Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

It's clear as day Bottas' time is over @ Mercedes.

He was already greatly underperforming, and always playing the excuses game and victim role. Raising your middle finger (literally) and saying 'f%ck' you isn't really going to go down well with fans to start with NOR is it something that fits Mercedes' clean brand image, especially from somebody that has achieved right about nothing to remotely boast about.

Now that he has to prove himself once and for all, he's nowhere and gets worse every session. Baku was particularly embarassing.

And Baku also showed just how important it is to have a full balls to the wall driver in the second seat. Just look at Perez. He might not be Ham or Ver material per sé,
but he was there all the time and when one of them falls away, he was there to still win the race and extend the WCC lead.
Hamilton made a stupid mistake that cost him dearly, but where was Bottas? nowhere, absolutely nowhere, he should have been in the top 6 no matter what.

Mercedes CANNOT afford a nr2 driver that fails them. Their material domination lead is now gone, the driver makes a huge impact now, and Bottas isn't up to that task.

He'll finish this season, but 2022 is Russell's time.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DChemTech

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 00:18

He was already greatly underperforming, and always playing the excuses game and victim role. Raising your middle finger (literally) and saying 'f%ck' you isn't really going to go down well with fans to start with NOR is it something that fits Mercedes' clean brand image, especially from somebody that has achieved right about nothing to remotely boast about.

Now that he has to prove himself once and for all, he's nowhere and gets worse every session. Baku was particularly embarassing.

And Baku also showed just how important it is to have a full balls to the wall driver in the second seat. Just look at Perez. He might not be Ham or Ver material per sé,
but he was there all the time and when one of them falls away, he was there to still win the race and extend the WCC lead.
Hamilton made a stupid mistake that cost him dearly, but where was Bottas? nowhere, absolutely nowhere, he should have been in the top 6 no matter what.

Mercedes CANNOT afford a nr2 driver that fails them. Their material domination lead is now gone, the driver makes a huge impact now, and Bottas isn't up to that task.

I honestly don't think he was underperforming that much. Sure, he's no Hamilton. But he played his role like Barrichello played it at Ferrari and Coulthard at McLaren, and that was probably a more desirable approach than, say, going down the route of Webber or Rosberg. Most of the time he was up front when it mattered. But, as you do rightfully say, he hasn't really improved and seems to be struggling more than usual this season - and the antics aren't in his favor either. So indeed, I do reckon his time at Mercedes is limited. And honestly, that's not necessarily a bad thing for anyone. Bottas has had a proper F1 career. He managed to claim some podiums with a midfield team, moved up to a top-team and got some victories. Realistically, that was what was in it for him, and he managed to get it. Of course we all want to be world champion, but reality is that that is achievable for very few. It's no shame missing out on that. Now he can jut sit back and have a few fun years in the midfield if he can enjoy that, or otherwise, take the money he undoubtedly saved up over the years and do Finnish stuff.

codetower

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 00:18

I think the criticism towards Bottas is a bit harsh. If Hamilton is considered the greatest driver to ever drive, then BOT isn't as bad as people think. He's consistently up there with on the podium with HAM; Last year alone he out qualified him a handful of times, AND out raced him, what, about 3 times? That's not bad if you really are going against the GOAT. Lets see how this year plays out, but Verstappen's mates havent even been close. And a 4 time champion was having a hard time keeping up with Leclerc last couple of seasons.

PlatinumZealot

George Russell to be announce by silvertone?

I haven't even read the article.
Do you beleive this is true? If so, i think it is Bottas breaking the relationship and not Mercedes pushing out the wingman

https://www.carandbike.com/news/f1-merc ... ne-2462374

Wait second! Let me take backthat Bottas breaking the relationship part. Major sponsors normally have an overwhelming say on the drivers. I think INEOS, that is a British company wants George Russell in.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Marty_Y

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 01:35
George Russell to be announce by silvertone?

I haven't even read the article.
Do you beleive this is true? If so, i think it is Bottas breaking the relationship and not Mercedes pushing out the wingman

https://www.carandbike.com/news/f1-merc ... ne-2462374

Wait second! Let me take backthat Bottas breaking the relationship part. Major sponsors normally have an overwhelming say on the drivers. I think INEOS, that is a British company wants George Russell in.

I read a similar article, it seems to be just the opinion of one journalist, Joe Saward.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-ne ... lverstone/

If there are plans to drop Bottas he doesn't seem to be aware of it yet.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... g0bAl.html

If they do intend to replace him with Russell I'm not sure announcing it mid season when the constructors championship is still in the balance is the best way of going about it, unless it's his choice but why would he want to leave?

Manoah2u

Pretty simple, really. They need to sign Russell before he up and leaves elsewhere.
Alpine is looking for a hot shot, and worst case scenario Alpha Tauri ditches underperforming Tsunoda for blazing fast Russell.
Russell is being held back @ Williams, he needs to be upgraded urgently.

Bottas has been nothing but disappointing and his time is over. He has been an acceptable placeholder up until now.
Now it's time for a fast driver to make sure Mercedes doesn't fail to the threat of RedBull and probably other camps sooner or later.

I would also concider that Bottas' needs to up his game fast. If he doesn't finish top 5 in the next 2 GP's, he's not only going to lose his seat
to Russell for 2022, he might actually lose his seat to Russell this season already.

Mercedes is now 2nd in the rankings, that's unacceptable. Hamilton made a mistake which cost them dearly, 25 points, but even then, Lewis was there.
Where was Bottas? absolutely nowhere, they can't have that.

When Verstappen fails, Perez is there to snatch the points. When Hamilton fails, Bottas needs to be there.
Also, Bottas needs to be there as a wedge between Hamilton and Verstappen.

Instead, he isn't even close to Perez.

Since the last two races, Perez has gotten fully up to speed, and now Hamilton doesn't only need to deal with Verstappen, he also needs to deal with Perez.
If Bottas was where he should be, Bottas can deal with Perez.

Verstappen alone is quite the big chunk to battle with for Hamilton, but to also handicap him further with putting Perez in the same Arena and having Bottas sit back
in his cage and refusing to come out is absolutely devastating for Mercedes.

And nobody has forgotten how last season, when Hamilton had the coughs, Russell took his seat, all folded and cramped up, his shoes cut up so he can just barely fit,
his helmet higher up, with no experience whatsoever, and he absolutely schooled Bottas and should have been the GP winner had Mercedes not royally botched up his
pitstop and then even had to deal with a penalty plus tire puncture and STILL finish in the points.
IFs and IFs, sure, but IF he had recieved all similar tires, and with a little luck because of that situation NOT run through something causing a puncture,
he would have certainly been podium, perhaps even a WIN. On his debut.

All that without flipping two fingers to the crowd/fans despite having to spend an extra miserable time at Williams.

Sorry to say it but i would actually relish the opportunity to see Russell replace Bottas mid-season and see just how he'll manage.
Whatever the case, it MUST be being simulated and concidered by now.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Zynerji

I'd rather see the Ricci-> Merc, Bott->Williams, Russ->McLaren instead...

aMessageToCharlie

Zynerji wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 04:41
Might as well wish for Verstappen and Leclerc alongside Hamilton in a three car Mercedes team. :D

Ricciardo is on a three year deal at Mclaren, so that's not going to happen. Also his stock at this moment in time isnt what it used to be, so not much incentive either.

Bottas going back to Williams seems realistic looking at Massa and Barricello though.

nzjrs

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 10:50
Zynerji wrote:
Might as well wish for Verstappen and Leclerc alongside Hamilton in a three car Mercedes team. :D

Ricciardo is on a three year deal at Mclaren, so that's not going to happen. Also his stock at this moment in time isnt what it used to be, so not much incentive either.

Bottas going back to Williams seems realistic looking at Massa and Barricello though.
Bottas could also just retire and go rallying, he does seem to enjoy it.

Zynerji

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I just can't see Toto putting Russell next to Hamilton in 2022. Going to be McL2007 all over again.

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 13:04
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I just can't see Toto putting Russell next to Hamilton in 2022. Going to be McL2007 all over again.
As it is the silly season thread, I fancy Stroll at Merc with Hamilton, and Russell at Aston with Bottas. ( However Seb seems to be waking up now so maybe not). This would give us a good gauge for 3 drivers who are not really known standards but could be good.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 14:00
Zynerji wrote:
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

Sadly, I think Stroll@Merc would be amazing. That guy's is quite quick when he has a sorted car...

As it is the silly season thread, I fancy Stroll at Merc with Hamilton, and Russell at Aston with Bottas. ( However Seb seems to be waking up now so maybe not). This would give us a good gauge for 3 drivers who are not really known standards but could be good.

DChemTech

Zynerji wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 16:06
Big Tea wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Sadly, I think Stroll@Merc would be amazing. That guy's is quite quick when he has a sorted car...

For a real silly season, let's put Mazepin and Latifi at MB, and Hamilton and Verstappen at HAAS.

NathanOlder

DChemTech wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 16:18
Zynerji wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 16:06
Big Tea wrote:

For a real silly season, let's put Mazepin and Latifi at MB, and Hamilton and Verstappen at HAAS.
Perez wins the championship and Max and Lewis tie with 0 points each.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mezger

Either or both would score in a HASS surely?