2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
rscsr

Re: 2021 FIM MotoGP WC

J.A.W. wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 23:18
Cuky wrote:
31 May 2021, 10:42
Well the part od the rule that considers last lap off track excursion probably needs rethinking. Though it still in my opinion should be black and white, either you're out or you're in. What they should maybe do is compare riders last say 5 laps on that part. of the track. If he wasn't more than xy% faster than before then no penalty
Yeah, its overkill, just as the pit-road ride-through penalty was, but likely it stems
from V.R.'s last lap corner-cutting off-track 'cheat' during the 2015 Dutch Moto GP
at Assen, where he did gain a winning advantage over M.M...

How is that comparable? MM tried a divebomb. He was braking so late that he also wasn't able to make the corner.

etusch

rscsr wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 08:30
J.A.W. wrote:
Cuky wrote:
Well the part od the rule that considers last lap off track excursion probably needs rethinking. Though it still in my opinion should be black and white, either you're out or you're in. What they should maybe do is compare riders last say 5 laps on that part. of the track. If he wasn't more than xy% faster than before then no penalty
Yeah, its overkill, just as the pit-road ride-through penalty was, but likely it stems
from V.R.'s last lap corner-cutting off-track 'cheat' during the 2015 Dutch Moto GP

How is that comparable? MM tried a divebomb. He was braking so late that he also wasn't able to make the corner.
With this year's honda both would be crashed. :lol:

J.A.W.

rscsr wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 08:30
J.A.W. wrote:
Cuky wrote:

Have another look, M.M. barely hit the track margin, & made the final corner, whereas
V.R. cut it completely, returning to the track much later, having straight-lined all the way
to an unbeatable advantage, for a typically cunning victory...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Cuky

After for non finishes in a row Alex Rins now won't even start his home grand prix in Barcelona this weekend. He has been ruled out of contention due to injury sustained in a cycling accident.

There is no word on possible substitute, but if there is any I would guess it will be Sylvain Guintoli since he is contracted to Suzuki as a test rider and usually gets few wildcard entries in the season.
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/ ... rix/376648

On the other side of the pit lane, Pramac Team has confirmed that both Johann Zarco and Jorge Martin will remain with the team for the 2022 season
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/ ... 022/376604

And Monster Energy Yamaha team is seeing some immediate changes in the team. The team has mutually agreed to terminate the contract with Esteban Garcia, Vinales' crew chief. He will be replaced to at least the end of the season by former VR's crew chief Silvano Galbusera
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/ ... ent/376624

And probably the biggest news for this GP: Fans are going to be allowed at circuit. Available will be 20% of full capacity with 8 designated zones for fans around the track. Each of those 8 zones will have a maximum of 3000 fans.
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/ ... nce/376634

rscsr

Cuky wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 16:20
After for non finishes in a row Alex Rins now won't even start his home grand prix in Barcelona this weekend. He has been ruled out of contention due to injury sustained in a cycling accident.

There is no word on possible substitute, but if there is any I would guess it will be Sylvain Guintoli since he is contracted to Suzuki as a test rider and usually gets few wildcard entries in the season.
At this point I don't think there is a future for Rins at Suzuki. He is certainly trying to force results with Mir being as fast as he is, but also finishing most races.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Cuky

rscsr wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 17:06
Cuky wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 16:20

At this point I don't think there is a future for Rins at Suzuki. He is certainly trying to force results with Mir being as fast as he is, but also finishing most races.
I agree, it is so obvious that he is trying to force results rather than actually start getting anything other than DNF. Even in Mugello commentators at BT Sport were saying how Suzuki just asked him to actually finish the race and bring home some points and he still pushed for more and crashed. Same in Portugal, he was so set on chasing Quartararo who was obviously faster that he threw away his safe 2nd place finish.

etusch

Today MM showed a real (small ) sign of real MM return until his crash. This front end of Honda need to be solved soon.
I wonder if he can get pole or perform as good as geting podium at next race

etusch

Honda’s Marc Marquez says the seven laps he rode in Sunday’s MotoGP Catalan Grand Prix before crashing were “the best seven laps of the year” as “I was Marc” again.
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... s/6541619/

NathanOlder

etusch wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 16:10
Honda’s Marc Marquez says the seven laps he rode in Sunday’s MotoGP Catalan Grand Prix before crashing were “the best seven laps of the year” as “I was Marc” again.
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... s/6541619/
but unfortunately for Marc, the Honda is a bag of ****
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Andres125sx

Any reason there were so many crashes?

Marquez looked quite good until he lost the front. One thing is sure, he's not scared of crashing again, three in a row just after his return #-o

Happy for Oliveira and specially KTM. Weird times with Honda 11th and the Austrians winning, but I love so many manufacturers fighting for victories =D>

Andres125sx

Btw, did Fabio explained the reason of his problem at the end?

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 11:14
Any reason there were so many crashes?

Marquez looked quite good until he lost the front. One thing is sure, he's not scared of crashing again, three in a row just after his return #-o

Happy for Oliveira and specially KTM. Weird times with Honda 11th and the Austrians winning, but I love so many manufacturers fighting for victories =D>
At news I shared he says he brake hard to stay ahead of Vinales. He talks about acceleration issues and tries to recover them at braking. I think every honda rider does same. With lack of confidence at front end which honda bike has for last years, they crashes too much.

NathanOlder

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 11:18
Didn't he say he was trying to adjust the rib protector under his leathers and by trying to move them up or down he managed to accidently open his leathers.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Cuky

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 11:18
If I remember correctly he said that his chest protector, which aren't actually fastened in any way (at least with Alpinestars gear that he uses), started to move up and because of that he had it harder and harder to breathe. To release the tension and to try and shift it back down he just started to unzip, thinking that after he pushes it back down he'll zip the suit back up, but suit got caught in a wind and it unzipped all the way on itself and his chest protector fell out.

I can see why he didn't retire from the race, as he himself said he was thinking of the championship and trying to get as much points as possible from bad situation. But I can also understand why there were calls for black flagging him - riding at 340+ km/h and falling with leathers open there is almost no protection. He already lost his chest protector, airbag won't protect him if leathers are open and if he fell it would be a disaster. The thing is, no one knew what the correct procedure was in that situation and hopefully now that it happened it will be written in the rules so that there is no confusion if something like that happens in the future.

On a side note, that is also one of the reasons I never use chest protectors while riding on the street even though I never put the leg over my bike without a back protector. They're just cumbersome.

On the news side of things, rules were updated for Moto3 class.
Sporting regulations change:
- effective immediately - to avoid situations where combined Free Practice results are changed near the start of Q1 session and thus someone who previously was directly in Q2 now has too little time to properly prepare for Q1 those results will be finalized 60 minutes after the end of FP3. Any appeals after that time won't be looked at. Results of Q1 will be finalized 5 minutes after its end and as for combined practice results any appeal after that won't be looked at.

Technical regulations:
- Current bikes are to be frozen in design until the end of 2023 season to reduce costs.
- Maximum price for rolling chassis to remain at 85.000€
- As part of the engine package, each manufacturer will only be required to supply three gearboxes sets per two-rider team.
- Each team will be permitted to rent a maximum of two additional sets of gearboxes at the capped price of €2.500 each.
- A Maximum of six engines per rider, for the season will be permitted. However, a manufacturer can choose to allocate five engines per rider, for the season.
- Manufacturers can continue to charge the Championship €60,000 per entry for engine supply whether the allocation is five or six engines per rider.
- Because engines are rebuilt during the season and re-allocated to the teams, the manufacturers need to avoid unnecessary additional rebuild costs due to misuse of the engine. Therefore, A protocol will be agreed with the manufacturers that will define what is believed is an acceptable use of the engine by the teams and riders. Meaning, teams can be charged for proven engine damaged caused by the rider or team exceeding these parameters.

From 2024:

It has been agreed that all parties will make every effort will to introduce a new and more sustainable fuel.

From 2024, bike specifications will be declared for a minimum two-year rolling period (with a review during mid-season of the first year to evaluate the possibility to increase to three years). This means that at the start of the 2024 season, each manufacturer will declare their bike specification at the first event of the season, with this specification being frozen until at least the end of the 2025 season.

To avoid the possible issue of a manufacturer having a design problem that is impacting on the performance of their bike and not being able to fix it for three years. Each manufacturer will be permitted to upgrade one of the following areas in the first year only:

- Main fairing
- Front fender
- Swingarm
- Frame
- Engine

The upgraded part must be supplied free of charge to all riders and be available to all at the same time.

A regularly updated version of the FIM Grand Prix Regulations which contains the detailed text of the regulation changes may be viewed shortly on: http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/regula ... rand-prix/