2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:06
RedNEO wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 16:58
max_speed wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 16:55
Very good race by fernando. Struggled massively in 1st stint but fought well and in 2nd stint was mega. Little surprised he remained stuck behind gasly for good 8-10 laps not sure why could not get overtake done. May be because tyre age was similar for gasly, ricciardo and alonso. Alipne suffering a lot in race.
Because gasly was using DRS behind RIC otherwise Alonso would have got them both if they didn’t have DRS to save there ass
Looked to me that Gas was matching Alonso. They were both catching Ric. Once Gas caught Ric, Ric started to hold up Gas.
At some point Alonso was over 3 seconds behind Gas and brought it down to a second before Gas caught RIC so ALO defo had a little bit more pace but GAS was saved by RIC being slower. Alonso had DRS on GAS before GAS had DRS on RIC but only for a couple of laps which was not enough.
Last edited by RedNEO on 20 Jun 2021, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.S

Alpine is good with when the tyres are hard, like C1-C2 range. They are not good with C4-C5 range. I think it is possibly the most mercurial car of the batch even more than Ferrari or other teams. Look @ Spain or Portugal then suddenly we go to C4-C5 Range in Monaco-Baku & it isn't that good. Today they started on C4 & didn't look good but on the C2 (Hards) worked well.

Ferrari look good in slow corners & softer rubber, like total reverse of Alpine. We know RB work better on softer rubber & Mercedes on harder rubber. But probably no car on the grid has performance changing this much with C1 to C5 Tyre range as Alpine !

RedNEO

They just deg more on softer tyres but on hards (ALO) especially can keep pace even at the end of the stint with Hamilton. I think that’s something that’s a fundamental problem built into this car that they can’t fully change until next year . But yes I agree even with Alonso’s brilliant start he eventually got eaten up because the tyres could not handle it.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:12
diffuser wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:06
RedNEO wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 16:58

Because gasly was using DRS behind RIC otherwise Alonso would have got them both if they didn’t have DRS to save there ass
Looked to me that Gas was matching Alonso. They were both catching Ric. Once Gas caught Ric, Ric started to hold up Gas.
At some point Alonso was over 3 seconds behind Gas and brought it down to a second before Gas caught RIC so ALO defo had a little bit more pace but GAS was saved by RIC being slower. Alonso had DRS on GAS before GAS had DRS on RIC but only for a a couple of laps which was not enough.
Ok, Alo was faster that Gas, Gas was faster that Ric but neither of them could get passed Ric, who didn't have DRS.

Think if they would have has a 2.2 sec pitstop, Alonso would have ended up ahead Gas.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:31
They just deg more on softer tyres but on hards (ALO) especially can keep pace even at the end of the stint with Hamilton. I think that’s something that’s a fundamental problem built into this car that they can’t fully change until next year . But yes I agree even with Alonso’s brilliant start he eventually got eaten up because the tyres could not handle it.
Have no idea what it is, don't know enough about suspensions to try and understand what this is. They seem to be able to generate more heat in their tires which isn't always a bad thing, It helps them switch on the hards quickly. They just seem to generate a little too much heat in softer tire to get good distance out of them and the harder tire isn't fast enough.

The Pilot

Maybe higher centre of gravity from air box?

diffuser

The Pilot wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:49
Maybe higher centre of gravity from air box?
The airbox weighs nothing, empty tubes. You could probably also argue that the only rad up there is further back and lower now that it was last year.

The Pilot

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.form ... ONT1B.html

I was thinking of this link regarding centre of gravity compromises. Typically there would be higher tyre degradation with a higher centre of gravity, so softs wear out quicker?

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:31
Complete suspension redesign next year cause of the regulation change. Think they've disallowed hydrolics in the suspension?

Think some of it is setup. Think you want the tyre to makes as much contact with the track as possible but the suspension moves causing the camber to change,therefore,the amount of contact to varry.

diffuser

We didn't do so well last year in Austria. Ric qualified 10th....Then DNF'd in the race (and he had company). Ocon didn't qualify in the top 10 (I'll give him that it was his first race back). He did finish 8th in the race but there were only 11th finishers (Giovinazzi, Vettel and Latif were behind him).

radosav

I thought f1 cars are faster.

diffuser

Andres125sx

radosav wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 18:53
I thought f1 cars are faster.
https://mobile.twitter.com/startonpole/ ... 3667872773
Do you know any faster car?

Wow about Alonso reaction time and feeling with the clutch :wtf: =D> =D>

radosav

Prost on Alonso

“I always remember when I stopped for what was really only six months in fact in '92, how difficult it was to come back,” Prost told Motorsport.com.

“But we were testing every week, we were testing all time. So it was obvious that Fernando could not be at the top at the beginning.

“It's a new car, new team, and also not driving F1 for two years. He had the target of the French GP more or less, saying ‘Okay, well, I need four or five races.’ It's nothing special, it's a normal way. Now he's back, for sure.”

Prost admitted that he found it hard to adjust after his return from his break in 1992.

“Yes, because the first tests were different, it was difficult physically, physiologically. Sometimes you're a little bit surprised that you think that you can make it. And you need to get time to get everything correct. The automatism, and the vision and everything, I found it difficult.

“So I realised how difficult it must be for someone like Fernando who did not F1 for two years. And then you have only one day and a half testing with the new car, with all the systems you need to understand.

“I don't know if the age is a criteria. But in the case of Fernando he very strong, he is still in good shape. It's more the fact that it's normal, driving F1, the best car in the world. If he was at the top immediately, it would not be normal, honesty.”

diffuser

The Pilot wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 18:14
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.form ... ONT1B.html

I was thinking of this link regarding centre of gravity compromises. Typically there would be higher tyre degradation with a higher centre of gravity, so softs wear out quicker?
They even say in that artical that aero perf rules over center of gravit. By increasing aero perf, in effect your lowering the center of gravity.