2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

Mclarensenna wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 04:07

Sucks for Alonso as P5 might have been on the cards even.
But Alonso maturity has really grown lately. He does not blame Seb at all. He blames the team for not alerting him and also the cars ahead all slowing down which forces you to slow down through no fault of your own.
Alonso next year could be a dark horse as Alpine way more focused on next years car it seems than Redbull and Merc seem to be currently.
I don't think it's maturity, just a fact. Vettel was where he was cause of the cars in front of him. They all slowed down where they were told not to. He was also right when he said the FIA didn't have the cohones to penalize everyone. They'd rather penalize Alonso by not acting.

diffuser

So has Alonzo's side of the garage figured out something with the setup? No degradation issues in this race and he had great pace right to the end.

Still wish he would started on Hards but hey I understand trying to make a few places on the start but he got boxed in.

max_speed

Yeah if he would have started on hards like sainz then ideally we had chance for 7th or 8th. Alonso manages his tires well like sainz.

RedNEO

Great race from ALO with what he had to work with. That’s why it’s very important to be as high up as possible because the car doesn’t have enough straight line speed to over take on the straights.

Once Alonso was passed Russell he was able to use his pace but if he gets stuck behind these cars at the beginning of the stint it’s pretty much status quo. Hopefully in Silverstone we have better luck and get deep into the top ten to save our race.

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:36
So has Alonzo's side of the garage figured out something with the setup? No degradation issues in this race and he had great pace right to the end.

Still wish he would started on Hards but hey I understand trying to make a few places on the start but he got boxed in.
Yeah that was great to see that Alonso could be able to keep pace and he would have stayed in the top ten if they stuck on the mediums for Q2 and I’m sure a p6 splitting the ferraris was possible.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:00
diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:36

Yeah that was great to see that Alonso could be able to keep pace and he would have stayed in the top ten if they stuck on the mediums for Q2 and I’m sure a p6 splitting the ferraris was possible.
This all on Last weeks Mediums and soft for the whole race! It was cooler today.
Last edited by diffuser on 04 Jul 2021, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:53
Great race from ALO with what he had to work with. That’s why it’s very important to be as high up as possible because the car doesn’t have enough straight line speed to over take on the straights.

Once Alonso was passed Russell he was able to use his pace but if he gets stuck behind these cars at the beginning of the stint it’s pretty much status quo. Hopefully in Silverstone we have better luck and get deep into the top ten to save our race.
Alonso has been near the top in max speed at most tracks. This was one track where he's hasn't been as far up on the list.

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:14
RedNEO wrote:

Alonso has been near the top in max speed at most tracks. This was one track where he's hasn't been as far up on the list.
Maybe they compromised to get better tyre life in the race?

So just looking at wind tunnel time I hope Alpine will at least be able to take advantage of having more runs than the teams ahead per week on the new car. They will get 42 per week according to my calculations while McLaren will be on 38 and Ferrari about 39. Red Bull will be on 36 and Mercedes 37. Something like that anyway so let’s hope they put those extra runs to good use for next year.

Since the advantage is now locked in for 12 months and we’ve heard big gains are being made on next years cars with every incremental run they do in the tunnel having a 15% advantage for the next 12 months isn’t a bad place to be if they make sure there simulation tools are up to scratch this time.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 19:40
diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:14
RedNEO wrote:

Maybe they compromised to get better tyre life in the race?

So just looking at wind tunnel time I hope Alpine will at least be able to take advantage of having more runs than the teams ahead per week on the new car. They will get 42 per week according to my calculations while McLaren will be on 38 and Ferrari about 39. Red Bull will be on 36 and Mercedes 37. Something like that anyway so let’s hope they put those extra runs to good use for next year.

Since the advantage is now locked in for 12 months and we’ve heard big gains are being made on next years cars with every incremental run they do in the tunnel having a 15% advantage for the next 12 months isn’t a bad place to be if they make sure there simulation tools are up to scratch this time.
I hope so...but I still have hope the Alonso team will figure out the tires and he'll start chasing Norris.

diffuser

Getting fed up over skysports coverage.Alonso was literally the last interview they showed.Felt like filler. Mean while Russel who finished behind him and out of the points was invited on set.

Miha_v

Good performance by Alonso yesterday, pulled off maximum realistically possible from starting 14th. Great (and fair) fight with Russell for the point in the end. Both would deserve it, as George raced wonderfully this weekend again. Even spaniard felt bad he had to snatch the point from him.

max_speed

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 21:04
Getting fed up over skysports coverage.Alonso was literally the last interview they showed.Felt like filler. Mean while Russel who finished behind him and out of the points was invited on set.
I completly agree they hardly show Alpine. They are happy to show garage of mercedes but will not show Alonso on track.Williams coverage is also quite great

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 22:51
RedNEO wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 19:14
My interpretation is that currently Red Bull is above Ren/Alp so they would be building an engine to fit Red Bulls needs so it wouldn’t benefit Alpine and that’s fair for both parties to want different things.

I know for a fact that when he was refering to Renault that he meant that they didn't want to spend F1 winning $$$ on the PU. Now that was back when they were Renault and before the CAP.

The CAP is now basically where Renault were spending.
I presume Alpine are at maximum of the budget cap for developing 2022 car.

Is the 2022 Renault power unit being built with 'unlimited' budget approved, given power unit budget is (for now) unrestricted? Spending more than all the other power unit suppliers should be the best way to build the F1 class-leading power unit (at least in theory) -- 2022 has to be year for Alpine-Renault to win whatever the cost, surely? :)

radosav

Ocon is expecting lot of parts on his car changed, even chassis by Silverstone, to try to fix bad pace.

Jolle

JordanMugen wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 17:58
diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 22:51
RedNEO wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 19:14
My interpretation is that currently Red Bull is above Ren/Alp so they would be building an engine to fit Red Bulls needs so it wouldn’t benefit Alpine and that’s fair for both parties to want different things.

I know for a fact that when he was refering to Renault that he meant that they didn't want to spend F1 winning $$$ on the PU. Now that was back when they were Renault and before the CAP.

The CAP is now basically where Renault were spending.
I presume Alpine are at maximum of the budget cap for developing 2022 car.

Is the 2022 Renault power unit being built with 'unlimited' budget approved, given power unit budget is (for now) unrestricted? Spending more than all the other power unit suppliers should be the best way to build the F1 class-leading power unit (at least in theory) -- 2022 has to be year for Alpine-Renault to win whatever the cost, surely? :)
Let’s hope Alpine will find the way up. At the moment they are the worst of Alonso’s three former teams… (to keep his curse going on for a little bit longer)