifying] but it was in qualifying three and it can happen – it happened to more experienced drivers. And then his race pace sometimes was unbelievable. I was really worried that something was going to happen because he was really fast.

“He’s on a very good way and I think that he will come up with some good results in the second half of the season where he gets a little bit more experience, especially on racetracks that he knows.

“We must not forget that it was his first time in Baku. Of course in Bahrain, he scored two points when he finished ninth but he knew the track quite well from Formula 2, we tested there and we could find a good setup. But we came here to Baku and he didn’t know the track and he immediately got quite familiar with it and started from seventh place and finished seventh.

“For me it was a really fantastic job from his side, a fantastic performance. We have to work on some things – we know this – but I am confident that we will get everything together because he is a super talent.”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!