2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

Tire selection by Pirelli
C1 - C2 - C3 | 2x hard - 4x medium - 6x soft

2020 Results
Qualifying

Race

2020 Pole Lap

2020 Race Highlights
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 25 Jul 2021, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

Here's a little summary of this weekends schedule:
Friday:
FP1 (two sets of tires)
Qualifying Q1, Q2, Q3 (sets grid for the sprint race, soft tire mandatory, parc ferme starts)

Saturday:
FP2 (one set of tires)
100km sprint race (free tire choice, no pit stop mandatory, sets grid for the GP,
3 points awarded for the winner, 2 for P2 and 1 point for P3)

Sunday:

Normal Grand Prix (free tire choice)

Check here for the exact times in your zone.

Wouter

Thank You Matthew!

These are CET.

FIA will treat F1 sprint race same as normal GP, says Masi
Adam Cooper . Jul 10, 2021, 8:42 PM
The FIA will use its rulebook for Formula 1’s sprint races in exactly the same way it would for a normal grand prix, according to race director Michael Masi.

“If we find an incident that two drivers are involved in, in the grand prix here, we can apply a grid penalty for the next grand prix,” Masi said.

“So grid penalties and time penalties, for driving infringements and so forth, those penalties will be applied.

“The rest of the regulations regarding power units and so forth, which is subject to approval from the F1 Commission and the FIA World Motor Sport Council later this week, but they will be applied in a different way and focused on the race.

“But things that affect your grid starting position will, from the perspective of a driving infringement or anything like that, will be applied either as a grid or a time penalty at the time.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... i/6627120/

Credits to Jip Gemser.

Image ... Image
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The fact that Parc Fermé will already start after FP1 will mean inconvenience for most teams.
Especially when it rains / red flags.

The Sprint Qualifier replaces the normaly exciting Q1, Q2 and Q3 qualification.

You can no longer earn the Pole Position Award as the fastest driver in Q3. Now this will be for the winner in the Sprint Qualifier.

What do you think about all this?
The Power of Dreams!

F1NAC

same as in 2016 when they tried something that really didn't need to be changed.

Chuckjr

Wouter wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 13:14
The fact that Parc Fermé will already start after FP1 will mean inconvenience for most teams.

You can no longer earn the Pole Position Award as the fastest driver in Q3. Now this will be for the winner in the Sprint Qualifier.

I think they are trying to increase viewership at the cost of the integrity of a race weekend, and it’s really sad to watch. It’s the same sickening feeling I had when they turned engines into power units in the name of green energy...which destroyed competition and coronated one team for almost a decade.
Watching F1 since 1986.

zibby43

Verstappen pole and victory.

If the trend from Austria continues and the RBR remains 4 tenths quicker, the championship will be over.

b2bL44

zibby43 wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 05:19

If the trend from Austria continues and the RBR remains 4 tenths quicker, the championship will be over.
Let's wait and see what Mercedes bring this weekend before waving a white flag. Austria is a high altitude track so any difference in pace was always going to be exaggerated. Silverstone should bring a more realistic balance of power.
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

trinidefender

One thing that I'm confused about with the parc ferme regulations is how the second practice will be run.

It is placed smack in the middle of the weekend after qualifying and before the sprint race. That means that the practice will be run under parc ferme rules? What's the point of running the car like that if they can't make any changes to setup or run different aerodynamic parts or testing rigs.

Am I missing something here?

zibby43

b2bL44 wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 06:08
zibby43 wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 05:19

Let's wait and see what Mercedes bring this weekend before waving a white flag. Austria is a high altitude track so any difference in pace was always going to be exaggerated. Silverstone should bring a more realistic balance of power.
I’m firmly in the “show me” camp after the past 5 races. But Verstappen is definitely the favorite.

zibby43

trinidefender wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 06:09
One thing that I'm confused about with the parc ferme regulations is how the second practice will be run.

It is placed smack in the middle of the weekend after qualifying and before the sprint race. That means that the practice will be run under parc ferme rules? What's the point of running the car like that if they can't make any changes to setup or run different aerodynamic parts or testing rigs.

Nope, not missing anything. Here’s an article about it:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... 23343/amp/

Phil

I'm really at a loss at what I should expect from this weekend. I simply don't get the whole sprint race thing. I hope the weekend goes by quickly and painless.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

cooken

zibby43 wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 08:29
trinidefender wrote:

Interesting. The article mentions clutch maintenance which now looks to be covered with some strict replacement rules, but also plank replacement which is now essentially forbidden. So instead of putting a new plank on for FP3 or Q, teams will potentially be stuck running with 1 for the whole weekend (if there isn't enough time to change it between FP1 and Q on Friday). I wonder if this could impact setups at all? I am thinking FP2 will be pretty damn quiet.

SiLo

cooken wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 13:02
zibby43 wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 08:29
trinidefender wrote:

Interesting. The article mentions clutch maintenance which now looks to be covered with some strict replacement rules, but also plank replacement which is now essentially forbidden. So instead of putting a new plank on for FP3 or Q, teams will potentially be stuck running with 1 for the whole weekend (if there isn't enough time to change it between FP1 and Q on Friday). I wonder if this could impact setups at all? I am thinking FP2 will be pretty damn quiet.
Could this be an issue for teams like Red Bull, who always seem to be running the car right on the plank all weekend?
Felipe Baby!

basti313

Wouter wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 13:14

The sprint is 18laps, they need to survive with one tire.

If I look at Silverstone the issue is as usual...too hard tires.
Last year Charly, Lance and Esteban did a 18-22lap stint on the C3 in the pack without showing a cliff. Same for Ham with 14laps in the wake of Bot still pushing a good inlap.
So everyone can use the C3 in Q2 and the sprint, then use C2 and C1 in the race...boring.

With a C2,C3 and C4 allocation this would be massive. That would push more danger on the qualifying, as they need to qualify on C3 to survive. Plus it would push for C4 usage in the GP.
Don`t russel the hamster!