Ferrari 296 GTB

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Morteza

Ferrari 296 GTB

818-HP Ferrari 296GTB Revealed, Bringing a V-6 Hybrid Powertrain into the Lineup

POWERTRAIN
The 296 GTB is the first Ferrari road car to sport a V6 turbo with a vee with an angle of 120° between the cylinder banks, coupled with a plug-in electric motor. This new V6 has been designed and engineered from a clean sheet by Ferrari's engineers specifically for this installation and is the first Ferrari to feature the turbos installed inside the vee. Aside from bringing significant advantages in terms of packaging, lowering the centre of gravity and reducing engine mass, this particular architecture helps deliver extremely high levels of power. The result is that the new Ferrari V6 has set a new specific power output record for a production car of 221 cv/l.

As the V6 turbo is integrated with an electric motor at the rear, the Ferrari 296 GTB's combined maximum power output is 830 cv, putting it at the top of the rear-wheel-drive sports car segment as well as making it extremely flexible. This is true both in terms of day-to-day contexts (the 296 GTB has a full-electric mode range of 25 km), and in driving enjoyment (accelerator pedal response is instant and smooth at all engine speeds).

The powertrain assembly comprises a V6 turbo ICE, with the 8-speed DCT and E-Diff, and the MGU-K located between the engine and the gearbox. A clutch is set between the ICE and the electric motor to decouple them in electric-only eDrive mode. Lastly there is a high-voltage battery and the inverter which controls the electric motors.

INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE
Thanks to its 663 cv and 221 cv/l, the 296 GTB's ICE sets the new specific power output record for a production road car. Central to achieving this result was the introduction of the 120° vee configuration with equally-spaced firings as well as the positioning of the turbos inside the vee which produces a much more compact engine and optimally distributed masses.

The architecture is also ideal in terms of combustion sequence and the integration of the intake plenums and the engine supports on the intake sides of the cylinder heads. The engine is thus lighter and more compact because of the elimination of the plenums and exterior supports, while the fluid-dynamics benefit from the reduction in volumes, boosting intake efficiency. The 120° vee architecture, which offers more space between the cylinder banks than a 90° vee, meant the turbos could be installed centrally, thus significantly reducing the unit's overall size and the distance the air has to cover to arrive in the combustion chamber, maximising the fluid dynamics and efficiency of the intake and exhaust line ducts.

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NL_Fer

Re: Ferrari 296 GTB

Are the intake manifolds also inside the vee?

Just_a_fan

Morteza wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 06:41

I like it. A bit of a "same thing modified" approach as it shows the line back through the recent "small" Ferraris.

But in the side profile I see flashes of both the Lancia Stratos (I think it's the shape of the side window and the wedge shape combining somehow in my mind's eye) and the Ford GT (the shape of the rear arches and the deck/tail in this image)

I know, I know - I need to get out more! :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cold Fussion

The rear 3/4 quarter view kind of looks like the new stratos merged with a F8.

Holm86

NL_Fer wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 06:48
No, the intake manifolds are on the ouside of the vee

Pat Pending

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 08:27
Morteza wrote:

I like it. A bit of a "same thing modified" approach as it shows the line back through the recent "small" Ferraris.

But in the side profile I see flashes of both the Lancia Stratos (I think it's the shape of the side window and the wedge shape combining somehow in my mind's eye) and the Ford GT (the shape of the rear arches and the deck/tail in this image)

I believe from reading other bits about it that the rear haunches are supposed to be 'suggestive' of the 250LM, which if you squint a bit I can kind of see

Just_a_fan

Pat Pending wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 15:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 08:27
Morteza wrote:

I believe from reading other bits about it that the rear haunches are supposed to be 'suggestive' of the 250LM, which if you squint a bit I can kind of see
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAD
I can see why the 250LM comes to mind too. Similar era of car with similar styling cues.

NL_Fer

Holm86 wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 10:24
NL_Fer wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 06:48
No, the intake manifolds are on the ouside of the vee
Ofcourse, now I realize the boosted air still has to go through the intercoolers. No reason the put the intake manifolds close to the Turbo

Jolle

Interesting there within the FIAT group there are two new turbo V6’s.

When I first heard of this beast, I was like: oh, must be the MC20 engine. But.. that’s a 3.0 90 degree V6 with a cold V. This is a 2.9 120 degree hot V6…

Feels a bit like a waste of resources

Singabule

Jolle wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 21:51

When I first heard of this beast, I was like: oh, must be the MC20 engine. But.. that’s a 3.0 90 degree V6 with a cold V. This is a 2.9 120 degree hot V6…

MC 20 engine is too expensive to produce, with minimal gain, complexity, and maintenance disaster. I think good call to use 120 degrees engine that could give old turbo era vibe, with minimum technology applied. Horsepower it's easy to achieve and not holy grail in this era, so yeah basically just another cost saving measurement. I believe soon MC20 engine production will be stopped.

Xwang

Singabule wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 00:19
Jolle wrote:

MC 20 engine is too expensive to produce, with minimal gain, complexity, and maintenance disaster. I think good call to use 120 degrees engine that could give old turbo era vibe, with minimum technology applied. Horsepower it's easy to achieve and not holy grail in this era, so yeah basically just another cost saving measurement. I believe soon MC20 engine production will be stopped.
Ferrari S.p.A. (/fəˈrɑːri/; Italian: [ferˈraːri]) is an Italian luxury sports car manufacturer based in Maranello, Italy. Founded by Enzo Ferrari in 1939 out of the Alfa Romeo race division as Auto Avio Costruzioni, the company built its first car in 1940, and produced its first Ferrari-badged car in 1947.

Fiat S.p.A. acquired 50% of Ferrari in 1969 and expanded its stake to 90% in 1988.[4] In October 2014, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) announced its intentions to separate Ferrari S.p.A. from FCA; as of the announcement FCA owned 90% of Ferrari.[5][6][7] The separation began in October 2015 with a restructuring that established Ferrari N.V. (a company incorporated in the Netherlands) as the new holding company of the Ferrari S.p.A. group,[8] and the subsequent sale by FCA of 10% of the shares in an IPO and concurrent listing of common shares on the New York Stock Exchange.[9] Through the remaining steps of the separation, FCA's interest in Ferrari's business was distributed to shareholders of FCA, with 10% continuing to be owned by Piero Ferrari.[10] The spin-off was completed on 3 January 2016.[9]
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari)

Ferrari has not been part of FCA since January 3, 2016 .

Jolle

Xwang wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 00:24
Singabule wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 00:19
Jolle wrote:

Ferrari S.p.A. (/fəˈrɑːri/; Italian: [ferˈraːri]) is an Italian luxury sports car manufacturer based in Maranello, Italy. Founded by Enzo Ferrari in 1939 out of the Alfa Romeo race division as Auto Avio Costruzioni, the company built its first car in 1940, and produced its first Ferrari-badged car in 1947.

Fiat S.p.A. acquired 50% of Ferrari in 1969 and expanded its stake to 90% in 1988.[4] In October 2014, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) announced its intentions to separate Ferrari S.p.A. from FCA; as of the announcement FCA owned 90% of Ferrari.[5][6][7] The separation began in October 2015 with a restructuring that established Ferrari N.V. (a company incorporated in the Netherlands) as the new holding company of the Ferrari S.p.A. group,[8] and the subsequent sale by FCA of 10% of the shares in an IPO and concurrent listing of common shares on the New York Stock Exchange.[9] Through the remaining steps of the separation, FCA's interest in Ferrari's business was distributed to shareholders of FCA, with 10% continuing to be owned by Piero Ferrari.[10] The spin-off was completed on 3 January 2016.[9]
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari)

Ferrari has not been part of FCA since January 3, 2016 .
Indeed. But, they put another company above that, to free some cash to sell Ferrari stock and keep Ferrari out of the PSA deal. (Exor N.V.)
They stil share the same board. Executives etc.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan

A video review of the 296 GTB. I think it's a nicely balanced review with good and less good points discussed. Nice conclusion too.

vorticism

I wonder how it will fare at ECOTY. Last year the other current hybrid Ferrari the SF90 was scored near last behind the M5 CS, a GT3, an M3, and a Huracan. It had EV sort of complaints. They said it was, of course, quick in a straight line, quickest car there, and looks amazing, but other than that it was too electronic/synthetic/contrived. Like a Tesla, perhaps a one trick pony for the car enthusiast. By the time everyone gets their EVs and spreadsheet numbers, they'll have realized those numbers aren't what made good cars good. James May quote: "Cars aren't spreadsheets."

𓄀