Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mkay

Re: Mercedes W12

I wonder how easy it is to circumvent wind tunnel time regulations? Couldn’t Daimler (entity outside of the purview of the FIA) run their own wind tunnel in Germany and then feed information to Mercedes F1 through encrypted manners?

SiLo

mkay wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:01
I wonder how easy it is to circumvent wind tunnel time regulations? Couldn’t Daimler (entity outside of the purview of the FIA) run their own wind tunnel in Germany and then feed information to Mercedes F1 through encrypted manners?
Yes but if they get caught they will just get thrown out of the championship. Plus the amount of people you need to run the wind tunnel, someone would see something.
Felipe Baby!

marcel171281

mkay wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:01
And risk being disqualified from the world championship on the spot when caught? Incl a fine probably running into millions? And the worst kind of advertisement for a car manufacturer on top of that?

No.

cplchanb

Is there any pics or more info on the damage that led to ham losing out on the podium? Was it at the floor when he ran over the curbs?

Spacepace

cplchanb wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 01:16
Is there any pics or more info on the damage that led to ham losing out on the podium? Was it at the floor when he ran over the curbs?
Yeah I feel like it's something that they don't want anyone seeing

DR30

Anyone else notice since the flappy Merc shark fin stopped flapping they have been slower?

SiLo

It might have been something with the suspension that broke?
Felipe Baby!

godlameroso

Apparently it was the rear brake tin.
Saishū kōnā

cooken

godlameroso wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 14:31
Apparently it was the rear brake tin.
Source? If so very interesting given it was a new part introduced this weekend.

Edit: There's a quote from Shovlin stating deterioration of aero bits in the tin.
Last edited by cooken on 05 Jul 2021, 15:48, edited 2 times in total.

Mr5in1

I noticed during the race when O board Norris when he was chasing Lewis's car down that the Mercedes harvesting lights were coming on down the straights (between turn 2 /3 and out of turn 3) was there some engine issues not being disclosed?

Big Tea

Mr5in1 wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 15:02
I noticed during the race when O board Norris when he was chasing Lewis's car down that the Mercedes harvesting lights were coming on down the straights (between turn 2 /3 and out of turn 3) was there some engine issues not being disclosed?
Norris also reported on his radio when Ham passed him 'his rear brakes are on fire'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

Big Tea wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 15:04
Mr5in1 wrote:
Norris also reported on his radio when Ham passed him 'his rear brakes are on fire'
But wouldn’t that just be brake balance settings? Lewis is using them quite a lot to optimize.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 16:48
Big Tea wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 15:04
Mr5in1 wrote:
But wouldn’t that just be brake balance settings? Lewis is using them quite a lot to optimize.
Most of the rear wheel braking, is being handled by BBW, so for the actual brakes to get that hot something wasn't right.
197 104 103 7

PhillipM

Probably just airflow being low having being stuck behind Norris so long.

AR3-GP

I have been determined to get to the bottom of the Mercedes W12 token spend, so I figured I would look at the list of token items , and try a process of elimination to identify the most likely token items on the W12.

These are the general token areas that were allowed for the 2021 F1 season:

Survival Cell
Primary Roll structure
Front Floor Structure
Front Impact structure
Rear impact structure
Pedals
Plank
DRS system
Gearbox
Gear change components
Clutch
Inboard Front Suspension
Front Axles, Bearings, Nuts, Retention System
Inboard Rear Suspension
Rear Axles, bearings, nuts, and retention system
Wheel Rims
TPMS
Brake System
Fuel System
Hydraulic System
Water-Oil or Water-Water Coolers
Electrical looms
Drinks system
Driver Radio
Data Loggers
Fire extinguisher
Pitstop Equipment

Based on this video around 1:28, the following components were recycled from last season: Survival cell, Gearbox, Gear Change components, Fuel system, Hydraulic system.

Based on my estimation, the following components would have been foolish to waste tokens on in light of the new floor regulations: Drinks system, Fire Extinguisher, TPMS, Data Loggers, Driver Radio, Electrical Looms, Clutch, DRS System, Pedals

Based on my estimation, the following components simply have not been changed: Pitstop Equipment, (Front Axles, Bearings, Nuts, Retention System), (Rear Axles, bearings, nuts, and retention system), Front Impact Structure, Rear Impact Structure.

That leaves us with an absolute list of the only remaining token items available for the Mercedes W12:
  • Primary Roll structure (2 Tokens)
  • Front Floor Structure (1 Token)
  • Plank (1 Token)
  • Inboard Front Suspension (2 Tokens)
  • Inboard Rear Suspension (2 Tokens)
  • Wheel Rims (2 Tokens)
  • Brake System (1 Token per component)
  • Water-Oil or Water-Water Coolers (2 Tokens)
Both Mercedes and Aston Martin suffered gearbox issues in the Bahrain pre-season test. This could point to changes, but Allison said the transmission was the same as last season. Odd. Also, it would have been a waste considering the floor changes that most other teams targeted there token development around.

What do you people think they spent tokens on from the 8 remaining items.

Here are my main guesses
  • Front floor structure seems like a plausible target as it would directly relate to the floor cuts. As a single token item, it would most likely be paired with the plank as the second token item.
  • Water-oil and water-water coolers is plausible given the new engine intake system and the intercoolers
  • Wheel rims are plausible as they can be used to control tire temperature. We know that Mercedes have struggled to generate tire temperatures this season
Competitors are allowed only 2 tokens. Therefore, if a single token item was selected, then another single token item must have been used alongside to consume 2 tokens. Alternatively, one double token item can be selected.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 06 Jul 2021, 03:03, edited 10 times in total.