Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sieper

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Well, they did ask for the part back (during FP) and these 3 races come quick and heavy after Max crashed a FW twice in Baku. So I think they simply don’t have more and Max get’s it. Either as it is better or suits him better. At least, consistent, not switching between wings all the time, making you have to adjust all the rest as well. That is valid for both drivers.

Austria is also a FW eater with those yellow kerbs. And they do that twice now in two weeks.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 16:42
Well, they did ask for the part back (during FP) and these 3 races come quick and heavy after Max crashed a FW twice in Baku. So I think they simply don’t have more and Max get’s it. Either as it is better or suits him better. At least, consistent, not switching between wings all the time, making you have to adjust all the rest as well. That is valid for both drivers.

Austria is also a FW eater with those yellow kerbs. And they do that twice now in two weeks.
And there is a cost cap too. A new wing is many thousands of pounds. Hardly surprising they wanted the bit back from the marshal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Pyrone89

Sieper wrote:

How do they even fix that? The piece was completely broken off. Surely glueing it on will not withstand the forces of F1?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

F1NAC

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 16:46
Sieper wrote:

And there is a cost cap too. A new wing is many thousands of pounds. Hardly surprising they wanted the bit back from the marshal.
My thinking is that Wheatley was just sarcastic with Massi.

They could easily 3D print it in the box

RZS10

Didn't they actually call a short VSC in order to retrieve that part?
If you look at all the car parts over the course of the season then it's quite normal to just cut out certain pieces in order to replace them with others, so they absolutely do have a way to bond those parts together.

Big Tea

Pyrone89 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 10:42
Sieper wrote:

How do they even fix that? The piece was completely broken off. Surely glueing it on will not withstand the forces of F1?
It means no one else can study it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TimW
TimW

Pyrone89 wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Perfectly possible to repair that. At a corner like where it broke, the strength is depending on the resin. If you repair with the same resin, maybe some overlaminate at the surface (grind away first a bit so it does not end up thicker), will give you similar strength.
The fact that it snapped of quite cleanly, without too much frayed fibers etc., indicates that it is quite easy to repair. On a section where the fibre strength is really used, the fracture will be much more explosive, and repair will be much more difficult.

Sieper

I watch all FPs. Just relaxation and I love it. To follow how the weekend develops. But they did show, I think during FP3 a guy walking with a repaired front wing in Max’ box. The new repaired part was faired in about halfway up into the existing side plate. You could easily see this as the upper part was still dark blue, white sponsor logo and then halfway down it was Black carbon. Also some (two I think) of the upper Louvres of the wing part itself were Black/replaced.

So I confirm they did exactly as TimW explained above.

Morteza

Spielberg

Via AMuS and @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

etusch

TimW wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 13:38
Pyrone89 wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Perfectly possible to repair that. At a corner like where it broke, the strength is depending on the resin. If you repair with the same resin, maybe some overlaminate at the surface (grind away first a bit so it does not end up thicker), will give you similar strength.
The fact that it snapped of quite cleanly, without too much frayed fibers etc., indicates that it is quite easy to repair. On a section where the fibre strength is really used, the fracture will be much more explosive, and repair will be much more difficult.
I've read an article about formula 1 composite tech. It was include interview with a composite supplier partner of formula 1 teams who was saying they work on both carbon fiber and resins to allow same or more strength with lesser layer. To achieve this you have to develop especially resin and its features. Reparing a carbon parts is very common and acceptable. There is always a possiblity to have failure somewhere of parts then need to be repaired. You can not send garbage such an expensive thing. Not only after breaking it during fp session but during production I believe they do repair jobs.

Morteza

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:On the RB16B, Red Bull has now extended the serrated trailing edge to the full lenght of the diffuser flap (not only in the corners). It seems to be made of carbon.

Scarbs wrote:Developments on Red Bull diffuser. The metal steak knife sections are now much wider, with a third serrated trailing edge added in the middle.
Last edited by Morteza on 25 Jun 2021, 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Capharol
Capharol

these are hidden chainsaws to scare off the opponents :D

Shandow
Shandow

Red Bull RB16B New Diffuser

epo
epo

Morteza wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:22
Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:On the RB16B, Red Bull has now extended the serrated trailing edge to the full lenght of the diffuser flap (not only in the corners). It seems to be made of carbon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E4qYJwsX0AU ... ame=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E4t8lhYWYAE ... ame=medium

Scarbs wrote:Developments on Red Bull diffuser. The metal steak knife sections are now much wider, with a third serrated trailing edge added in the middle.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E4qma9zWUAI ... name=large
They look pretty sharp, looks dangerous might be a ban incoming :D

Zynerji

TimW wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 13:38
Pyrone89 wrote:
Sieper wrote:

So, they are designed to be easily repaired? I never considered this, but it seems obvious in a cost cap environment.