2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

ispano6 wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 04:48

Max probably backed off Hamilton to prolong the life of the tires and saved them for when he needed them - the lap that Bottas tried to undercut him and failed. Max pitting after Bottas was said to be to cover the stop. Perez showed that preserving the tires for a later stop and having fresher tires allowed him to have a faster pace across the entire race. If Perez had been pitted just one lap earlier in Spielberg he would have been able to get Bottas. This year is one that is really defined by how timely the change to the right tire is and how much to push at what part of the stint.
Yep.
For Sure!!

bosyber

ringo wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 07:48
ispano6 wrote:

Max probably backed off Hamilton to prolong the life of the tires and saved them for when he needed them - the lap that Bottas tried to undercut him and failed. Max pitting after Bottas was said to be to cover the stop. Perez showed that preserving the tires for a later stop and having fresher tires allowed him to have a faster pace across the entire race. If Perez had been pitted just one lap earlier in Spielberg he would have been able to get Bottas. This year is one that is really defined by how timely the change to the right tire is and how much to push at what part of the stint.
Yep.
That, and it shows in that Hamilton didn't have the luxury of upping the pace enough for his inlap to make it work either (Verstappen being faster there already, and then with tyre-warm-up on his outlap, as expected for this season). Perhaps even the fact Bottas was able to stick so close to them shows HAM couldn't get his usual advantage out if it while keeping the tyres okay?

Anyway, that's off topic for this thread about last weeks race, where it was clear Mercedes just didn't quite have the same pace as Verstappen was able get out of the Red Bull (Perez luckily for them again couldn't on Saturday, and Bottas got a good enough staring phase+strategy to outsmart them for the 3rd podium - good race from him, though Sat spin was dope). I am skeptical this weekend will be entirely different, but who knows let's hope it's closer for a bit more tension for the win, right!

Kingshark

ispano6 wrote:
Kingshark wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 00:47
ringo wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 22:55
Why were they overtaken in the pits then, if they were that much quicker?
Because Mercedes underestimated the undercut by their own admission. Their computers believed that Lewis would exit the pits 1.5 seconds ahead of Max (which you would know if you listened to Lewis’ radio on the pit exit).

Why did Verstappen constantly drop back from Hamilton in the opening stint when both drivers were on the same tyres, while Hamilton easily kept within DRS of Verstappen when he was the one chasing?

I know that there is a strong RB16B > W12 agenda floating around here because some people are petrified by the idea that their hero is being outperformed by a younger driver in an equal car, but let’s not twist the facts here.
Max probably backed off Hamilton to prolong the life of the tires and saved them for when he needed them
He backed off to the point of where he fell outside of the predicted undercut range? Doesn’t sound very logical.

The logical answer is that he didn’t have the pace to live with Hamilton in the first stint, but if one’s sole purpose is to prove that RB16B > W12, then I can see why they would not accept that explanation.

El Scorchio

dans79 wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 02:58
Now I understand why Masi wasn't happy about Max's immediate post race burnout.

Bloody hell! Well exactly.
He probably is pretty lucky he didn't get a penalty actually, in light of that accident when you see what could happen.
Same track too.

Sieper

Kingshark wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 09:20
ispano6 wrote:
Kingshark wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 00:47

Because Mercedes underestimated the undercut by their own admission. Their computers believed that Lewis would exit the pits 1.5 seconds ahead of Max (which you would know if you listened to Lewis’ radio on the pit exit).

Why did Verstappen constantly drop back from Hamilton in the opening stint when both drivers were on the same tyres, while Hamilton easily kept within DRS of Verstappen when he was the one chasing?

I know that there is a strong RB16B > W12 agenda floating around here because some people are petrified by the idea that their hero is being outperformed by a younger driver in an equal car, but let’s not twist the facts here.
Max probably backed off Hamilton to prolong the life of the tires and saved them for when he needed them
He backed off to the point of where he fell outside of the predicted undercut range? Doesn’t sound very logical.

The logical answer is that he didn’t have the pace to live with Hamilton in the first stint, but if one’s sole purpose is to prove that RB16B > W12, then I can see why they would not accept that explanation.
Exactly this.

ispano6

Sieper wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 20:09
Kingshark wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 09:20
ispano6 wrote:

Exactly this.
More like Max+RB16b > Ham+W12 if the tire strategy works out. At what point did I even mention that the RB16b > W12. Max caught Ham in BAHRAIN and overtook him, but had to give it back. He didn't have the tires to retake it after that. Could stick to Ham's tail but couldn't get by. So yeah, this season has been defined by the tires, even a massive failure hence why there is a new construction. Of course you guys are free to disagree...

nmoleiro

Have you guys seen this, Verstapen qualy lap with Norris’s overlaid?

Really would be nice to see more of this kind of 1-2 quali comparisons.

https://youtu.be/5G649EPFjrQ

Wouter

nmoleiro wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 23:08
Have you guys seen this, Verstapen qualy lap with Norris’s overlaid?

Really would be nice to see more of this kind of 1-2 quali comparisons.

https://youtu.be/5G649EPFjrQ

He just started to make these comparisons. I assume he will be doing that more often.
Last Friday a new one from Ricciardo and Norris Austrian GP..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL6-EK ... XWIwblM9kQ
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Videos taken down.

FOM actually copied his Idea in the last Race (GB grand Prix) using livery textures on the graphics...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏