2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: 2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Thanks for the detailed replies :D

Cuky

team Gresini has confirmed that they will switch from Aprilia to Ducati machinety for the next two years. They have also anounced their riders for next season: Enea Bastianini and Fabio Di Giannantonio

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/ ... ati/378934

NathanOlder

Well done Marc. Well earned.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Shrieker

Marc completes his epic comeback. Wonderful !
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

pierrre

greatest form of motor racing

Andres125sx

It had to be Sachsenring! =D> =D>

Great Marc is back, awesome. Oliveira is becoming a top rider, and KTM (2nd and 4th) is coming back too, I´m very glad for them

What a crazy championship... any bet about who will win the title? :mrgreen:

drc
drc

What a crazy championship... any bet about who will win the title?
No bets, but the fact that even bagnaia in 4th with no race wins, can successfully defend with solely 2nds against marc winning every single gp from now on this season, is to me a clear sign that the motogp scoring system doesn't value wins much.

etusch

I would choose Quartararo as champion. He is looking more consistant to me. I don't think MM found his form and honda has acceleration issues additionally it's front end instability

Andres125sx

drc wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 07:55
What a crazy championship... any bet about who will win the title?
No bets, but the fact that even bagnaia in 4th with no race wins, can successfully defend with solely 2nds against marc winning every single gp from now on this season, is to me a clear sign that the motogp scoring system doesn't value wins much.
MotoGP scoring system value victories more than any other, giving 38.9% more points to the winner than the second.

Do you know any other better than that?

Marquez has been out for too long, and the 3 crashes in a row after his return didn't help either. Too many GPs without scoring a single point, as simple as that

Cuky

Doesn't F1 have a bigger margin between first and second? 25-18 pts compared to 25-20 in MotoGP?

VR46 team have agreed on a 3 year deal to use Ducati machinery in MotoGP as well as 5 year deal with Dorna to compete in MotoGP. They will compete as Aramco Racing Team VR46 with current Moto2 team manager Pablo Nieto being promoted to lead the MotoGP team. Riders haven't been confirmed yet, but I guess Luca Marini will be one of them

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/ ... ati/380638

drc
drc

MotoGP scoring system value victories more than any other, giving 38.9% more points to the winner than the second.

There are many. That 38.9% is the f1, and many derivatives', format.
The moto (3,2 and gp) one has a 25% increase, 20 to 25 points.

To me, things are unbalanced when a racer scoring zero wins, outdoes another one who wins more than 63% of all the races (so that's including the 2 he was absent and the 3 he crashed in) the way in this bagnaia-márquez case.
Last edited by drc on 24 Jun 2021, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

drc wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 16:49

There are many. That 38.9% is the f1, and many derivatives', format.
The moto (3,2 and gp) one has a 25% increase, 20 to 25 points.

To me, things are unbalanced when a racer scoring zero wins, outdoes another one who wins more than 63% of all the races (so that's including the 2 he was absent and the 3 he crashed in) the way in this bagnaia-márquez case.
My bad, sorry for the mistake. But anycase it´s still valuing victories more than most series. You can´t ask for a scoring system where a driver/rider can miss a good percentage of the season and still fight for the title.

If you don´t like the 25-20 scoring for the winner-second, what if it was 10-9 like most series? This scoring system value victories more than most, but you can´t only value victories in a fight for the title, racing is more than going flat out from the beginning to the end even if that cost you several crashes. Mistakes must be taken into consideration and if you give even more advantage to the winner, then they won´t

drc
drc

My bad, sorry for the mistake.
No worries.
it´s still valuing victories more than most series.
Hmm, dunno bout that. Sure, series like nascar and supercars are worse in that respect, but I think they're in the minority by far.
You can´t ask for a scoring system where a driver/rider can miss a good percentage of the season and still fight for the title.
Agree, but in this case marc only missed 2 out of 19, still within margins IMO.
If you don´t like the 25-20 scoring for the winner-second, what if it was 10-9 like most series?
Then I'd like it even less :D But again, I don't think "most series" have this 10-9 in the first place. As a matter of fact, I don't know any.
you can´t only value victories in a fight for the title, (..) Mistakes must be taken into consideration and if you give even more advantage to the winner, then they won´t
Agree that not only race victories matter, and that mistakes must be punished in a balanced scoring system but IMO, the current system doesn't tip the scales in favour of the race winner, but actually to his disadvantage, relatively speaking.

To me, a DNF/16th place + 5*race win should (far) outdo 1*race win + 5*2nd, and not only after countback.

Cuky

The points are this way to prevent someone who starts the season well to dominate first half and secure the championship by the half way point (like used to happen in Schumacher days in F1). Other solution might be like F1 had where you take out few of riders worst results out of the count, but that still can be unfair (Senna won one championship even though Prost had more wins because results taken away from Prost were better than those taken away from Senna)

drc
drc

solution might be like F1 had where you take out few of riders worst results out of the count, but that still can be unfair (Senna won one championship even though Prost had more wins because results taken away from Prost were better than those taken away from Senna)
I don't think the outcome of that particular year was unfair actually. And it was SEN who was the one with the more race wins, 8 to 7. PRO scored more points, 105 vs 94, but only 87 of his counted towards the WDC, to 90 for SEN.

As for the first part of your reply, yes, in f1 they changed their 10-6 points system into a 10-8, because of MSC and FER. IMO, racing should be a 'meritocracy', instead of a format in which you artificially try to extend the fight for the championships by a mere 1 race. So what if the WDC gets sealed after race 11 out of 17, instead of the 12th. And 2 years later, with the then new points system, after race 14 (of 18), while with the old one it would've been race 13.
At least, that's me.