2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 00:08
Steven wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 21:17
GoranF1 wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 20:44
Renault engines weakest put there now.
5hp behind Ferrari, 20hp behind Honda and 30hp behind Mercedes.

Working on new concept(split turbo) for next year. Should have been in already this year but there were problems on dyno.
Source?
They were well into the top 20% in top speed in quali their race stop speed was the same yet everyone else's top speed went up. They went from 3ird best top speed in quali to 14th in the race.
Yeah strange indeed is it possible they may have turned down the engine after Ocon problem?

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 00:32
diffuser wrote:
Steven wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 21:17

Source?
They were well into the top 20% in top speed in quali their race stop speed was the same yet everyone else's top speed went up. They went from 3ird best top speed in quali to 14th in the race.
Yeah strange indeed is it possible they may have turned down the engine after Ocon problem?
It wouldn't explain why they were the same between quali and the race, while many others got faster.

Maybe 2 things, the PU turn down by Alpine and a switch to a tail wind from a head wind in quali?

The pace on Hards was awful.

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 01:46
RedNEO wrote:
diffuser wrote:

It wouldn't explain why they were the same between quali and the race, while many others got faster.

Maybe 2 things, the PU turn down by Alpine and a switch to a tail wind from a head wind in quali?

Good points! The only other explanation is they didn’t use a new engine I think? Either way they were surprised so that just means they thought they would be faster so some homework to do for next week. Maybe Monaco and Baku are just the outliers and they will come back strong from now on I hope 🤞

radosav

anyone has video of alonso restart after safety car in lap 35, he went from position 14 to 11 in one lap

radosav

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 02:06
diffuser wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Good points! The only other explanation is they didn’t use a new engine I think? Either way they were surprised so that just means they thought they would be faster so some homework to do for next week. Maybe Monaco and Baku are just the outliers and they will come back strong from now on I hope 🤞
Think we're just grasping for straws. Saw Alonso's post race interview on YouTube. He just said he was surprised after having good pace in FP2. Maybe the increasing of min rear tire air pressure by 1 lb by Pirelli, from 19 to 20, hurt Alpine?

factory_p

diffuser wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 04:57

Think we're just grasping for straws. Saw Alonso's post race interview on YouTube. He just said he was surprised after having good pace in FP2. Maybe the increasing of min rear tire air pressure by 1 lb by Pirelli, from 19 to 20, hurt Alpine?
I would think this is the most likely option. This track is rear limited, so for teams who were on the limit already at 19psi, the switch to 20 might have been enough to put them in trouble.

diffuser

Ocon's DNF was due to a loss of boost pressure. Turbo died I presume. Still 19 or 20 races on the Calendar, the PU have to last 6 or 7 races. Baku was race six.

GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
diffuser wrote:

High centar of gravity is making car's balance sweet point super hard to achive.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

radosav

So racecraft is still there, Alonso overtaking three cars after safety car restart in lap 35/36.

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 16:59
diffuser wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

High centar of gravity is making car's balance sweet point super hard to achive.
Higher centre of gravity? You mean high rake?

Rake is the opposite to what you're thinking. The higher the rake the lower the center of gravit.

At 0 KPH, yes you have a Higher CoG but at 100KPH the COG is probably equal. As they start accelerating from there, the CoG starts to go negative compared to less rake. This is because the Xtra wing you're carrying is creating more and more DF. Till they got the speed where the car starts to squat.

They've been doing high rake for so long now. It's probably down to an simple calculation.

Andres125sx

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 20:14
Too much drag, new package added more downforce than anticipated at the rear.
Source?

That would be a sweet problem, wouldn´t be?

Steven
Owner

The thing about top speeds is certainly interesting, and I didn't know about it yet. Perhaps this is also due to Alonso not being close to anyone in most of the race. He was typically too slow and lost ground to the cars ahead while getting overtaken by the likes of Ricciardo and Sainz.
Also at the restarts, you could see that Alonso made the most of the first lap in the restart, and then was settled and could only really focus on the cars behind him, as he has basically punched above his weight on the restarts.

I think the comment about Goran above about high CofG comes from the high radiators in the bulky airbox.

radosav

Steven wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 12:47
The thing about top speeds is certainly interesting, and I didn't know about it yet. Perhaps this is also due to Alonso not being close to anyone in most of the race. He was typically too slow and lost ground to the cars ahead while getting overtaken by the likes of Ricciardo and Sainz.
Also at the restarts, you could see that Alonso made the most of the first lap in the restart, and then was settled and could only really focus on the cars behind him, as he has basically punched above his weight on the restarts.

I think the comment about Goran above about high CofG comes from the high radiators in the bulky airbox.
he was never in DRS zone, he would lose ground as soon as someone overtook him

Mclarensenna

radosav wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 22:13
So racecraft is still there, Alonso overtaking three cars after safety car restart in lap 35/36.
https://mobile.twitter.com/alo_theking/ ... 0776700928
Alonso driving the wheels off that car. Incredible racecraft and confidence.