2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 23:16
From the chaos of all the sessions it does look like McLaren went out of their way to not show pace, posting just “push sectors”. Correct me if I’m wrong. Is there some sort of gamesmanship going on with this? Then come qualifying both drivers failed to post truly representative pace for a full lap and left themselves vulnerable by being weak on their first runs. Leclerc nailed an excellent banker lap and took that weight off himself to nail a better final run. Dan demonstrated how pressure building is a recipe for disaster.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 23:15
I agree, Ferrari seems to have a well-rounded car, but I still think McLaren can fight for P3. But Ricciardo is desperately needed to step up at this point.

Last year, RP was the faster car (often by a bigger margin than Ferrari is right now), but McLaren still beat them with pure consistency. The problem this year is that only Lando is consistent. Daniel is all over the place in terms of pace, but even when he has a good day (Spain), he still isn't showing any "spectacular" pace like Lando has often done this year.

In terms of statistics, if you define Daniel's pace as a random variable, it is both kind of low in terms of mean, and it also has a big standard deviation. Just not good, no matter how you look at it.

If you told me last year Daniel was going to struggle this much, I honestly would have had a hard time believing you. It's just bizarre to me. This can't be the extent of Daniel's capabilities, it just can't. We are talking about the only driver who has taken the fight to Max in the RedBull. The driver who outperformed both of his teammates at Renault. The driver who made a a 4-time world champion look bad at only his first season with a competitive team.

I just refuse to believe this is all that Daniel has got. The driver who accomplished all of the aforementioned feats cannot be >0.5s off the pace from Lando. It would be understandable if Lando was some sort of a god, generational talent. But the thing is we have a reference in him with Carlos. And we also have a reference between Carlos and Charles. So, yeah, we can conclusively say that Lando is more than a decent driver. It's just that Daniel has previously shown that he is at least that himself.

Just puzzling and disappointing at the moment. I really, really hope he picks up the pace soon. A couple more weekends like this, and it will be extremely difficult to keep the fight to Ferrari when they have two drivers delivering their top game every race.
Yeah I pretty much run with everything you say there.

It is indeed a reversal this year in that we won out on the driver lineup last year, and this year that flaw is now with us. We need both drivers firing to fight Ferrari and even then it is tough, so if Daniel doesn't come through, we are P4, simple as that.

Your logic that Daniels performance is the outlier is probably true, I guess another way to look at it, the car is as good as its fastest driver, in which case it is reasonably close to the Ferrari, but behind.

With limited development to come, it is a hard slog to the end of the season.

BUT, we have made amazing progress year on year still, and Ferrari's season last year itself was an outlier than cannot be taken for granted. Their comeback is superb (But I'm waiting for a certain someone to put their tin hat on again as soon as they have finished banging on about flexi wings), and they have shown their class this year and have one of the strongest driver lineups in F1 right now.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

McG

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 18:13
I have another question. How much of an advantage does Flexi Wings give to Red Bull,Ferrari and Alpine compared to Mercedes,Mclaren and Alpha Tauri?
A big advantage. Not just on the straights but all around the lap. They will set the car up to maximize the whole lap, not to just get more speed on the straight.
F1 is dead.

sp8472
sp8472

Mansell89 wrote::lol: I’ve never seen so many emotionally imbalanced and unreasonable responses after one chaotic qualifying lol

For all the hype of us on low drag, we haven’t actually looked like getting pole here whatsoever and our lack of mechanical grip versus teams like Ferrari is being exposed more than anyone was prepared to admit earlier in the year.

Monza is more our track this year.

The crybabying about Ricciardo and “our fight for 3rd” being in tatters is ridiculous- it’s a long season and we will be in the mix and so will Ricciardo based on all evidence we know about him.

Who even cares if we get third or not- it would be nice but I tell you what would be nicer? Getting next year right and setting ourselves up for 5 years of competitiveness.

Looking forward to tomorrow because there will be chances!
The most sensible comment I think I have ever seen on a forum! You are spot on @Mansell89. Both Norris and Ricciardo are long term investments. I have faith they both will pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMMR61

That’s fair. And McLaren need to take stock of their weaknesses - getting the tyres in the window more consistently (difficult I know) and being realistic about track position in qualifying esp Q1 where you only have 3 remaining drivers to eliminate. Didn’t see much evidence of teamwork in this area. Ok pitstops have improved 100% this year and the car is generally much closer to the front. It is however appearing to be a bit of a RedBull type “diva” car which doesn’t play into Daniel’s hands.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Mansell89 wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 15:45
:lol: I’ve never seen so many emotionally imbalanced and unreasonable responses after one chaotic qualifying lol

For all the hype of us on low drag, we haven’t actually looked like getting pole here whatsoever and our lack of mechanical grip versus teams like Ferrari is being exposed more than anyone was prepared to admit earlier in the year.

Monza is more our track this year.

The crybabying about Ricciardo and “our fight for 3rd” being in tatters is ridiculous- it’s a long season and we will be in the mix and so will Ricciardo based on all evidence we know about him.

Who even cares if we get third or not- it would be nice but I tell you what would be nicer? Getting next year right and setting ourselves up for 5 years of competitiveness.

Looking forward to tomorrow because there will be chances!
Totally agree mate. One can argue 4th in constructors is desired anyway! No one is going to remember coming in 3rd or 4th. Next year is going to count for years to come. Let’s get that sorted. Learn all the lessons that need learning (mechanical grip, Mercedes pu) and implement them for ‘22. Any good results in ‘21 are just icing on the cake

Darth-Piekus

McG wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 23:58
Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 18:13
I have another question. How much of an advantage does Flexi Wings give to Red Bull,Ferrari and Alpine compared to Mercedes,Mclaren and Alpha Tauri?
A big advantage. Not just on the straights but all around the lap. They will set the car up to maximize the whole lap, not to just get more speed on the straight.
Is it the Flexi Wing that gives the advantage to Ferrari and Red Bull at the moment because as I remember in the first 4 races Ferrari were nowhere near Mclaren and suddenly in Barcelona where the Wing was introduced they are way faster than us.

Emag
Emag

I wouldn't say its down to flexi wings. I think Ferrari probably had more potential in their car, and over the race weekends we have had so far, they have learned how to get more out of it. More than McLaren has been able to.

After all, we have to remember, McLaren was nowhere near Ferrari's level back in 2019. If Ferrari hadn't suffered a setback due to cheating, you wouldn't realistically expect McLaren to finish ahead of them last year. So maybe we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here. McLaren is on its way to the top, and they have been slowly getting closer and closer to the top ever since 2019. Ferrari on the other hand, has already been at the top. They understand what its like to have a car capable of race wins, whereas McLaren doesn't have such an experience because the last McLaren car that won a race was made almost 10 years ago, which is an absolute eternity in this sport.

Objectively speaking, 3rd or 4th this year doesn't matter much. McLaren should focus on next year, so that they maintain this upwards trajectory and get closer to the top. However, I must admit, getting 3rd from Ferrari would be satisfying for pride reasons.

Big Tea

I think Ferrari's advantage is suspension related. It rides the curbs well and does not seen to get 'upset' in places other cars do.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

F1NAC

elldizzle
elldizzle

Is anyone remembering FP long runs where the ferrari and others absolutely destroyed their tyres. I think there is more to come from this race, we'll see. There will be opportunities.

Mansell89
Mansell89

RIP Mansour

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 22:11
Interesting and unexpected... McLaren was the slowest on the Speed Trap... Maybe more downforce for better race pace / tire deg?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... eeb2ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juki Cunoda? Is that a new Finnish/Estonian driver...

Mansell89
Mansell89

I’m quite pleased Ricciardo has a brand new set of softs up his sleeve for any safety car in the final quarter of the race. He will need some good fortune but it’s nice to have up your sleeve if he goes long on first stint.

bauc

There are a lot of opportunities for both NOR and RIC in this race, all they need to do is to avoid any contact in the opening lap and from lap 2 to attack attack attack,... I think P5 & P6 are in reach for us today.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg