Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
User avatar
Big Tea
165
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

nzjrs wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:49 am
JordanMugen wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:40 am


Bizarre that Mercedes did not make more efforts to find a driver at least at the level of Button or Rosberg. For example Alonso or Ricciardo were available for 2019, perhaps they would perform worse than Button or Rosberg compared to Hamilton after all, but Mercedes did not even trial these drivers to find out!
I suspect Hamilton would have Vetoed Alonso and possibly Ricciardo too.
I suspect Hamilton would not have approved of Alonso for a team mate, but not because he would not be sure of trouncing him, but because of politics in the team and press. However, I am also fairly sure that had he complained to toto about it he would have been told 'tough luck, live with it'
I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it-
Voltaire, or several other claimants.

DChemTech
DChemTech
71
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:40 am
Zynerji wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 pm
Is Russell better? Maybe. Will it change the outcome of the WCC? Probably not.
You don't seem to be putting Russell's best interests first? :?:

codetower wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:08 pm
I think the criticism towards Bottas is a bit harsh. If Hamilton is considered the greatest driver to ever drive, then BOT isn't as bad as people think.
Yet Bottas is demonstrably not as good as Button or Rosberg compared to Hamilton. That's the problem.

Bizarre that Mercedes did not make more efforts to find a driver at least at the level of Button or Rosberg. For example Alonso or Ricciardo were available for 2019, perhaps they would perform worse than Button or Rosberg compared to Hamilton after all, but Mercedes did not even trial these drivers to find out!
What is so bizarre about that? In fact, I think that after 2016, it's absolutely logical that MB didn't want another driver like Rosberg.
They wanted a Barrichello. And they found one.

oT v1
oT v1
1
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

DChemTech wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:24 am

What is so bizarre about that? In fact, I think that after 2016, it's absolutely logical that MB didn't want another driver like Rosberg.
They wanted a Barrichello. And they found one.
Been saying this for the last 2 years! To be fair to the haters though, this season he hasn’t been close enough to play that role. Coming 2nd to Ham all the time will annoy the haters but barely scraping points might be an issue for MB.
The Power of Dreams

piast9
piast9
27
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:18 am
I suspect Hamilton would not have approved of Alonso for a team mate, but not because he would not be sure of trouncing him, but because of politics in the team and press. However, I am also fairly sure that had he complained to toto about it he would have been told 'tough luck, live with it'
Last time I've checked Toto Wolff was the team principal in Mercedes, not Hamilton. Why would Hamilton have to accept a team mate? He may express his opinion but the decision should not be up to him.

UlleGulle
UlleGulle
1
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen, but for arguments sake. Let's say Mercedes doesn't want to pit Russel against Hamilton and risk either a 2007 ALO-HAM rivalry or a 2017 ALO-VAN soul-crushing.

How about Gasly?

He pulls out good results, and well, by now he should have realized both that Red Bull will never take him back, and also, that he might not be as good as Hamilton and Verstappen.

TNTHead
TNTHead
30
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

Ocon staying at Renault. What does that mean for Mercedes. That Hamilton will stay a bit longer with Russell as his team mate? Don't see Russel and Bottas for the years to come.

dans79
dans79
398
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

It was reported that Lewis wanted to retire at 40 within the last week I believe.
176 101 100 7

User avatar
NathanOlder
166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

dans79 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:09 pm
It was reported that Lewis wanted to retire at 40 within the last week I believe.
I thought it was before 40 and not at 40 ? I think he will sign 1 more contract, 2 years with an option of a 3rd. We will find out soon enough.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

User avatar
Zynerji
136
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:40 am
Zynerji wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 pm
Is Russell better? Maybe. Will it change the outcome of the WCC? Probably not.
You don't seem to be putting Russell's best interests first? :?:

codetower wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:08 pm
I think the criticism towards Bottas is a bit harsh. If Hamilton is considered the greatest driver to ever drive, then BOT isn't as bad as people think.
Yet Bottas is demonstrably not as good as Button or Rosberg compared to Hamilton. That's the problem.

Bizarre that Mercedes did not make more efforts to find a driver at least at the level of Button or Rosberg. For example Alonso or Ricciardo were available for 2019, perhaps they would perform worse than Button or Rosberg compared to Hamilton after all, but Mercedes did not even trial these drivers to find out!
I'm not Russell's manager or his Mum.

I don't care about his personal, best interest. I'm talking about the Team, and the huge value of increasing above the sum of the individual parts.
Last edited by Zynerji on Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Big Tea
165
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

piast9 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:05 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:18 am
I suspect Hamilton would not have approved of Alonso for a team mate, but not because he would not be sure of trouncing him, but because of politics in the team and press. However, I am also fairly sure that had he complained to toto about it he would have been told 'tough luck, live with it'
Last time I've checked Toto Wolff was the team principal in Mercedes, not Hamilton. Why would Hamilton have to accept a team mate? He may express his opinion but the decision should not be up to him.
Is that not what I said?
I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it-
Voltaire, or several other claimants.

User avatar
Zynerji
136
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

I bet Hamilton couldn't handle a similar situation that Alonso had in 2007, so it has been avoided at all cost.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum
114
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

Verstappen is the biggest threat to Mercedes by a country mile. Signing Verstappen would kill two birds with one stone; finding a solution to the Hamilton problem, and distancing themselves from the competition.

It won't happen though, even if Verstappen's supposed "exit clause" permits it.

In reality, its probably going to be Bottas for another year.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
777
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

Zynerji wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm
I bet Hamilton couldn't handle a similar situation that Alonso had in 2007, so it has been avoided at all cost.
I bet he'd handle it better than Alonso did... :lol:
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
Zynerji
136
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:00 pm
Zynerji wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm
I bet Hamilton couldn't handle a similar situation that Alonso had in 2007, so it has been avoided at all cost.
I bet he'd handle it better than Alonso did... :lol:
We will see... History may show Russell was held in a Williams at Hamiltons requirement.

Someone will eventually spill them beans!🤣

Jolle
Jolle
255
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post

Oh I was missing Alonso for a while at the silly season thread. See you guys dug him up again 😂