New race weekend format 2021

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Manoah2u

Re: New race weekend format 2021

I think it's all just totally unneccesary gimmicks.

We're changing into new car design, new wheel sizes and as such new tires.
let's sit that out and see what it brings.

If anything, 2020 showed that it's in big part due to the tracks. Tracks that F1 had not recently been racing at and have not been turned into bleak, grey tilkedomes proved to be exciting.
Tilke has turned F1 into scalectrix tracks, this is more killing than anything for the sport.

the new aero is meant to be able to follow cars better, which should improve overtaking. Then why implement new formats too?

First work out one thing, then see if you should concider with another.

One thing that would do more wonders in overtaking is making the cars shorter and narrowing the front wings and beefing up suspension a bit, perhaps make mandatory suspension rigidity.

F1's cars are so big that it's like finding a parking spaces with full size US trucks in tiny italian parking spots. You can only go so far in making the tracks bigger, they even went with runoff areas. The correct solution is making cars smaller and lighter again. That way, there is going to be JUST enough space to slip your car in between, instead of having to bail because there's no way.

With the front wings smaller, drivers also can take more 'risk' in getting a position. Right now, it's just too easy to touch your oppenent's tire and see them career off and yourself without important aero and as such lose out.

Also the fact F1 is nearly a spec series is killing the sport gradually. It's like those lanes in speedways where you have speed limits that are enforced by camera's from start to end.
Everybody will keep it right at the speed limit, but thanks to that, there is almost no difference in between and it's annoying to switch lanes or get from the outer lane to the inner lane to find the exit ramp and nobody is willing to budge.
the rules have put F1 cars in this similarity, where it's all the same and its a parade instead of a competition.

Now that budget cielings have been introduced, and a new design format, it's time to give back some stuff that has been taken and bring back 'variety'.

If anything, FIA should introduce a rule where all cars, just like they get mandatory crash testing, should be placed in a FIA windtunnel, where the WAKE of the car is measured.
If the turbulance of the car's Wake is above a certain point, the car does NOT get approved. If that is within acceptable margins,
then open up a bunch of rules to introduce freedom for teams to invent or implement 'gadgets' if you wish.
there's a budget cieling anyway, so it won't be unfair for small teams vs big teams.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

RZS10

Domenicali says they consider introducing a "grand slam" if they'll stick with the sprint race format

Extra points for a driver who could win quali, sprint and main race.

"It's an experiment that should make Fridays more interesting than Saturdays and Sundays, with free practice on the first day preparatory to a short race that will be held on Saturday."

Why should the friday be more interesting than the M A I N event?

"A [...] Formula 1 that t̶̶h̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶f̶̶f̶̶e̶̶r̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶o̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶o̶̶n̶̶t̶̶e̶̶n̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶o̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶e̶̶l̶̶e̶̶v̶̶i̶̶s̶̶i̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ makes everyone involved more money and that allows the organizers to s̶̶p̶̶r̶̶e̶̶a̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶t̶̶e̶̶r̶̶e̶̶s̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶v̶̶e̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶e̶̶v̶̶e̶̶r̶̶a̶̶l̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶a̶̶y̶̶s̶̶.̶̶ ̶ make more money"

Ah ok... obviously...

Image Image Image

El Scorchio

RZS10 wrote:
28 May 2021, 12:37
Domenicali says they consider introducing a "grand slam" if they'll stick with the sprint race format

Extra points for a driver who could win quali, sprint and main race.

"It's an experiment that should make Fridays more interesting than Saturdays and Sundays, with free practice on the first day preparatory to a short race that will be held on Saturday."

Why should the friday be more interesting than the M A I N event?

"A [...] Formula 1 that t̶̶h̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶f̶̶f̶̶e̶̶r̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶o̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶o̶̶n̶̶t̶̶e̶̶n̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶o̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶e̶̶l̶̶e̶̶v̶̶i̶̶s̶̶i̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ makes everyone involved more money and that allows the organizers to s̶̶p̶̶r̶̶e̶̶a̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶t̶̶e̶̶r̶̶e̶̶s̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶v̶̶e̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶e̶̶v̶̶e̶̶r̶̶a̶̶l̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶a̶̶y̶̶s̶̶.̶̶ ̶ make more money"

Ah ok... obviously...

https://i.imgur.com/e3G3xBK.png https://i.imgur.com/e3G3xBK.png https://i.imgur.com/e3G3xBK.png
Great. So in addition to the extra points for Saturday which are going to just exaggerate gaps in the WDC and WCC, another mechanism to do the same. So for example if a sprint weekend is held at a track which favours Mercedes and Hamilton does the grand slam with Bottas in second, Hamilton and Mercedes just get some extra free points. hardly going to mix up or make the championships closer, is it?

RZS10

Yes.

Also: Monaco ... if you have pole you are almost guaranteed a win in the sprint race (no pit stops) ... which gives you pole in the main race, which you will win.

Similar for other venues where overtaking is near impossible.

I thought F1 had reached it's height of stupidity with double points in the last race back then, turns out i was mistaken and the new owners have some high quality BS up their sleeves.

Mogster

So it seems there will still be FP2 on Saturday morning after qualifying and before the sprint race. Doesn’t that mean that for the first time since 2003 the drivers will be able to go into the race/races with a race setup. Gone will be the qualy/race compromise we’ve had since the Sunday warm up went away in 2003, back will be aggressive qualy set ups and proper race set ups. I actually like the sound of that.

Marty_Y

Didn't know which thread to post this in but it's relevant here I guess

siskue2005

Marty_Y wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 13:28

Good news, I have booked tickets this year. Will be sitting at Vale block 3. Hope it will be a good race

Marty_Y

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 01:07
Marty_Y wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 13:28

Good news, I have booked tickets this year. Will be sitting at Vale block 3. Hope it will be a good race
Very cool mate, have you got a ticket for the whole weekend?

It's the first sprint race isn't it, that should be a great weekend!

siskue2005

Just Saturday and sunday ... yeah the sprint race should be good

Wouter

Parc Fermé will be moved to Friday during the sprint race weekends. Another change during the season.
Translated from AMuS:

Problem with clutch in sprint qualification Aston threatens to cancel training
GP Great Britain

The sprint qualification debuts at the British Grand Prix in Silverstone. However, not all issues have been fully discussed.
Aston Martin, Alpine and McLaren fear a problem with their clutches. It goes so far that you may have to skip a training session.
Michael Schmidt
06/30/2021

Formula 1 celebrates a premiere at the GP England. It actually sounds very simple. One of the three free practice sessions will be replaced by a mini grand prix over 100 kilometers. In total, there are no longer terms. On the contrary. In an average free practice session on Friday, drivers cover between 120 and 170 kilometers.

And yet something changes from the perspective of the teams. The parc fermé is pushed forward by one day.
With the qualification on Friday the cars are no longer allowed to be touched. Exceptions are the brakes, spark plugs, filters and damaged parts.

But the clutch is not one of them.
And now three teams are worried about it. Aston Martin, Alpine and McLaren usually change or service their clutches after the two Friday practice sessions. This is no longer possible with the sprint race procedure.

Aston Martin team manager Andy Stevenson is annoyed: "These clutches were built for a different purpose. They need new washers and maintenance after 300 kilometers. If we had known what to expect before the season, we would have built different clutches. If we had have to drive with a clutch for a whole weekend without refreshing, we cannot guarantee that it will hold up. "
-------------------------
-------------------------
At the second Spielberg race there will now be another discussion with the FIA.
Stevenson threatens: "If the FIA ​​does not give in, we may have to skip a training session. That cannot be in the spirit of the inventor."

The whole German article.
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

Honestly sprint race weekends sounds bad. More cost and risk involved. What if your car suffers terminal damage during a Saturday and you can't even race on Sunday? Imagine an incident like Leclerc and Gasly happening on Saturday. AT would need to make expensive repairs and might not even be able to by the race. Doesn't sound worth it for a few measly points.

notsofast

The teams are already doing race simulations in FP2. We could just leverage that instead of this sprint race concept. Let the 10 cars with the fastest five consecutive laps in FP2 be excused from Q1. That would give a nice incentive to the midfield teams to put on a show on Fridays.

RZS10

Sprint is here to stay, unfortunately.
Stefano Domenicali exclusive: F1 boss on 2022 and plans for Sprint to fill 'one third' of calendar
According to Domenicali, the success of those three-day weekends has led to F1 planning to use the format much more in 2022, possibly at seven or eight rounds.

"We said at the beginning of the year there would be three tests this year to make sure we have the right plan for the future, the vast majority of the comments we received were super positive. Promoters are super happy because there is something new and important on Friday and Saturday and Sunday.

We are receiving this positive feedback therefore we need to know next year we have a great plan where we will consider also the points highlighted by people who did not like this format. Generally speaking it has been an incredible success.

I can say we will not go everywhere with the Sprint qualy format. It is something we want to keep for one third of the races more or less and to connect with a certain different way of giving rewards and points and to connect with specific circuits that as you know would make the difference.

So there is a lot of food for thought. We will involve all the stakeholders: broadcasters, drivers, teams, promoters and fans. We won't forget our role is to take the right decision and to consider all the points and points of view of everyone."
Last edited by RZS10 on 04 Oct 2021, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

Ugh. Horrible decision. All made with money in mind over everything else.

nzjrs

Argh! God damn it!