Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pyrone89

Re: Mercedes W12

Seeing how good the W11 was, there could also be a distinct possibility that they didnt need any tokens. Unlike the RB16 there was not a underlying mechanical issue. They could have simply not needed to spent any tokens on what they wanted to do
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

SiLo

I wonder if the car responds more to the lower downforce package with the softer tyres because it puts more surface energy through them as there is more sliding.

Interesting to see the rear wing Hamilton ran was still quite large, yet their top speed was very impressive.

Felipe Baby!

Pyrone89

SiLo wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 00:01
I wonder if the car responds more to the lower downforce package with the softer tyres because it puts more surface energy through them as there is more sliding.

Interesting to see the rear wing Hamilton ran was still quite large, yet their top speed was very impressive.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 9-58-6.jpg
Engine power has never been Mercedes' problem.

The claims that Honda is near Mercedes PU are also claims I take with a large dump op salt, especially seeing how big their advantage has been in the previous years. I find it very hard to believe that Honda has completely closed that gap. I think it is more likely the gaps seems closed as Mercedes is using higher downforce wings (explaining their low tyre degradation and superb race pace on normal tracks).
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

DarthPlagueisTheVise

Toto on the balance of 2021 and 2022 after two tough races
https://racingnews365.com/wolff-no-pani ... oach-to-21
Technical Noob

ispano6

ALLISON:
"We have spent our tokens, but we won't reveal how we used them just yet. That'll become clear in good time."

lio007

Nice Baku-shot from the W12's floor:

via @NicolasF1i

Stu

lio007 wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 17:32
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3mqI_SXIAc ... me=900x900

via @NicolasF1i
Nice! The v-shaped structure at the rear looks very interesting (or rather the parts immediately adjacent to it at either side). It looks as though they are using the floor as a support structure for the gearbox, rather than relying on just the tub attachment points. Given the length of the engine/bellhousing/gearbox on the Merc it is not surprising to see them doing this, but how common is it across the whole grid? It would give a large increase in installation stiffness for very little weight penalty (and that weight would be exactly where it was needed!).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

godlameroso

Stu wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 08:08
lio007 wrote:

via @NicolasF1i
Nice! The v-shaped structure at the rear looks very interesting (or rather the parts immediately adjacent to it at either side). It looks as though they are using the floor as a support structure for the gearbox, rather than relying on just the tub attachment points. Given the length of the engine/bellhousing/gearbox on the Merc it is not surprising to see them doing this, but how common is it across the whole grid? It would give a large increase in installation stiffness for very little weight penalty (and that weight would be exactly where it was needed!).
Wouldn't this load the outer tips of the diffuser relative to the center, causing a slight bowing at the edges?
Saishū kōnā

Stu

godlameroso wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 23:15
Stu wrote:
lio007 wrote:

via @NicolasF1i
Wouldn't this load the outer tips of the diffuser relative to the center, causing a slight bowing at the edges?
Shhh 🤫!! The floors are load tested, so as long as it passes the test…..

But seriously, it was a genuine question; I wondered if anyone had access to photos of other car floors.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
lio007 wrote:

via @NicolasF1i
Unlikely to use the floor to support the gearbox. They actually hang the floor from the gearbox using wires in tension to support it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 09:22
Stu wrote:
lio007 wrote:

via @NicolasF1i
Unlikely to use the floor to support the gearbox. They actually hang the floor from the gearbox using wires in tension to support it.
Could be, although the v-section appears to be structural?

Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 09:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
Stu wrote:

I think it's just bodywork that lives with the floor. There is this section of bodywork below and the engine cover above. No point taking it off when dropping the floor so it stays on. Much like the bargeboards.

You wouldn't want to connect the rear floor to the gearbox other than by hanging the floor. If it was rigidly connected, the gearbox would be at risk from hard ground contact with the floor (a jump over one of the big kerbs, for example) would load the gearbox in a way it probably wouldn't like.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sosic2121

Stu wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 09:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
Stu wrote:

Floor/diffuser creates low pressure which "sucks"(not really) floor to the ground, floor pulls down the gearbox, and gearbox pushes tires to the ground through wishbones.
If there are structural parts on the floor, it's probably to keep floor from deforming.

DarthPlagueisTheVise

Lewis' diffuser had some flow-vis so could that indicate some kind of an upgrade ?
Technical Noob

DarthPlagueisTheVise

And correct me if I am wrong but I think these are new
Technical Noob