2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

Yep, there has to be some distinction between various situations, if you were to say that it's fine for anyone who is on the inside to always run the other car off track then you'd completely discourage any attempts to overtake around the outside because from those attempts drivers only manage to actually be ahead in the rarest of cases.

BTW the decision making for the double yellows makes no sense, after Baku drivers were told to properly slow down for those and yet most of them got away with slightly lifting at best.

TimW
TimW

Just watched it again, indeed much harder to call than I initially thought.

TimW
TimW

RZS10 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 22:15
BTW the decision making for the double yellows makes no sense, after Baku drivers were told to properly slow down for those and yet most of them got away with slightly lifting at best.
Agree, it may have been useless to give then all a five second penalty, but a point to their license would make sense

Datco
Datco

I think Lando race and Lewis damage played a bigger factor in Max easy win than the car itself. Perez really struggled to overtake the Mclaren more than Lewis did. Noris kind of ruined both mercs races and Perez race as he should of course.

Sieper

Yes, I agree. In fact, so does Toto, said their relative pace was up. Lando was just too quick today, and yesterday, and as only Max was in front that kind of gave him a golden opportunity. To lando’s credit Ofcourse.

RZS10

He still said that they couldn't have fought for the win either way.

I believe there were probably enough indicators that Max was fully in control of the race and not really pushing (hard) most of the time. Must still be encouraging for them given that they were absolutely nowhere last week, wonder if they sacrificed some quali pace for race pace, so the opposite of the previous race.

[Edited to make it clearer that the latter part is not what Wolff said]
Last edited by RZS10 on 04 Jul 2021, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

That is probably also fair to say, allthough as events played out we didn’t get that. But I agree this was Max race to win.

maxxer
maxxer

Mercedes know exactly what is wrong with the car but with the cost cap they wont fix it and spend the money on next years car

Edax
Edax

RZS10 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 22:15
Yep, there has to be some distinction between various situations, if you were to say that it's fine for anyone who is on the inside to always run the other car off track then you'd completely discourage any attempts to overtake around the outside because from those attempts drivers only manage to actually be ahead in the rarest of cases.

I don’t race cars (only bikes). But I imagine it is the same. Once you are committed to a corner there is no way you can tighten up the corner. You can steer more but that will only let you slide out more.

If you enter the corner together you can anticipate and carry a bit less speed. But if the other unexpectedly launches the pass in the braking zone the outcome is set.

On that basis I don’t think the penalty for Norris was correct. I don’t think he had any option not to run Perez off the road.

Sieper

Now I am going to sound as if I am the big advocate of Lando’s penalty (I am not, but if I were a steward I likely would have given if, after some doubt and debate) but isn’t what you ate saying exactly why it Then is a penalty Edax? Look at who was in front before the braking for the corner begun. Lando made the choice to brake himself back (his ability to do so is a why he was so quick here, Ricciardo can not get there (yet?)) that is where he did not anticipate, or expected it to somehow work better and that is why we indeed ended up with to little road for both to occupy.

RZS10

There's probably more than enough arguments for and against the penalty - in football this would be a 'can' penalty kick, not a 'must'.

carisi2k

Of the 3 penalties that I saw (norris, perez 1 and perez 2). I think only the perez 2 incident was deserving of a penalty because of the hip and tuck he gave Charles but honestly if your going around the outside then you have to expect that room is going to run out.

langedweil

zibby43 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 20:48
... they recognize it takes a fast car and a talented driver to control and dominate a race.
Weirdly enough I was taught over the years outhere that things weren't about the car, but that not much more than skills made the difference.
Now I'm confused ..
Last edited by langedweil on 05 Jul 2021, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

carisi2k wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 01:21
Of the 3 penalties that I saw (norris, perez 1 and perez 2). I think only the perez 2 incident was deserving of a penalty because of the hip and tuck he gave Charles but honestly if your going around the outside then you have to expect that room is going to run out.
The only clear penalty was NOR imo. At Turn 4 you cannot say LEC was clearly ahead; the only way really to make that determination is to be forensic about it and side-by-side some footage. I personally hate settlements done this way. At normal speed, it’s too close to call therefore give the benefit to the man on the inside; the overtaking move has yet to be established.

As for Turn 6, remove PER from the analysis and ask yourself whether LEC was certain to make that corner. If you ask me he was carrying to much speed and was always destined to wash wide into the gravel. RUS did the same thing last year vs MAG. Had LEC been bumped off then it would’ve been a different story, but there was no contact.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

ringo

Both penatiles were justified. I look at the driver's hands. The driver is unwinding the steering angle to push out the other driver; it's an intention to obstruct the other car. The focus should be on defending your line and going around the corner. When you unwind the steering lock with a car beside you, you are no longer doing your own race, you are destroying someone elses.
Norris was wrong and son was Perez twice.

Lewis knows how to push it to the limit without penalty. You need to reduce that gap way before the other car's axle is beside your car and ensure 1 smooth movement defining your racing line. You close the door by moving first, not in reaction to a car pulling up alongside.
For Sure!!