2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Maybe they slightly increased the drama, by letting him impact with half of the car to the pitwall. Pushing the car into a spin.

It could happened, but a meter left or right, it would be less dramatic.

etusch

e30ernest wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 17:08
Gosh that is horrible if it happened that way.
I watched the video without sound. I don't know they calculated it but car would be much more slower if it would go to the left side

ispano6

NL_Fer wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 18:51
I suspect Redbull has perfected something they were working on these last 2 years. Some clever way’s to guide more airflow to the rear wing. They ran a small rearwing in Frances but they weren’t far behind in downforce. May this technology was not mature in the past and caused Gasly and Albon’s struggles with they unstable rear.
The rear diffuser is much more efficient now thanks to the packaging and rear sidepod undercut and suspension. They likely don't have to run as much rear wing and can reduce drag that way.

Also Tanabe was mentioned to say this after France:
Honda F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe reckoned that while Red Bull was pushing with updates to improve the car, any engine gains were probably down to better energy management.

"On the team side we are introducing new parts so that we can evolve every race," he said. "The power unit is the same [specification] all the time, but we are learning better how to use energy management etc. for every race.

"We are looking at the characteristics of each circuit, and I think that such daily developments are connected to the current improvement."

Roostfactor

Sorry if this has already been posted here.

Maybe I'm totally off but I have noticed Checo and Max's relationship grow significantly so far. Yes, no?

If I were Checo I think I'd do the exact same as I think he is.

He knows he's #2 but needs to be right with Max.

If they get along well and it seems they do then both have alot to learn from each other. I think Checo is embedding himself well in his new home.

The reactions of both of them after races as the season has progressed seems to me like genuine happiness and/or good fortune for whichever one does better.
Flame me if you want but I think RB and all parties understand their place, drivers get along well with each other and the whole team AFAIK, super high moral.

All cylinders are firing at RB right now. It will be interesting how Merc responds in a pressure many of them have never experienced.

etusch

Roostfactor wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 06:14
Sorry if this has already been posted here.

Maybe I'm totally off but I have noticed Checo and Max's relationship grow significantly so far. Yes, no?

If I were Checo I think I'd do the exact same as I think he is.

He knows he's #2 but needs to be right with Max.

If they get along well and it seems they do then both have alot to learn from each other. I think Checo is embedding himself well in his new home.

The reactions of both of them after races as the season has progressed seems to me like genuine happiness and/or good fortune for whichever one does better.
Flame me if you want but I think RB and all parties understand their place, drivers get along well with each other and the whole team AFAIK, super high moral.

All cylinders are firing at RB right now. It will be interesting how Merc responds in a pressure many of them have never experienced.
I think he is clever person. I also think that he knows he is #2 ( and at least it is not because of not being son off boss) but even if he don't want to be like that he has to wait until he start to drive the car better than current #1.
In this race he should let Verstappen go without causing him any time loss even if he were #1. Because other driver is clearly faster and fighting for win.

Wouter

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-red-bul ... ugel-2021/

Before the two races in Spielberg, Red Bull wants to keep applying pressure, on and off the track. Especially with the flexible front wings from Mercedes, the challengers do not give up. Because it is believed that the front spoilers on the black silver arrows bend more than the regulations allow.

"We have made the FIA ​​aware that they should check that," says chief advisor Helmut Marko (78) to F1-Insider.com. Marko continues: “That is a completely normal procedure. If you are of the opinion that another team is straining the regulations too much and a gray area is going into the red, you have to clarify. We rely on the judgment of the FIA ​​and the measures that the world governing body then takes. If there is a clarification, we are satisfied. "

For the race in France, Red Bull had to strengthen its rear wing so that it can also pass the new, tougher tests of the FIA. Horner with satisfaction: “Accusations have been made. But we followed the rules and the way we reacted shows, in my opinion, that our performance is not based on the flexibility of the rear wing. "
His boss Marko speaks plainly: "Our victory in France has already proven that we had no competitive advantage."

What Red Bull is about: The rear wing stiffening cost more than half a million euros. Now the Austrians expect that Mercedes will also have to edit its front spoilers retrospectively and thus also free up a sum that was not planned in the budget. Nobody at Red Bull believes that this will make the Mercedes weaker. But it's about the principle.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

@Red Bull Racing Honda and @Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 drivers take on a new off-road challenge in a race across Austria to the Red Bull Ring ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix 🇦🇹 Armed with huge Pinzgauer's they race through the mountains, but it's not just about being the fastest, we set them several tests along the way so they can learn more about Austria...

The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

So cool. My Lederhosen is quite similar to Pierre's!

Juzh

Mode 6 is faster, but unsustainable. If you've got low battery It can make you slower with too much clipping, which is what I think happened. Verstappen used it on his outlap and was then running dry on battery. Mode 7 uses less energy overall and in more strategic places. For example, very little energy would be used in S3 with mode 7, compared to mode 6 which will be optimised for those outlaps and inlaps.
Mode 8 is even more agressive energy saving mode, for laps stuck in traffic, cruising or recharging for attacks later on. I'm yet to hear "mode 9" or "mode 5" being used during race. It's mainly all down to 6-7-8.

I know "mode 1" was used for fastest lap in hungary 2019 but that's probably a quali mode that requires prior lap to be seconds slower to top up ERS and then just dumps it all in 1 lap.
Alexf1 wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 11:55
wowgr8 wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 11:30
@Juzh
juzh wrote: we know (or at least think we know) Honda could use more power from this weekend onwards, was that obvious from the difference in the modes this weekend? I don't know what Red Bull's wording for the ICE mode is but did they go from using "strat 6" in qualifying and the race to using "strat 5" for example?
On lap 22 of the race a radio message was broadcasted where Max was told about gap to HAM and mode 7. HAM was in DRS so I guess mode 7 is a more agressive ERS setting than mode 6?

Wouter

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-red-bull-honda-upgrade-ei ght-years-in-the-making/

The Red Bull-Honda upgrade eight years in the making

Red Bull and AlphaTauri have benefitted from an ExxonMobil oil upgrade over the past two Formula 1 races, with the specification introducing new components first experimented with eight years ago.

These new materials include those normally used in the cosmetics industry, which have specifically been used to improve the protective properties of the synthetic oil.

ExxonMobil claims the new oil can run at higher temperatures, as well as creating less deposits. But confidence is high that this will lead to longer-term gains, with Red Bull and Honda yet to fully exploit the improvements given it has only used the oil for the events in Azerbaijan and France.

"These are the early steps in terms of establishing just how big a temperature we could push the oil to," said Red Bull chief engineer Paul Monaghan when asked by The Race about the gains.

"It's dependent not only on the work that ExxonMobil have done in the oil's ability to withstand high temperatures, its ability to then take it out of the engine and our ability to put it through a cooler, but it's also down to what the clever chaps in Honda can do with an engine that we have actually moved the temperature targets a little bit.

“Everything is not without consequence. We can lift the temperature of the engine but it doesn’t mean it’s going to run as we would want. So we have a range of cooling solutions on the car with bodywork, which is quite common practice and we have different exit configurations.

Motor Racing Formula One World Championship French Grand Prix Qualifying Day Paul Ricard, France

“We’re able to tune that not only for an ambient condition but from whatever ExxonMobil and Honda can allow us to have. Sometimes they might ask for a bit more cooling, if they ask for a little bit less then we’ll take it gladly close the bodywork up a little bit and run the generally hotter.

“We can split the system such that oil and water can be treated a little bit differently. I don’t think it’s possible to ever say that you’re going to treat one in isolation from the other because one typically will be seen in other fluids.

“Whether we are able to make greater steps through this season, we’re on the learning curve and the more we learn, the more we exploit it.

“It’s early stages yet, so it’s not visually a huge effect on the car yet.”

“There’s two ways in which we realise performance from the oil,” said Monaghan. “One, if it improves the engine reliability a little bit, then it makes it easier for us to preserve the three power units per year regulation.

“It also gives us the ability to be more free with the miles in its most performant mode and learn more about the car through a race weekend rather than having potentially a restriction.

“In terms of outright performance, if it ups the efficiency of the engine a little bit because we have less pumping losses through it and we bring the friction down a little bit then those are all small steps that simply contribute to an overall gain in the car’s performance.

“So those are the two prime routes to enhance our challenge for this season and forthcoming seasons.”

The Power of Dreams!

Ryar

One of the reasons, Red Bull managed to undercut Mercedes in France, was due to their faster pit stops. So FIA is bringing rules to slow down the pit stops. :lol: It was all fine until last race, even when Williams used to do similar lightening pit stops a couple of years back, but now it's a safety problem. Someone at Mercedes debrief must have told, if pit stop stationery time is increased to 3 seconds, they can avoid making similar mistakes in future. :lol:
Hakuna Matata!

Pyrone89

Ryar wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 19:55
One of the reasons, Red Bull managed to undercut Mercedes in France, was due to their faster pit stops. So FIA is bringing rules to slow down the pit stops. :lol: It was all fine until last race, even when Williams used to do similar lightening pit stops a couple of years back, but now it's a safety problem. Someone at Mercedes debrief must have told, if pit stop stationery time is increased to 3 seconds, they can avoid making similar mistakes in future. :lol:
Everything is apparently done by the FIA and Mercedes to get LewLew his 8th title. If not for a ridiculous overpowered car and favorable rules, then by in-season 'rule clarifications' aimed directly at the main competitor. Starting to get Ayrton Senna vs FOCA/FIA vibes all over again (for those persons saying the FIA would never do this).

PS: when was the last time Red Bull send out a car with 1 wheel not properly attached? When did this happen last anyway. Why suddenly is this a safety issue? Answer: it is not. Mercedes ('we welcome competition') pit crew are not good enough so Mercedes had to resort to these tactics.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

TimW

Pyrone89 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:41
Can't make this up. I am not finished writing and now I read this: https://www.planetf1.com/news/pirelli-new-2021-tyre/

Harder tyres, which we all know favor Mercedes, in-season.
Remains to be seen, could also mean they get even more problems with tire warm up. A stiffer carcass would be bad(less heat generation), a thicker carcass would be good(more great generation) I'd guess.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

JordanMugen

Ryar wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 19:55
The technical directive refers to rule 12.8.4 of the technical regulations, which reads, “Devices which are used to fit or remove wheel fasteners may only be powered by compressed air or nitrogen.

“Any sensor systems may only act passively.”

It stipulates that mechanics must react to each stage of the process in a time no sooner than 0.15s.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/06/25/re ... pit-stops/

They can't be serious... What a bizarre regulation.
:wtf: