2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

Shrieker wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:36
Mercedes and Hamilton are gonna rue all those points lost with cheap mistakes by the looks of it.
Yip, its not wins that make you champion, its points, where ever they come from
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Spacepace

siskue2005 wrote:
Spacepace wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:29
Wolff and Hamilton trying to get under the skin of Verstappen fans by making those statements there is no doubt about it
True, but these kind off gamesmanship has been seen ever since the dawn of motorsports; Senna would say similar things about the williams when he was in the Mclaren; and when he switched to Williams he was saying similar things about the Benetton etc etc.
Only now the problem is the online cancel culture who are letting them fall into the trap...moslty coz of the demographics and the anonymity of online media
My comment was meant as a joke. I said "under the skin of Verstappen fans". Meaning I think the comments are meant to get under the skin of Verstappen but it only does with his fans.

I also do think they're saying it in little part to save face in the face of defeat

siskue2005

Spacepace wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:40
siskue2005 wrote:
Spacepace wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:29
Wolff and Hamilton trying to get under the skin of Verstappen fans by making those statements there is no doubt about it
True, but these kind off gamesmanship has been seen ever since the dawn of motorsports; Senna would say similar things about the williams when he was in the Mclaren; and when he switched to Williams he was saying similar things about the Benetton etc etc.
Only now the problem is the online cancel culture who are letting them fall into the trap...moslty coz of the demographics and the anonymity of online media
My comment was meant as a joke. I said "under the skin of Verstappen fans". Meaning I think the comments are meant to get under the skin of Verstappen but it only does with his fans.

I also do think they're saying it in little part to save face in the face of defeat
It does get into Max and Redbulls head...look at Max getting worked up by a small incident in FP3. Look at all the Horner's press comments.. its getting to everyone.

siskue2005

Shrieker wrote:
Mercedes and Hamilton are gonna rue all those points lost with cheap mistakes by the looks of it.
After today's race and the level of performance of the red bull car, there is no point in looking back coz that wouldnt help them any more.

LHamilton
LHamilton

I don't think you can say that Red Bull is a much more dominant overall. It will change from track to track. In THIS race it looked like Red Bull had a slightly faster car though. I wouldn't call it dominant. Maybe 0,2s with apparently better tyre deg which increases that margin as the race goes on. That perhaps makes this race look worse than previous races has shown. Previously Mercedes had better deg, and it might just be that next weekend depending on what they learn.

But one would think that if Perez is as good as people say, and with a slightly car advantage THIS race, he would be ahead of Bottas and in that gap between Verstappen and Hamilton. That being said, it felt like Perez strategy was a little bit here-nor-there. Didn't go for a one stopper and didn't really optimize a two stopper. Red Bull should perhaps scratch their heads on that one.

Good recovery drive from Leclerc and good points from Ferrari. Sainz had a good, quite race.

Vettel was a bit underwhelming I must say. Would've hoped him getting on top of Stroll at this point. Even though I don't really rate Stroll to highly, he is such a coinflip in terms of speed. Sometimes he can show decent speed and sometimes he is nowhere. Quite funny that Stroll has 5 points finishes this season and Vettel 3. Yet, Vettel has more than double Stroll's points. 30 vs 14. Goes to show how much you can gain if you get an "extraordinary" race (Vettel in Baku) or DNFs. Same with Bottas and Perez. Bottas now has 4 podiums, but is still behind Perez with his two podiums, one being a win.

Norris is certainly on form. Very impressive run thus far. Really has that McLaren sorted. I had to remind me last year that it was Norris' second season in F1. Thought he had been here for much longer. Perhaps because 2020 felt longer than usual. Will be interesting to see how he goes on in his career. In terms of what's happening with Ricciardo. Damn. Don't think anyone expected him to struggle this much. But he has got quite a bit of legetimacy within F1, so you can't rule him out from returning to form. In the same way that you couldn't really do that to 4 time World Champion Vettel.

On to the next.

siskue2005

LHamilton wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:51
I don't think you can say that Red Bull is a much more dominant overall. It will change from track to track. In THIS race it looked like Red Bull had a slightly faster car though. I wouldn't call it dominant. Maybe 0,2s with apparently better tyre deg which increases that margin as the race goes on. That perhaps makes this race look worse than previous races has shown. Previously Mercedes had better deg, and it might just be that next weekend depending on what they learn.
The largest margin of victory ever in the A1 ring was 13 seconds by Lewis last year
Lewis was 18.9 sec away from Max when he pit for fastest lap

Sieper

And Russell, can’t catch a break. Now he had one with the Yuki penalty going from 10 to 9 start and still on new yellows. Was capitalizing on it. Technical issues. Poof it is gone.

Wouter

He did it again !! =D> =D> =D>

The Power of Dreams!

Shrieker

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:45
Shrieker wrote:
After today's race and the level of performance of the red bull car, there is no point in looking back coz that wouldnt help them any more.
I beg to differ. Last race was tight. This track, Red Bull were miles ahead, but there are going to be a lot of tight races, and those points dropped may hurt a lot come the end of the year.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Big Tea

I think Gasly would have been in with a shout at a podium today if things had gone his way, but....
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

LEC finds a way yet again to escape any sort of punishment; he never seems to get punished for these mistakes.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

lh13
lh13

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:59
LHamilton wrote:
The largest margin of victory ever in the A1 ring was 13 seconds by Lewis last year
Yeah 13 seconds, to his own teammate. Check the first post of this thread. Lewis was 33 seconds ahead of Max.

You can call RB dominant if/when Max wins the championship with 4-5 races to spare.
Last edited by lh13 on 27 Jun 2021, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:12
I think Gasly would have been in with a shout at a podium today if things had gone his way, but....
Terrible luck for him. If Carlsberg DIDN’T do first laps….

Likewise Russell could have grabbed a point or two in a Williams. What an achievement that would have been in a race with so few retirements.

ringo

The race was not really boring.
The midfield fights were good.
Alonso's pace, Yuki's pace. quite good. I would rate Sainz higher than leclerc for this race.

Perez had the pace on Bottas this race. His slow pitstop hurt his chances.

At the front i dont know why Norris let bottas and perez past. Anyone knew what happened therr?

At the front it was as predicted 0.2s per lap. And on this short track that's a lot. The gap was also not dependent on tyre status. Max even was able to control the pace and hold it at 5 to 8 seconds for most of the race. if he wanted to he could have gone as much as 0.3s a lap relentlessly without pushing hard.
And whoever said max is 0.2s a lap faster than lewis that makes no sense. lol. Lewis was not limited his ability today.. The car just couldnt give any more performance. on the other hand
Max didnt use all of his ability. The car was well inside its capabilities.
Perez also.. he only pushed after the pitstop and we saw how he closed the gap down to 1.4seconds to bottas.

DOMINANCE!!! :lol: its not huge like back in the 2014 kraken days or the vettel rb days. But its enough to see Max comfortably through to the end.
The interesting this is what can Merc do and will reliability come back to Haunt Max and Honda?
For Sure!!

siskue2005

lh13 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:28
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:59
LHamilton wrote:
Yeah 13 seconds, to his own teammate. Check the first post of this thread. Lewis was 33 seconds ahead of Max.

You can call RB dominant if/when Max wins the championship with 4-5 races to spare.
So now the definition changes according to the agenda, ok got it =D>
Last edited by siskue2005 on 27 Jun 2021, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.