Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

godlameroso wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 17:45
gruntguru wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 00:15
godlameroso wrote:
31 May 2021, 22:09

As in using 2 compressors instead of a compressor and turbine? Then you're routing the exhaust gases into the compressor inlet, and the outlets become the wastegate(s)? Well I realize how foolish the idea is. Constructive criticism is much appreciated.

Just wondering what it would be like if you had a way to maintain manifold pressure independent of the compressor, like with an air tank or something.
I was only commenting on whether the existing turbine could be used as a pump to electrically evacuate the exhaust manifold (it can't). If it was for example a positive displacement device (piston or rootes expander) it could be motored to pump exhaust gas out of the engine.
Right, and the reason why is because the turbine in design is the inversion of the compressor. The part that shoots out gas on the compressor is used as the inlet on the turbine, and the part that would be the inlet is also inverted, so the effect is the turbine works inverse to the compressor. It is fed compressed air and reduces the pressure of the gas at the exhaust, thus extracting torque.

If the turbine design would be inverted, then the inlet of this type of turbine would be the same as the compressor. That is the inlet would would be at the front of this device. The exhaust pulses would not be diffused but rather compressed further, and likely causing flow reversion. You would still have backpressure but it would be outside of the system, and the internal resistance of the exhaust gases being further compressed, and rebounding compression waves. Would the combustion engine even be capable of powering such a device? "Twin compressor engine"

IF you could think of any advantages of having such a system, the aforementioned exhaust scavenging, along with a prodigious amount of exhaust volume?

Hmmm
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

There were rumors about Honda having vibration issues. Honda in Spanish, and in a way Italian, roughly translates to wave/frequency.

Just like concept "success" or "I succeeded" is pronounced the same in Japanese and Spanish. "ya esta" or "ya ta'" in slang sounds a lot like "yah-taa"
Saishū kōnā

Roostfactor

godlameroso wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 17:02
There were rumors about Honda having vibration issues. Honda in Spanish, and in a way Italian, roughly translates to wave/frequency.

Just like concept "success" or "I succeeded" is pronounced the same in Japanese and Spanish. "ya esta" or "ya ta'" in slang sounds a lot like "yah-taa"
So what are you saying here?

godlameroso

Roostfactor wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 01:18
godlameroso wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 17:02

So what are you saying here?
That everyone always says, oh Honda has vibration problems, there's always vibration issues, and I'm merely saying that things get lost in translation. Where you go from there is a choice I leave up to you.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM

Are you really trying to imply people are struggling to translate 'Honda' ? :wtf:

It's a name, it doesn't get translated. It's still Honda.

And the reason people were suggesting those issues was the component swaps, transmission vibration and gear selection issues being reported match up to exactly the same as they had before when they had vibration/combustion instability issues having pushed the engines to the limit. That's not translation, it's just speculation based on previous knowledge.

NL_Fer

Any suggestion when the 3rd unit will be installed?

Maybe Monza, the reuse an older unit for Netherlands & USA?

Wazari

I just wanted to respond to the PM's I have received and since they were almost saying and asking the same things, I am going to answer them here and sorry for not answering them individually.
Yes, I am still with HRD. I never left but did leave the F1 program for a short while but was asked and did return after it was decided that our team's architecture for the ICE as it was conceived (2016-2017) would be run this season. Not just components of the design but in its entirety. I will attend every race this season as part of the transition to Red Bull. Long journey.
Yes, there is only one skunkworks team. It was really a long time friend, a person who dedicated close to 50 years of his life to Honda, Ueda-san who brought the original members of this team together. Other members were brought in, mainly by Asaki-san, but without Ueda-san; no skunkworks team.
After the season is over and Honda is officially out of F1 and Red Bull has taken over, I will discuss this current architecture's journey, how GE/Honda jet got involved and how "Kumamoto plating" came into the picture.
Finally, thank you to all the kind words and encouragement received from so many of you. Believe it or not, it has a great impact to me. 2020 was a very sad year for me. Ueda-san passed and my daughter lost her battle to cancer. Your words brought me happiness through a very difficult time. Please be good humans.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Baulz

Thank you Wazari

Roostfactor

Yes thank you Wazari-san!!!

Capharol

Thank you Wazari-san

nzjrs

Thanks a lot Wazari-San!

I'm sorry to hear about the grief of 2020.

Pyrone89

Wazari wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 16:07
I just wanted to respond to the PM's I have received and since they were almost saying and asking the same things, I am going to answer them here and sorry for not answering them individually.
Yes, I am still with HRD. I never left but did leave the F1 program for a short while but was asked and did return after it was decided that our team's architecture for the ICE as it was conceived (2016-2017) would be run this season. Not just components of the design but in its entirety. I will attend every race this season as part of the transition to Red Bull. Long journey.
Yes, there is only one skunkworks team. It was really a long time friend, a person who dedicated close to 50 years of his life to Honda, Ueda-san who brought the original members of this team together. Other members were brought in, mainly by Asaki-san, but without Ueda-san; no skunkworks team.
After the season is over and Honda is officially out of F1 and Red Bull has taken over, I will discuss this current architecture's journey, how GE/Honda jet got involved and how "Kumamoto plating" came into the picture.
Finally, thank you to all the kind words and encouragement received from so many of you. Believe it or not, it has a great impact to me. 2020 was a very sad year for me. Ueda-san passed and my daughter lost her battle to cancer. Your words brought me happiness through a very difficult time. Please be good humans.
Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your personal losses.

I have some question (that I think more people have). I hope you can answer them for us:

1. Will Honda indeed develop a 2022 powerunit like if they were not leaving (so full effort and resources)? Or are they only doing the necessary stuff (biofuel). Think alot of people are afraid of the Red Bull teams dropping back in 2022 as you can be sure Mercedes is going to give 100% to make an upgraded engine to go into the freeze of 2022-2025

2. Are the issues of 2021 spec 1 now solved? Did these issues meant they had to turn down power with spec 1 2021 as has been speculated?

3. Is RB free to use the Honda engine IP in a newly designed 2025 onwards engine? Or do they have to design their own engine from scratch?

Hope you can answer these for us, thx.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

lio007

Thanks a lot Wazari-san!
Your contribution to this thread is, as always, really appreciated! And I'm quite excited to hear from you after the season!

BTW thank you for your hard work and dedication. We finally can really fight for the championship!

gruntguru

Thank-you and condolences Wazari-san.
Thank you Honda for your open-technology policy. Most corporations do not allow their staff to speak so freely.
je suis charlie

etusch

My condolences Wazari San