Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DChemTech

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 12:23
Morteza wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 02:54
Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 23:14

I had an inkling he would be at AM, but that seems to have gone now. Renault would have been good, but no seats there now. Kimi and Bottas in the same team? probably not. How tight id Danny Ric's contract? he may not be too upset to move out?
Williams might be a very good move though. Mercedes get Russell and give Bottas back to Williams. Valtteri is quite a solid driver IMHO, nice qualifier too. If he goes to Alfa Romeo, would it not be to replace Kimi? I mean how many more years Kimi wants to race? :D

Danny Ric is a weird case. Lando has been stellar, but Daniel has yet to adapt to the McLaren? I think by now all the drivers new to their teams have got the hang of their cars (Alonso, Sainz Jr. , Vettel). I honestly don't know what's going on with him, but is McLaren desperate enough to replace him or he's gonna jump ship first? Is there any team on the grid that wants Ricciardo?
I agree, but would Bottas go to Williams? That's an end to end swap, top to bottom. He would also have big shoe to fill after Russell. Williams are waiting to be 'back up there' but not much seems to indicate it will be soon.
If Bottas just wants to drive, yes it would be perfect for him, or if he has a promise of a better seat next year and wants to stay sharp. It is about the worse year he could be left with to find a drive. No doubt Merc will find him a good drive, but will it be one he wants?
For all we know, Williams is a top team next year. Rule changes can shake up the pack - Williams wasn't doing bad after the 2013-14 change (albeit mostly due to the engine..), and Bottas scored podiums for Williams back then. Any move between teams this year is much more of a gamble than it was in years before. Hell, maybe Haas is one of the places to be next year :P.

DChemTech

Big Tea wrote:
Morteza wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 02:54
Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 23:14

I had an inkling he would be at AM, but that seems to have gone now. Renault would have been good, but no seats there now. Kimi and Bottas in the same team? probably not. How tight id Danny Ric's contract? he may not be too upset to move out?
Williams might be a very good move though. Mercedes get Russell and give Bottas back to Williams. Valtteri is quite a solid driver IMHO, nice qualifier too. If he goes to Alfa Romeo, would it not be to replace Kimi? I mean how many more years Kimi wants to race? :D

Danny Ric is a weird case. Lando has been stellar, but Daniel has yet to adapt to the McLaren? I think by now all the drivers new to their teams have got the hang of their cars (Alonso, Sainz Jr. , Vettel). I honestly don't know what's going on with him, but is McLaren desperate enough to replace him or he's gonna jump ship first? Is there any team on the grid that wants Ricciardo?
I agree, but would Bottas go to Williams? That's an end to end swap, top to bottom. He would also have big shoe to fill after Russell. Williams are waiting to be 'back up there' but not much seems to indicate it will be soon.
If Bottas just wants to drive, yes it would be perfect for him, or if he has a promise of a better seat next year and wants to stay sharp. It is about the worse year he could be left with to find a drive. No doubt Merc will find him a good drive, but will it be one he wants?
For all we know, Williams is a top team next year. Rule changes can shake up the pack - Williams wasn't doing bad after the 2013-14 change (albeit mostly due to the engine..), and Bottas scored podiums for Williams back then. Any move between teams this year is much more of a gamble than it was in years before. Hell, maybe Haas is one of the places to be next year :P.

Starscreamer

Line-up Williams 2022
Russel - de Vries
F2 champion needs a change in the F1
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Manoah2u

Starscreamer wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 16:46
Line-up Williams 2022
Russel - de Vries
F2 champion needs a change in the F1
Which change do you want?
And who is Russel?

Anyway,

I don't think there's a chance for a combo of De Vries and Russell to be fair.
Russell is the Merc 'protegé' occupying a seat, there won't be two - and Latifi is bringing in the money.
Latifi is going to stay there for atleast 2 to 3 more seasons - unless the Latifi camp manages to make a deal with Alfa Romeo or Alpine instead, the latter unlikely.

De Vries in F1 is also still a rather big question mark. Yes he's inked to Mercedes, and he's probably better than Jack Aitken, but regardless I don't really think he's cut for F1 nor is he the 'Mercedes protegé' that they're 'steaming up' for a role in the sport. De Vries already has a job and a plan, I don't believe F1 is ever part of that. He doesn't have the talent Verstappen, Russell, or for example Norris has - or Ocon before - and as such, it holds little probability he'll be signed a race seat, never to mention his F2 championship is already 2 years ago and it's not like he ever really 'impressed'.

I would be inclined to think the driver replacing Russell, who certainly will go to Mercedes - is not going to be a Mercedes protegé (as there really is not one), is going to be somebody who can bring additional financial backing and support for the Williams team. As the truth is, despite all of his impressive talent, Russell still hasn't managed to bring in points and as sad as that is, all his talent really hasn't benefitted Williams. Truth of the matter is, that as long as Williams has another driver to finish in front of Mazespin, they'll be safe.

As such, they would more likely pair Nissany with Latifi. Two money making 'paydrivers', and if for some reason Latifi moves, they can keep Nissany money. The other 'potential' could be Guanyu Zhou.

Zhou is an Alpine 'driver' and though Williams won't suddenly switch to Renault power, Zhou also isn't likely to get a Alpine racing seat. Williams would be an interesting seat, he'll certainly bring in China money if he gets a F1 seat, and I wouldn't doubt he has the craft to beat Mazespin even in inferior material.

The only oddball that could come out of nowhere is Frederik Vesti, but i dont know if he even has superlicense points to be able to participate in F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 22:25
[and I wouldn't doubt he has the craft to beat Mazespin even in inferior material.
My Spaniel could beat Mazepin. A better example of money not bringing talent is hard to imagine. The guy's a joke and his presence on the grid diminishes F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 00:56
Manoah2u wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 22:25
[and I wouldn't doubt he has the craft to beat Mazespin even in inferior material.
My Spaniel could beat Mazepin. A better example of money not bringing talent is hard to imagine. The guy's a joke and his presence on the grid diminishes F1.
Well, racing started as a sport for counts, junkers and princes, and now he 'old riches' have made place for the nouveau riche. The princes of the 21st century are the heirs to industrial empires (or, oil states). And as long as the main way to beat the competition is ones capability to pump money in a certain endeavour (be it an F1 or a soccer team), we'll see practices like this - to the detriment of the sport itself. A cost cap may bring some alleviation, but with the current budgets, even within a cost cap the donations of these pay drivers are quite lucrative. So we'll likely be dealing with Mazepinish drivers for some time to come.

Jolle

There have always been drivers like Mazepin and there probably always be. As long as you can buy a seat. What’s different now is the price of that seat, so only billionaires get a chance to put their kids in.
On the other hand it shows how healthy F1 is financially, that instead of paying millions for a season, it’s a better investment to simply buy a team and make a little money on the side.

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
I dunno, up to Bottas if he wants to drive there. :)

The list of possible Williams drivers seem as long as one's arm. I think Latifi will stay as Latifi is a solid driver with a good sponsorship package.

If Bottas rejects Williams, then perhaps proven podium-finisher Kvyat becomes the front runner for the Williams drive?

Possible Williams drivers
Current F1 drivers:
Bottas (prefers Sauber/Alfa Romeo?)
Giovinazzi

Former drivers:
Kvyat
Albon (Red Bull affiliate)
Hulkenberg
Magnussen
Vandoorne (Mercedes affiliate)

Rookies:
Ticktum (Williams affiliate)
Aitken (Williams affiliate)
Chadwick (Williams affiliate)
De Vryies (Mercedes affiliate)

Zhou (Renault affiliate)
Illot (Ferrari affiliate)
Shwartzmann (Ferrari affiliate)
Lawson (Red Bull affiliate)
Piastri (Red Bull affiliate)

O'Ward (Indycar)
Pietro Fittipaldi (Indycar)
Herta (Indycar)

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 21:36
Big Tea wrote:
I dunno, up to Bottas if he wants to drive there. :)

The list of possible Williams drivers seem as long as one's arm. I think Latifi will stay as Latifi is a solid driver with a good sponsorship package.

If Bottas rejects Williams, then perhaps proven podium-finisher Kvyat becomes the front runner for the Williams drive?

Current F1 drivers:
Giovinazzi

Former drivers:
Kvyat
Hulkenberg
Magnussen

Rookies:

Zhou (Renault affiliate)

O'Ward (Indycar)
Herta (Indycar)
Can't help but think it is looking more and more like Russell staying at Williams to me. Possibly with some more assistance from Toto, either in his Merc hat, or some 'influence' with a backer coming in to Williams and giving them the finances to use what Merc will allow them to have. It could easily become a midfield combination with some arm twisting.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

914hald

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 21:36

Current F1 drivers:
Giovinazzi

Former drivers:
Kvyat
Hulkenberg
Magnussen

Rookies:

Zhou (Renault affiliate)

O'Ward (Indycar)
Herta (Indycar)
Herta in F1 would be so cool.

Schumacher to Alfa and Herta to Haas? :D

Jolle

My guess is Bottas to Williams on a two years deal, partly still under Mercedes wing to be the backup when the junior program comes out dry when Hamilton retires.

aMessageToCharlie

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 22:48
Can't help but think it is looking more and more like Russell staying at Williams to me. Possibly with some more assistance from Toto, either in his Merc hat, or some 'influence' with a backer coming in to Williams and giving them the finances to use what Merc will allow them to have. It could easily become a midfield combination with some arm twisting.

Same. With Hamilton singning for another two years and RBR putting up a championship fight, I don’t see them bringing in Russell.

Realistically Russell has nowhere else to go and with Merc promising him a seat as HAM's successor, it wouldn’t be smart to leave. So Mercedes has all the cards and can do as they please.

Guess it will be Bottas for two more years or a 1+1 until he is finally moved aside like Massa at Ferrari.

Peter1919

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 22:48
I don't think so. I think Hamilton just signed his last contract and Russell will get his move to Merc to give him som time in the team before Ham retires. So long as he proves himself in those 2 years then Russell will be Hamilton's long term replacement as the top driver at Merc. If Russell doesn't do as well as most of us expect then that gives Merc a chance to try and recruit a top driver to replace Ham instead.

ringo

zeph wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 07:14
I think Ricciardo will have to first be able to beat Norris or at least be thereabouts. If he doesn't level up soon, I see his market value tanking.
Funny how when he was in a Redbull people were saying he was top tier and just as good aa Hamilton. I always maintained the abilities of that car were making him look like superman. The grip, stability and braking. He went to Renault and he had is drop in form trying to come to terms with the car. It took him some time and even then he did not have a benchmark or a top driver who the team would focus on in terms of the development of the car, so he was able to get the team ro bring the car towards him. Now he is at Mclaren, against a very talented, but inexperienced driver, the team are focused on having the car optimized for Lando and may not change direction to Daniel.. so his shine is getting even duller.
Funny how things reveal themselves.
Andreas Seild has even used the word "disappointed" which is harsh. Daneil will bounce back, but his lack of adaptability has shown he isnt top drawer. Though he did give Max trouble..so this says a lot about how intense the rivalry across the grid is. They are all very close in ability. But to adapt to rules, cars, and stay on top for many years is the trick.
For Sure!!

politburo

Some qualifying battles this season Image
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"