Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes W12

Are those new screws there? :(
Least it's something.

Jokes aside where do you guys think will be the next upgrade?

I hope it will be the floor.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2021, 19:51
Least it's something.

I don't think there's going to be one, I think they're just throwing the season away!
197 104 103 7

MtthsMlw

According to AMuS only small things coming before the summer break, things that have been in the pipeline for weeks. No further development though.

mclaren113
mclaren113

MtthsMlw wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2021, 22:15
According to AMuS only small things coming before the summer break, things that have been in the pipeline for weeks. No further development though.
15 races to go. Anything can happen. Fingers crossed for a faster car

F1Krof

dans79 wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2021, 20:34
PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2021, 19:51
Least it's something.

I don't think there's going to be one, I think they're just throwing the season away!
Agree. Unless we consider scenario no.2 when Pirelli brings the new tyres:
1. Same for Merc - Same for RBR
2. Suit Merc - Hurt RBR
3. Hurt Merc - Suit RBR

On the topic of where did they spent the tokens, I believe I cracked it. The reason why they're not telling is because they are terribly embarrassed. Remember last year they dropped development for 21 the earliest of all teams. They must have had something very good, they developed it and went too far when they realized that a little too late that whatever it is they were developing had some flaw that fundamentally made things worse... so they reverted on the job to salvage whatever they could and just patched W11!

And here we are, the proof is in the pudding.
Wroom wroom

dans79

F1Krof wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2021, 22:27
On the topic of where did they spent the tokens, I believe I cracked it. The reason why they're not telling is because they are terribly embarrassed. Remember last year they dropped development for 21 the earliest of all teams. They must have had something very good, they developed it and went too far when they realized that a little too late that whatever it is they were developing had some flaw that fundamentally made things worse... so they reverted on the job to salvage whatever they could and just patched W11!

And here we are, the proof is in the pudding.
I disagree with that.

I'm more willing to bet that the last minute tire change that they were told wasn't going to happen is what really hurt them.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

Didn't they test these tyres ini 2020 and the tyre sidewalls are more stable so it should actually be more forgiving on the aero.. So must be something else if thats the case.

I know I have been saying it's for the floor but's if the theory is right that they screwed up a few developments.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

Zynerji

Perhaps they didn't spend any tokens? James Allison said "It would become clear over time..." concerning their token spend.. Well, no development at ALL confirmed by Toto today, so maybe they really did nothing that cost tokens for 2021!

djones
djones

Is there any way tokens could be used towards next year, or is it a case of 'use them or lose them'?

Zynerji

djones wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2021, 16:18
Is there any way tokens could be used towards next year, or is it a case of 'use them or lose them'?
I expect it would be use-or-lose.

Merc had the run on everyone in 2014 due to early development timeframes. I'm sure they wanted to do it again, even at the cost of losing this year.

TimW
TimW

Wolf stating that they stopped development is a bit suspicious though.

If you really stopped developing and sacrifice this year to be on top next year, then you want your opponent to waste all their resources on this year (and compromise next year). So if this was the case, I would pretend I am still actively developing, announce an update for Spa, even try out fake new components in practice sessions to keep up appearances.

If you are still developing, you want your opponent to stop so you have an advantage later in the season. So you tell the media there will be no further updates, hope your opponent stops developing and bring a major package in a few races from now.

But probably the planning, and when the resources are shifted, is already fixed and not affected by what happens day to day.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Or you tell them they stopped so they switch their development to 2022 as well and give you a chance of them not running away with it this year.... :wink:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

TimW wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2021, 17:01

If you really stopped developing and sacrifice this year to be on top next year, then you want your opponent to waste all their resources on this year (and compromise next year). So if this was the case, I would pretend I am still actively developing, announce an update for Spa, even try out fake new components in practice sessions to keep up appearances.

If you are still developing, you want your opponent to stop so you have an advantage later in the season. So you tell the media there will be no further updates, hope your opponent stops developing and bring a major package in a few races from now.

But probably the planning, and when the resources are shifted, is already fixed and not affected by what happens day to day.
Or you want everyone to know that the reason you're being beaten is that you're basically running last year's car. "We aren't developing this car which is why we're getting beaten" is better than "we're getting beaten but hoping that something on the horizon might help". I doubt Red Bull would fall for the old "we've got a huge upgrade coming in X races time" gambit.

I think the reason they aren't doing anything with this car is that they know it's pointless. I bet they tried some stuff in CFD / wind tunnel and found that they couldn't overcome the losses from the new floor/diffuser/brake duct rules to any meaningful extent. The car's concept is, in effect, fully developed. Trying to find a 1/10th is perhaps going to be so expensive that it's not worth doing.

In that situation, not trying to do anything is the correct call when faced with a major rule change in a few months.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2021, 17:52
TimW wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2021, 17:01

Or you want everyone to know that the reason you're being beaten is that you're basically running last year's car. "We aren't developing this car which is why we're getting beaten" is better than "we're getting beaten but hoping that something on the horizon might help". I doubt Red Bull would fall for the old "we've got a huge upgrade coming in X races time" gambit.

I think the reason they aren't doing anything with this car is that they know it's pointless. I bet they tried some stuff in CFD / wind tunnel and found that they couldn't overcome the losses from the new floor/diffuser/brake duct rules to any meaningful extent. The car's concept is, in effect, fully developed. Trying to find a 1/10th is perhaps going to be so expensive that it's not worth doing.

In that situation, not trying to do anything is the correct call when faced with a major rule change in a few months.
100% this

Big Tea

Had RBR not brought in Checo or an equivalent for the second car, the gap at the top of the table would be much closer. I believe this is the variable Merc had not accounted for (along with the tyre pressure rise)

Edit, I mean assuming they would still be capable of fighting for for title with the lack of further development
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.