2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Sadly this was going to be a very tricky track for Daniel, if indeed his issue is turning in under breaking. This track has quite a few key corners where you need to brake and steer the car in to get a good line and exit, Paul Ricard flattered where he is with the car right now.

But I still do have faith that he will get it, but I also think it will still be some time yet, but I hope he proves me wrong!

Lando once again shows that he likes this track.

Rain will finally arrive tomorrow, so there is plenty of chance for DR to make up the time. Given that you have to be more cautious with your exits and your braking in the rain, I hope he is actually able to maximise the pace in the conditions. It looks like it is going to be a great race, I'm annoyed I can't watch it
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

MrHopsing

I wonder if sprint qualifying will be better for Ricciardo, then he can make up the lost places during the qualifying and be in a better position for the race start.

sp8472
sp8472

Daniel will get better. He has proven himself many times against some of the best drivers there are in a range of different cars. It would be great if he was at least as fast as Lando right out of the box…..but then we would be asking what was wrong with Lando!

It’s hard to be patient in F1. Everyone wants results immediately. But these are actually people, not robots. Remember we are comparing Daniel against Lando in a car that everyone, including Lando and Carlos, say is fast but difficult to drive. Lando has been in that car 3 years now. It’s the only F1 car he has driven. Every muscle twitch he has has developed along with the development of the Mclaren alone. He has learnt to drive fast using the unique characteristics of that car alone. He should be in perfect sync with it by now. From the start of last year Mclaren knew Carlos was leaving. They would have developed down a ‘Lando’ pathway. This car is like Lando’s first girlfriend.

Just wait till the end of the season to judge and see where Daniel is. Better yet wait until next year when he has had input into a new car and he does not have to drive Lando’s girlfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando and Daniel’s Qualifying plot… Lando brakes later and carries more speed than Daniel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicane
Chicane

Watch this video on youtube.

Lando has higher entry speed and higher minimum speed in high speed corners.

In turn 3, Lando brakes later and harder but comes off the brakes earlier and earlier to pickup the throttle. Also he is faster to go from zero to hundred percent throttle at exit. Result he is 9kph faster already at the DRS line. Ricciardo's technique of riding the brakes too deep in to the corner is costing him time at exit.
Quickshifter

Mclarensenna

sp8472 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 02:18
Daniel will get better. He has proven himself many times against some of the best drivers there are in a range of different cars. It would be great if he was at least as fast as Lando right out of the box…..but then we would be asking what was wrong with Lando!

It’s hard to be patient in F1. Everyone wants results immediately. But these are actually people, not robots. Remember we are comparing Daniel against Lando in a car that everyone, including Lando and Carlos, say is fast but difficult to drive. Lando has been in that car 3 years now. It’s the only F1 car he has driven. Every muscle twitch he has has developed along with the development of the Mclaren alone. He has learnt to drive fast using the unique characteristics of that car alone. He should be in perfect sync with it by now. From the start of last year Mclaren knew Carlos was leaving. They would have developed down a ‘Lando’ pathway. This car is like Lando’s first girlfriend.

Just wait till the end of the season to judge and see where Daniel is. Better yet wait until next year when he has had input into a new car and he does not have to drive Lando’s girlfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. People seem to forget that Ric beat both Sainz and Lando last year with IMHO an "inferior" Renault car compared to the Mclaren. Mclaren is a very difficult and even strange car to drive according to Sainz to just jump in and get the maximum out of it as Ric has had zero feedback or input into its design. This years car was designed using Landos feedback/input before Ric arrived and drove it this year.
And with a budget cap and focus on next year there is hardly anything Mclaren can do to change that now so Ric will most likely unfortunately struggle all year.

Just like Ric struggled and was very inconsistent in 2019 with a Renault that was also not designed with any of his input/feedback.
But we saw from race 1 in 2020 Ric was on it and probably the best most consistent driver of 2020 after the Renault was actually designed with Rics input/feedback.
Ric's 2019 season I wold rate maybe a 6.5, but then his 2020 season i would rate it a solid 9.
Night and day and it just goes to show that input/feedback into the design of a car plays a massive role.

We will see the same from Ric in 2022 i believe with a Mclaren designed with his input/feedback in mind and Ric will come out of the box very fast from day 1.

JordanMugen

Mclarensenna wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 08:34
We will see the same from Ric in 2022 i believe with a Mclaren designed with his input/feedback in mind and Ric will come out of the box very fast from day 1.
But Norris is McLaren's lead driver. Why should McLaren do that for, if it would divert attention away from the lead driver?

Marc.W

Chicane wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 05:53

In turn 3, Lando brakes later and harder but comes off the brakes earlier and earlier to pickup the throttle. Also he is faster to go from zero to hundred percent throttle at exit. Result he is 9kph faster already at the DRS line. Ricciardo's technique of riding the brakes too deep in to the corner is costing him time at exit.
Streamable link since FOM got the YT vid removed

chrisgr
chrisgr

If we accept that Mclaren had this strange characteristic 3 or 4 years now how was it that Sainz could get very good results in 2019 after 3-4 races? I mean most of the times, the fault its on both sides. I dont believe the car has changed so much this year. We spend the tokens to fit the new engine so it wasnt possible to use someone's feedback to design a car that suits him. It is just an incompatibility of the MP35M and Ricciardo's driving style. Maybe they should have predicted this. Or they did but they expected RIC to adjust more easily.

JordanMugen

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:13
NOR is just so much more aggressive in the high speed stuff. Later breaking, higher cornering speed, throwing the car in. Confidence it will do what he demands and on throttle again. RIC just looks hesitant/apprehensive there. the tenth lost in the first 1/3rd of the lap then just increases by 0.5sec in s2-s3. S3 is especially revealing.
In other words, Ricciardo is driving like Albon? :?:

Mclarensenna

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 08:44
Mclarensenna wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 08:34
But Norris is McLaren's lead driver. Why should McLaren do that for, if it would divert attention away from the lead driver?
You have completely misunderstood my entire post it seems. The 2021 Mclaren is designed with 0% input/feedback from Ric. ZERO!
The 2022 mclaren will be designed with Ric's feedback/input in mind.

That does not mean it will be 100% designed on Rics input/feedback and 0 % Landos.
Nor will it be designed with 100% of just Norris feedback.
Mclaren has repeatedly stated they treat both drivers the same so based on that is ti safe to assume the 2022 Mclaren will be designed with Norris's feedback/input but also Ric's for the first time.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 05:31
Lando and Daniel’s Qualifying plot… Lando brakes later and carries more speed than Daniel

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... c3c7f0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thats a really good post, thanks.

Look at the last corner, the breaking and accelerating is so abrupt through the corner. And its not a one off, you see at the very start of the lap he is already slower on the straight on a similar gap to Lando as when he crosses the line.

That corner is a fast flowing corner, you carry speed through having let go of the brakes well before the apex. He has breaked right in to the mid point of the corner and the accelerated out.

Thats very strange.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mclarensenna

chrisgr wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 08:51
If we accept that Mclaren had this strange characteristic 3 or 4 years now how was it that Sainz could get very good results in 2019 after 3-4 races? I mean most of the times, the fault its on both sides. I dont believe the car has changed so much this year. We spend the tokens to fit the new engine so it wasnt possible to use someone's feedback to design a car that suits him. It is just an incompatibility of the MP35M and Ricciardo's driving style. Maybe they should have predicted this. Or they did but they expected RIC to adjust more easily.
The Renault also had strange driving characteristics which according to Hulk where there for years since he 1st joined. Sainz even drove the 2017 Renault for the last 4 races and gave feedback/input on the 2018 design but still could not beat Hulk all of 2018.

Did Mclaren worry or predict this back then after seeing Sainz struggle at Renault?

if i had to guess Sainz struggled from race 1 at Mclaren the same as he did when he joined Renault and Hulk dominated him, but because Norris was completely new to F1, it made it look like Sainz did not struggle initially like he did with Hulk at Renault.

If Sainz had joined Mclaren with Alonso still there (who is much faster than Hulk) then Sainz career i believe would have been over as Alonso would have demolished him in 2019 by a much bigger margin than Hulk did in 2018 at Renault. It would have been a carrer ending Vandoorne thrashing.

If Ric joined Mclaren in 2019 instead of Renault it would have been a completely different story with Norris as a rookie team mate from race 1.

Ric also complained of the driving characteristics of the 2019 Renault but managed to beat Hulk something Sainz was not able to do.
The 2020 Renault was designed with Rics input in mind and Ric was probably the best, most consistent driver of 2020.
Why else did Ric improve so much at Renault in 2020 as opposed to his 2019 season.
Input/feedback mainly and time to adjust.
What else could explain Rics massively improved 2020 Renault form?

Juzh

Marc.W wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 08:50
Chicane wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 05:53

Streamable link since FOM got the YT vid removed

It's not removed, you just have to watch it in youtube, not in embedded video player. Most f1 clips are like this.

ispano6

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 08:54
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:13
NOR is just so much more aggressive in the high speed stuff. Later breaking, higher cornering speed, throwing the car in. Confidence it will do what he demands and on throttle again. RIC just looks hesitant/apprehensive there. the tenth lost in the first 1/3rd of the lap then just increases by 0.5sec in s2-s3. S3 is especially revealing.
In other words, Ricciardo is driving like Albon? :?:
Lando and Ricciardo have a bit of a rivalry between each other unlike the bromance between Sainz. Lando probably isn't as open to Ricciardo as say Albon was to Perez in getting him up to speed. That's the vibe I get from those two.