2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Yeah, not good. Charles complaining all session and he still goes faster by 0.2

Shame, seems McLaren has been outdeveloped.

SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
Seerix wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 15:59
Daniel is going with mediums for the first try as he does not have 2 softs left.
Lando on new softs.
Smart.
Not ideal, specially been behind both Ferrari’s… Tomorrow will be tough, hopefully the qualifying result is due to the team setting up the car more towards the race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:What was the screw up this time? What is going on with Q3 this year?
I don’t think there Wes anything screwed up, simply the car isn’t as fast as we hoped / thought to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hudnut

Interesting RIC is only a tenth behind NOR this qually. I wonder if he is coming to grips with the car, or if he's just stepping further out of his comfort zone at Paul Ricard because the consequences of getting it wrong are less, given the big run off areas.

Darth-Piekus

I think we can unfortunately say that Ferrari has outdeveloped Mclaren at the moment. I don't know how that can change. Makes me wonder what would have happened if the FIA let us modify that chassis to how we wanted for the engine and not with limitations.

However points are given tomorrow and anything can happen. I mean Vettel got a podium.

Seerix

Lando's radio after quali "Yeah, not very good. I didn't put it together"
Last edited by Seerix on 19 Jun 2021, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:14

Slipped to 5th quickest again I think.

Quite a substantial update to the car for this race too, have the others brought more?
Just a fan's point of view

Emag

Ferrari being better is no news. They have been better since Barcelona. Not sure if its worth it developing this car given next year is more important.

Guess we have to settle for 4th.

Emag

CjC wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:19
Emag wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:14

Slipped to 5th quickest again I think.

Quite a substantial update to the car for this race too, have the others brought more?
Two little winglets and some slots in the rear wing is not a substantial upgrade.

Either way, I doubt its about upgrades. The other teams are getting more from their cars. Its either a case of having less ultimate potential in the car, or just not putting it together.

MrGapes

Lets hope for a damp track at the start, it does seem from sector 3 indications and from the rear wing the team is running more DF...

mwillems

Emag wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:20
Ferrari being better is no news. They have been better since Barcelona. Not sure if its worth it developing this car given next year is more important.

Yeah, the Ferrari seems to be an all round good car, but it wouldn't surprise me if they pushed the engine mode for the weekend given that the track needs power to be quick, so it may bight them at somepoint if it goes bang. But that is just conjecture.

I think I mentioned after the last race, my opinion that the Ferrari is outright faster than the Mclaren and that we need DR to get up to speed to have a chance at 3rd. but it looks like it could get away from us.

That said, all it takes is for a Ferrari to have a mishap and for us to finish in the points and we are 3rd again.

As far as developments, I think Mclaren had said there were more things coming up until the summer break, and then it stops, unless they spot some low hanging fruit.

I'm happy with 4th for this year, it's a throwaway year and the team is still making good progress, plus, I don't mind the extra development time for the second year of the new regulations.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:26
Lets hope for a damp track at the start, it does seem from sector 3 indications and from the rear wing the team is running more DF...
We have typically been better in the race than in Qualy this year, so we can make places, that's for sure. And all it takes is a good start and it's a different race for us. Everything to play for, but we have to be realistic and see that the car is a little slower than the red one overall. Bit it's great to see Ferrari back up there I think, I'd just like to see more on track battles with them, rather than the tussle being largely just on the championship table.

otherwise it has been a great year for racing, this is one of the best to watch F1 seasons in a long time. It's a shame they change the rules next year.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:26
Emag wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:20

Yeah, the Ferrari seems to be an all round good car, but it wouldn't surprise me if they pushed the engine mode for the weekend given that the track needs power to be quick, so it may bight them at somepoint if it goes bang. But that is just conjecture.

I think I mentioned after the last race, my opinion that the Ferrari is outright faster than the Mclaren and that we need DR to get up to speed to have a chance at 3rd. but it looks like it could get away from us.

That said, all it takes is for a Ferrari to have a mishap and for us to finish in the points and we are 3rd again.

As far as developments, I think Mclaren had said there were more things coming up until the summer break, and then it stops, unless they spot some low hanging fruit.

I'm happy with 4th for this year, it's a throwaway year and the team is still making good progress, plus, I don't mind the extra development time for the second year of the new regulations.
Exactly - I think people forget the team adopted a new PU architecture to a less than ideal chassis, whilst lack of tokens for other more urgent changes required for the car

Besides that I'm not complaining fun racing, I think it will still be very close, the drivers might need to work harder on a Sunday - but the pace is there
Last edited by MrGapes on 19 Jun 2021, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Szabi1112

Poor Q3 performance from Lando :(

DragonSGC

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:17
I think we can unfortunately say that Ferrari has outdeveloped Mclaren at the moment. I don't know how that can change. Makes me wonder what would have happened if the FIA let us modify that chassis to how we wanted for the engine and not with limitations.

However points are given tomorrow and anything can happen. I mean Vettel got a podium.
But have Mclaren though? from what all I have read is that Ferarri have basically stopped development and any performance they found is just by understanding their existing package, kind of what Merc are doing this year and what Merc did at the beginning of 2019 in the 2nd week of pre-season testing.

Mclaren's development is still on going yet they still keep on losing out to the Ferrari's on Saturday, fair enough there are no points are given out on a Saturday but its making their lives far more difficult on a Sunday.