If you've ever wondered why most of the world switched to Metric ...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rscsr

Re: If you've ever wondered why most of the world switched to Metric ...

a little quiz: which weights more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

hollus

But at which altitude!?
Rivals, not enemies.

nzjrs

godlameroso wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 18:44

...numerous words...
I mean that all fine I guess, I was mostly asking about the 'degrees are imperial' 'radians are metric' part.

godlameroso

nzjrs wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 22:55
godlameroso wrote:

...numerous words...
I mean that all fine I guess, I was mostly asking about the 'degrees are imperial' 'radians are metric' part.
How do you get a circle? It's a ratio between the radius and the circumference, that ratio is not a whole number if you use metric numbers. If you use degrees it's easier to have whole numbers via sub-division. Imperial is common parlance for a measurement system that subdivides standard measurements, which we've shown aren't so standard. They're useful if you're estimating proportions, and ratios, if you want to make half a cake you use half the ingredients. Granted you can do this in metric as well, and sometimes its easier to just say 200 grams instead of 400 grams, but how do you eye that?

Or when you're making rice, it's 2 cups water for every cup of rice, it doesn't matter what kind of cup you use, as long as the ratio is maintained.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 00:19
nzjrs wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

...numerous words...
How do you get a circle? It's a ratio between the radius and the circumference, that ratio is not a whole number if you use metric numbers. If you use degrees it's easier to have whole numbers via sub-division. Imperial is common parlance for a measurement system that subdivides standard measurements, which we've shown aren't so standard. They're useful if you're estimating proportions, and ratios, if you want to make half a cake you use half the ingredients. Granted you can do this in metric as well, and sometimes its easier to just say 200 grams instead of 400 grams, but how do you eye that?

Or when you're making rice, it's 2 cups water for every cup of rice, it doesn't matter what kind of cup you use, as long as the ratio is maintained.
The ratio between the radius and the circumference is pi. Last I looked, pi is very much not a whole number.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

hollus wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 22:16
But at which altitude!?
Again, location has a bigger effect. g varies by 0.7% by location around the planet. Being at 30,000ft / 9000m reduces g by 0.29%. And latitude naturally alters g too, with g being less at the equator than at the poles.

hollus

0.7%? That much?! Learnt something today, cool.
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan

hollus wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 06:35
0.7%? That much?! Learnt something today, cool.
Surprised me too. :D

Here's the gravity map created by NASA's GRACE program. Red is gravity above the standard value, blue is below. Standard value being 9.80665m/s^2. Interestingly, almost nowhere on Earth is actually at standard gravity. :lol:

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 01:15
godlameroso wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

The ratio between the radius and the circumference is pi. Last I looked, pi is very much not a whole number.
Yes and pi is a metric measurment, ie based on decimal point and 0. It's easier to understand that ratio as a proportion than as an exact value(all I'm sayin). Besides as we've learned and according to Bathoon theory, there is no normal.

Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 19:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Yes and pi is a metric measurment, ie based on decimal point and 0. It's easier to understand that ratio as a proportion than as an exact value(all I'm sayin).
What are you talking about? Pi has been known about for thousands of years - well before the metric system.

It's also worth pointing out that there is no exact value of pi. :wink:

Anyway, if you want to calculate a circumference from a radius, or vice versa, you need an "exact" value.

If you use a proportion, you're still using a decimal. 1/2 = 0.5, for example, as they're the same thing. That someone is more comfortable with 1/2 doesn't mean they're not using 0.5, and vice versa.

Tomato, tomato.

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 20:59
godlameroso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Yes and pi is a metric measurment, ie based on decimal point and 0. It's easier to understand that ratio as a proportion than as an exact value(all I'm sayin).
What are you talking about? Pi has been known about for thousands of years - well before the metric system.
Pi is 3.14 and so forth if you measure it in decimal. That is, the ratio between an imaginary line, and an imaginary circle is 3.14....... How else can you think of that ratio in a more simplified way than 1:3.14......= ratio of a perfect imaginary line and a perfect imaginary circle. These imaginary objects don't even exist in nature, only in our minds as abstractions. So yes it makes sense that we would know about these things for thousands of years, humans have common abstractions because we have common brains and ways to perceive, although all perceptions function in unique ways.

The important part is the relationship of the line to the circle, which leads us again to more circular logic while talking about circles. Maybe there are no circles and it's really just spirals.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

It's also worth pointing out that there is no exact value of pi. :wink:

Anyway, if you want to calculate a circumference from a radius, or vice versa, you need an "exact" value.

If you use a proportion, you're still using a decimal. 1/2 = 0.5, for example, as they're the same thing. That someone is more comfortable with 1/2 doesn't mean they're not using 0.5, and vice versa.

Tomato, tomato.
What happens when you get to 1/3 or 1/7th :D Or what if you measure with a wheel instead of a straight edge, you still have to measure along an imaginary line on a curved earth.

They should have taught us how to measure with spirographs, totally missed the mark on that toy.

Re-brand it as a race car driver aid, apex hunter :lol:
Saishū kōnā

nzjrs

Nothing personal, mostly because I love this clip, but my goodness this thread has turned a corner.

Just_a_fan

nzjrs wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 22:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Nothing personal, mostly because I love this clip, but my goodness this thread has turned a corner.
Yeah, there's some serious chemical use going on in some quarters it seems... :lol:

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 21:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Pi is 3.14 and so forth if you measure it in decimal. That is, the ratio between an imaginary line, and an imaginary circle is 3.14....... How else can you think of that ratio in a more simplified way than 1:3.14......= ratio of a perfect imaginary line and a perfect imaginary circle. These imaginary objects don't even exist in nature, only in our minds as abstractions. So yes it makes sense that we would know about these things for thousands of years, humans have common abstractions because we have common brains and ways to perceive, although all perceptions function in unique ways.

The important part is the relationship of the line to the circle, which leads us again to more circular logic while talking about circles. Maybe there are no circles and it's really just spirals.
Er, yeah.

I'm out of here. I thought this was a serious discussion but you're just rambling about nonsense.