IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
the EDGE

Re: IndyCar Series

Sevach wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 12:03
mclaren111 wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 11:02
Great race by Pato O'Ward yesterday... :D :D
Absolutely =D> , drove like a man posessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbAl7H- ... aren212010
Yes O’Ward drove a sensational race, getting the best from his tyres and going into the final few laps with a huge advantage over the rest of the field. Stella job by the whole team

I thoroughly enjoyed race, it even made up for no F1. It’s great to have McLaren there (and doing well) sport is always enjoyable when you have someone to cheer on

Wouter

:(

The Power of Dreams!

the EDGE

Chuckjr

Wow this is great! I’m a huge Indycar fan and to see Macca dropping an F1 pilot into the seat for a Road America weekend is fantastic. Love seeing crossover between F1 and Indycar. It went on for a while in the Indy heydays of the 80-90’s, and I’d love to see it return. THANK YOU MCLAREN!! 👍👍👍😎😎😎
Watching F1 since 1986.

Rodak

Any idea where to stream Road America?

Chuckjr

If you missed Road America this last weekend you missed some great racing. Magnussen actually lead the race at one point. Grosjean called the race “The funnest race of his career.” (Min 4:24 in video link below)

Here’s some interviews from the drivers post race:

IndyCar is returning, it seems, to becoming a racing series F1 pilots frequent because the racing is so competitive. Everyone has a chance to win.

If you want to see some great racing where the tires aren’t crap, cars can actually follow closely, and pass opportunities can be developed without pathetic aids like DRS, this is a great series to check out.

IndyCar doesn’t suffer the political bull$hi# the F1 circus can’t escape. In fact, it’s not just 2-4 drivers and one or two teams that have potential to win each week, but the entire field.

Imo, it’s a more respectable accomplishment to win the WDC in IndyCar because team resources and power unit advantages don’t determine the winner over driver skill.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Chuckjr

More race highlights:

Watching F1 since 1986.

Jolle

Chuckjr wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 18:49
If you missed Road America this last weekend you missed some great racing. Magnussen actually lead the race at one point. Grosjean called the race “The funnest race of his career.” (Min 4:24 in video link below)

IndyCar is returning, it seems, to becoming a racing series F1 pilots frequent because the racing is so competitive. Everyone has a chance to win.

If you want to see some great racing where the tires aren’t crap, cars can actually follow closely, and pass opportunities can be developed without pathetic aids like DRS, this is a great series to check out.

IndyCar doesn’t suffer the political bull$hi# the F1 circus can’t escape. In fact, it’s not just 2-4 drivers and one or two teams that have potential to win each week, but the entire field.

Imo, it’s a more respectable accomplishment to win the WDC in IndyCar because team resources and power unit advantages don’t determine the winner over driver skill.
This is true. Indycar is so exciting that even Marcus Erikson can stay awake for a whole race.

the EDGE

Jolle wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 19:51
Chuckjr wrote:

This is true. Indycar is so exciting that even Marcus Erikson can stay awake for a whole race.
Actually the tyres do seem to be a big taking point in Indy too, with very high degradation, especially on the softer reds

The racing is certainly closer and the driver get their elbows out… but the stewards do t hand out penalties like they were smarties, drivers just seem to get on with it

The speed really comes across on the tv cameras which is another highlight for me

And best of all… plenty of good old grass along the side of the track!

I’m loving Indy car as much as F1!

SmallSoldier

Chuckjr wrote:If you missed Road America this last weekend you missed some great racing. Magnussen actually lead the race at one point. Grosjean called the race “The funnest race of his career.” (Min 4:24 in video link below)

I love Indycar and have been following for a long time… But, I can’t agree with some of your statements:

The tires are crap: There is a ridiculous high amount of degradation, to the point that 3 stoppers are the norm, if not for the need to refuel, you will hear the drivers complain about them in every race… Since they have to refuel, changing tires isn’t as big of an issue

You can drive closer, but instead of the pathetic DRS, they have the “pathetic” push to pass… Without it, you wouldn’t have as many overtakes as they exist today… DRS and Push to Pass are at the end both driver aids to assist with overtaking, so not a lot different really.

In regards to the Engines, I would argue that Honda has a big advantage, not only in terms of power, but more importantly fuel consumption… The Chevy cars have to do more fuel saving than the Honda ones, so you still have the engine you are using at play in the series.

It’s a great series to watch, I enjoy the races, but I still believe that F1 is superior one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chuckjr

When the entire field can win rather than just two drivers, it’s a greater accomplishment to win, imo. Beating 20 drivers rather than a slower team mate is a much higher accomplishment. But we can agree to disagree.

The push to pass is different in that it is not unlimited like DRS which can be used the whole race. Push to pass can be used anywhere whereas DRS only in specific sections for limited time. Push to pass runs out and drivers suffer for using it unwisely. DRS suffers no such phenomena. DRS and push to pass are not the same...like, at all. Agree to disagree.

Tires are much more manageable in IndyCar than F1. They don’t require all kinds of special heat cycles to get just perfect for maybe half a lap if the driver is lucky. They also don’t explode down the straight randomly each season. They are completely different rubber compounds. I don’t know what you’re talking about. All your points are weak arguments against the series, imo. Indy is certainly a more competitive series than F1. Not as technical, but much more competitive and passing happens constantly the whole race by 90% of the participants. It may not have the glitter glamor and glitz but since when did real racing need or even want any of that nonsense?

Glad you dig the series. I wish more people here did.

Cheers-
Watching F1 since 1986.

subcritical71

Chuckjr wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 07:20

The push to pass is different in that it is not unlimited like DRS which can be used the whole race. Push to pass can be used anywhere whereas DRS only in specific sections for limited time. Push to pass runs out and drivers suffer for using it unwisely. DRS suffers no such phenomena. DRS and push to pass are not the same...like, at all. Agree to disagree.
Another point on the PtP, it doesn't automatically put the leading driver at a disadvantage. Both the leading and trailing driver can use it to attack or defend. Its more like the battery deployment strategy in F1 than it is DRS.

I've always liked Indycar and its good to see its management getting better over the last years.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mclaren111

the EDGE wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 21:18
Jolle wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 19:51
Chuckjr wrote:

Actually the tyres do seem to be a big taking point in Indy too, with very high degradation, especially on the softer reds

The racing is certainly closer and the driver get their elbows out… but the stewards do t hand out penalties like they were smarties, drivers just seem to get on with it

The speed really comes across on the tv cameras which is another highlight for me

And best of all… plenty of good old grass along the side of the track!

I’m loving Indy car as much as F1!

And they sound like racing cars... =D> =D>

Morteza

Another podium for Grosjean :)
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare