2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

SiLo wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 17:57
It also might be to confirm if there are issues with it. Better to get a second opinion first before potentially having to produce another chassis.
They already have one available.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/18/bot ... sponsible/
“We swap parts around all the time,” Mercedes CEO Toto Wolff told Sky. “This is part of the planning, as these carry-over chassis run for a second season, so we are not accumulating millions of miles on one, basically that’s part of the plan.”

Bottas led Hamilton in both of today’s practice sessions. During the afternoon running Hamilton was heard telling his team on the radio something felt wrong with his car’s handling.

However Hamilton doubts switching to his team mate’s chassis has put him at a disadvantage. “Very rarely do you have any differences between the chassis,” he said.

Wolff said the team is prepared to give Hamilton an alternative chassis if he isn’t happy with his latest one.

“It’s the chassis that was splendid in Monaco, that qualified Valtteri right in front,” said Wolff. “But you never know. You listen to the engineers and they said it’s all tested and it’s stiff, there shouldn’t be any difference, but if the driver feels that it’s not then it’s definitely not worth trying to make a point here, then you just need to change.”

“It’s good to get the feedback and if it calms the driver’s mind, we have a spare chassis, which is a brand new one, we can always do that,” Wolff added.
197 104 103 7

dans79

the lap times are up, and it for sure seems like Lewis can find some more pace over one lap.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... es_v01.pdf

As was mentioned in the broadcast, he did indeed have two goes at a hot lap in his first stint.
Lap     Time
 2      2:35.856
 3      2:08.919
 4      1:33.289
 5      2:40.533
 6      1:34.123
 7 P   12:36.270
An he did have a lot of fuel onboard when he set his fastest time during his second stint. He almost matched his pace on the last lap of the stint as well.
Lap     Time
 8      2:25.733
 9      1:33.125
10      2:59.207
11      2:24.207
12      1:33.154
13 P    8:02.351
197 104 103 7

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

dans79 wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 18:39
the lap times are up, and it for sure seems like Lewis can find some more pace over one lap.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... es_v01.pdf

As was mentioned in the broadcast, he did indeed have two goes at a hot lap in his first stint.
Lap     Time
 2      2:35.856
 3      2:08.919
 4      1:33.289
 5      2:40.533
 6      1:34.123
 7 P   12:36.270
An he did have a lot of fuel onboard when he set his fastest time during his second stint. He almost matched his pace on the last lap of the stint as well.
Lap     Time
 8      2:25.733
 9      1:33.125
10      2:59.207
11      2:24.207
12      1:33.154
13 P    8:02.351
Nice one, thanks for posting that!

I would give it a up vote but for some reason I can't do it on the tablet I'm using.

dans79

Marty_Y wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 19:11
I would give it a up vote but for some reason I can't do it on the tablet I'm using.
For future reference, the forum requires you to open and close the voting interface twice to vote on touch devices. It's been that was for a while, I don't think anyone really knows why!
197 104 103 7

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

dans79 wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 19:14
Marty_Y wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 19:11
For future reference, the forum requires you to open and close the voting interface twice to vote on touch devices. It's been that was for a while, I don't think anyone really knows why!
Excellent, thank you, that works!

I asked the mods about it and they just suggested to use a PC instead.

arunji88
arunji88

Last edited by arunji88 on 18 Jun 2021, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

zibby43
zibby43

This is also explains how there is more to come from Hamilton. From Mark Hughes:

“Max Verstappen’s Red Bull headed the fastest times by a bare 0.008s from Valtteri Bottas’s Mercedes.

Bottas was running a higher engine mode than Hamilton when he did that time, worth around 0.5s, and was faster by only 0.25s. Bottas however was on the medium tyre to the softs of Hamilton and Verstappen (though there seemed little time difference between the two compounds).

GPS analysis suggests that Verstappen’s lap was run with similar power to that of Bottas. All of which sounds quite promising for Mercedes, but with margins too small to be certain of anything.“

SiLo

dans79 wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 18:03
SiLo wrote:
It also might be to confirm if there are issues with it. Better to get a second opinion first before potentially having to produce another chassis.

“We swap parts around all the time,” Mercedes CEO Toto Wolff told Sky. “This is part of the planning, as these carry-over chassis run for a second season, so we are not accumulating millions of miles on one, basically that’s part of the plan.”

Bottas led Hamilton in both of today’s practice sessions. During the afternoon running Hamilton was heard telling his team on the radio something felt wrong with his car’s handling.

However Hamilton doubts switching to his team mate’s chassis has put him at a disadvantage. “Very rarely do you have any differences between the chassis,” he said.

Wolff said the team is prepared to give Hamilton an alternative chassis if he isn’t happy with his latest one.

“It’s the chassis that was splendid in Monaco, that qualified Valtteri right in front,” said Wolff. “But you never know. You listen to the engineers and they said it’s all tested and it’s stiff, there shouldn’t be any difference, but if the driver feels that it’s not then it’s definitely not worth trying to make a point here, then you just need to change.”

“It’s good to get the feedback and if it calms the driver’s mind, we have a spare chassis, which is a brand new one, we can always do that,” Wolff added.
Yes but if they have to use, then they need to likely build another which would potentially be outside of their plans and at significant cost.
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

SiLo wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 20:45
dans79 wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 18:03
SiLo wrote:

Yes but if they have to use, then they need to likely build another which would potentially be outside of their plans and at significant cost.
Or they could put the dodgy chassis back on the shelf and hope they don't ever need it.

On another note, By giving Hamilton a chance to evaluate the dodgy chassis means the team can bring in a brand new one and it goes to Lewis instead of Bottas.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

F1Krof

With what appears to be a yet another low key performance in a track where they're expected to be strong, while Max going 7 tenths faster on the same track, with flexi-wing clampped and tyre pressure gimmickry clamped, we can conclude that Merc's 2021 season to have become a fart in the bottle. My belief is that they where overconfident, overestimated their chance and underestimated the effect of the rule changes and their opponents' abilities.

It had to come to an end sometime.
Wroom wroom

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

F1Krof wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 13:11
With what appears to be a yet another low key performance in a track where they're expected to be strong, while Max going 7 tenths faster on the same track, with flexi-wing clampped and tyre pressure gimmickry clamped, we can conclude that Merc's 2021 season to have become a fart in the bottle. My belief is that they where overconfident, overestimated their chance and underestimated the effect of the rule changes and their opponents' abilities.

I think we need to wait till after qualification, it has often been the pattern that Red Bull turn up their PU for fp3 and it looks like pole is out of reach, then in qualification Mercedes give everything they've got and it's very close.

I do find it worrying that Mercedes still seem to be struggling to get the softer compounds to work for them consistently.

Mercedes must feel they have a fundamentally fast car that is capable of winning because it seems that they haven't brought major upgrades yet.

e30ernest
e30ernest

I think after the qualifying today Mercedes is clearly lacking in 1 lap pace. They seem confident still though. Either they're repeating mistakes made by teams before who've stopped developing too early to chase a rule change (like BMW) or they genuinely have more to unlock in the car. They're lack of updates is very puzzling.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

'We need to gain everywhere'
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff on Sky Sports: "We're lacking pace, that's the truth. We just need to gain everywhere. There is not just one part we are looking at to up our game.

"I think it's fantastic what has been thrown at us [this season]. No year is easy but this year? It's awesome."

bosyber
bosyber

F1Krof wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 13:11

They are still pretty close though in points for all that. So maybe it is just that finally Red Bull (were forced to?) not starting anew but working on their good car from end of season, and the rule-changes being easier to 'repair' for higher rake cars than for the low rake two teams working to make the competition finally be there. Not sure why it has to be overconfidence rather than Red Bull managed to get that job done better than Merc, for the first time in years.

djones
djones

I don't understand why Toto in the post qual interview again was saying the chassis swap was to balance the miles.

How does that make any sense given both drivers do virtually identical laps over a weekend??