2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Hats off to the engineers at Ferrari, and Binotto’s of course, is an engineer. The progress is astounding and an unlikely sounding P3 in WCC is now well on, taking nothing for granted. My only concern would be the multiple hats he wears and his typical engineer’s approach to drivers that lacks the human touch. Never mind, Carlos has brought much to the driver relationship and probably overall direction. The clumsy tactics of the last two seasons seem to be much better. Suddenly McLaren look under pressure with a terrible day yesterday with a decent enough car.

JPower

Interested to see how well these guys can take care of the tires. I have a feeling both will be down a position by the end of the first stint on race pace alone.

JPBD1990

I love that people are now praising Binotto when if you scroll back just a few pages people were calling for his head. LEARN FROM THIS! Every couch critic thinks they know what’s best, but maybe they don’t?

Binotto has been around since the schumacher/Brawn/Todt days. He knows exactly what to do and how to do it. He just needs time. 1-2 seasons before the internet insists he be jailed for crimes against Ferrari IS. NOT. ENOUGH.

Of course he is just one person, but he has empowered a team, and added new members, and again - current trajectory demonstrates that it’s working. I don’t expect to stay P1 tomorrow, and if/when our drivers slip back through the field due to high tyre wear, remember this feeling today. We saw on Friday that this may be a problem - but the game isn’t about Baku, or the next race, or the next race. It’s about understanding and improving, and I am hopeful - and growing in confidence, that they will be well prepared for 2022.

Oh, and FORZA FERRARI!

JPower

Well, that was a crazy race.

I didn't think Leclerc had the pace to hold off RB and Mercedes and that was proved within the first few laps. Overall, he ran about as good a race as possible although its too bad he couldn't hold off Gasly after the restart. At least he was able to keep Norris in check despite the McLaren's straightline advantage.

Carlos had a mixed race. That mistake going into turn 8 was costly. He probably lost two places at the end because of it. But, he made a great recovery drive from a low of P14 and managed to pass Ricciardo and hold him after the restart.

Overall, the strategy and pit stops were on point, the cars came home in one piece with points, and Ferrari now has a slight advantage over McLaren for 3rd place at a track they though they were going to lose big at.

Carl Mccoy

Ferrari have a such poor tyre management.

Manfer

Carl Mccoy wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:49
I believe they are being forced to run non-optimal aero levels for tracks like this.They were pretty slow on the straights even with that skinny wing. Comparatively Other teams ran slightly bigger wings and were just as fast as Ferrari.

JPower

Manfer wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 18:17
Carl Mccoy wrote:
I believe they are being forced to run non-optimal aero levels for tracks like this.They were pretty slow on the straights even with that skinny wing. Comparatively Other teams ran slightly bigger wings and were just as fast as Ferrari.
Correct. They had to make a sacrifice for straightline speed. Unfortunately they might have to do the same at Spa and Monza just like last year. Everywhere else they should be running a normal aero package.

wowgr8

Carl Mccoy wrote:
Tyre management was great in Spain. The straights just punished them here twofold, lack of pace and also making them take downforce off that punished the tyres. Still a good result at a track that should've suited McLaren, like Mekies said, this run of races post Monaco are all about damage limitation for Ferrari, they did more than that here, AlphaTauri did great hats off to them

LM10

JPBD1990 wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 02:33
I love that people are now praising Binotto when if you scroll back just a few pages people were calling for his head. LEARN FROM THIS! Every couch critic thinks they know what’s best, but maybe they don’t?
Those who are praising Binotto now are not the same who were calling for his head - if you mean this thread at least and I think you do. Other than that, I agree with you.

Binotto has always been doing a nice job overall. Maybe the situation around Vettel could have been handled a bit better, but then again we don't know anything internal and can't judge. That aside I can't think of anything significant you could wish more from a good TP. I'm really happy with how the team has been and is being managed by him.

Sevach

Carl Mccoy wrote:
Charles wanted to go to battle with Max and Lewis, i don't blame his ambition but he ran too close too fast in the beggining of the race.

I also don't know if the early stop was wise, yes, Lewis, Max and Perez had overtaken and were going away.
Still the team should've looked at how much he was winning/losing to the rest of the pack rather than these 3, i currently don't have this info, but i think the team might've overreacted, the win was never on the cards.

codetower

Sevach wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 07:24
Carl Mccoy wrote:
Charles wanted to go to battle with Max and Lewis, i don't blame his ambition but he ran too close too fast in the beggining of the race.

I also don't know if the early stop was wise, yes, Lewis, Max and Perez had overtaken and were going away.
Still the team should've looked at how much he was winning/losing to the rest of the pack rather than these 3, i currently don't have this info, but i think the team might've overreacted, the win was never on the cards.
I don't think it was necessarily him running too close to Max and Lewis, the Ferrari just doesn't have the power to keep up with them. I do agree though that the pit might have come too early. They gambled on going with fresher for a while and probably hoping for a SC later on to close out the race. The gamble didn't pay off.

As far as tire management, Ferrari set up the car with a lower downforce for this race, specifically to keep up with the Mercs and Hondas on the straights. This ate up the tires much quicker than the others. As painful as it still is to not be competing with the top 2 teams, it IS nice to see that we are improving... going in the right direction.

tpe
tpe

Sevach wrote:
Carl Mccoy wrote:

Of course not!
Team was actually LATE. That's how PG passed him!

Hammerfist

codetower wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 15:23
Sevach wrote:
Carl Mccoy wrote:

I don't think it was necessarily him running too close to Max and Lewis, the Ferrari just doesn't have the power to keep up with them. I do agree though that the pit might have come too early. They gambled on going with fresher for a while and probably hoping for a SC later on to close out the race. The gamble didn't pay off.

As far as tire management, Ferrari set up the car with a lower downforce for this race, specifically to keep up with the Mercs and Hondas on the straights. This ate up the tires much quicker than the others. As painful as it still is to not be competing with the top 2 teams, it IS nice to see that we are improving... going in the right direction.

They are there or thereabouts with the leaders in one lap pace but the race pace is midfield level. Kind of reminds me of the 2013 Mercedes which was fast over one lap but ate the tires on race day and couldn’t compete with the Lotuses and Redbull. But we saw what happened when Mercedes solved their race pace problems. 6 consecutive WCC s. Perhaps Ferrari can emulate something close to that...

Marty_Y

Hammerfist wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 19:16
codetower wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 15:23
Sevach wrote:

They are there or thereabouts with the leaders in one lap pace but the race pace is midfield level. Kind of reminds me of the 2013 Mercedes which was fast over one lap but ate the tires on race day and couldn’t compete with the Lotuses and Redbull. But we saw what happened when Mercedes solved their race pace problems. 6 consecutive WCC s. Perhaps Ferrari can emulate something close to that...
Sorry to nitpick but Mercedes won seven consecutive titles,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... _Champions

"
Mercedes holds the record for the most consecutive constructors' titles with seven between the 2014 and the 2020 seasons."

tnajner

Marty_Y wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 19:41

[/quote]

Sorry to nitpick but Mercedes won seven consecutive titles,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... _Champions

"
Mercedes holds the record for the most consecutive constructors' titles with seven between the 2014 and the 2020 seasons."
[/quote]

:roll: :roll: #-o #-o