Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LHamilton

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 02:30
:lol: :lol:

Bottas @ RB :lol:
Dude raises his middle finger to the fans and his own team, quite frankly.
Wolff paid him a fortune to get into Mercedes, he gets the best car in the field, and he can't even get close to making an impact. Meanwhile, he's getting worse and worse.

Also, Perez is in front of him in the standings, is the perfect second driver next to Max, and fits the RBR team much better.

And Bottas is not faster, that is clear.

People DO realise it's not 2016 and Rosberg isn't in the team anymore, right?
Rosberg is fast, arguably faster than Perez.
Bottas isn't even worthy to stand in Rosberg's shadow at this point.
Bottas has helped Mercedes to four constructors thus far, so surely he has delivered his part. And this season he has been far superior to Perez thus far. Lost maybe 25 points due to no fault of his own (Monaco & Imola) where as Perez benefited from a Verstappens tyre failure to win the Baku race. That's some 30 odd points swing. Still Bottas is closer to his teammate than Perez is to his.

That being said, I probably rate Perez slightly ahead of Bottas. Hard to really judge since Bottas had a Massa in his twilight years and now Hamilton. So the whole 'Bottas-to-Red-Bull' would be a side-step move at best.

You should probably do some more thinking before you post your comments :wink:

ringo

I do not rate Perez higher than Bottas. You need to be fast to stand a chance at being F1 champion. And that's Bottas conundrum. He is fast enough to make him keep believing in beint WDC, but he just does not have the consisrency.
Right now Perez is living off the superiority of the redbull. I am a Perez fan, but I can see that he has relied on the pace of his car to come through in the final stints for basically the whole season.
If Bottas can help with so many WCC titles, I do not see why he wont be considered for doing the same in another superior car in the redbull. Dont be suprised if Redbull put Perez to pasture if he doesnt have a smooth second half, or if he dares come into contact with Max on track for a win. Marko will send him out in a heartbeat and snatch up Bottas.
For Sure!!

zeph

Manoah2u wrote:
nacho wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 13:42
Before this season I thought Red Bull should sign Russell, but I think he must be going to Mercedes next year. RB should definitely sign Bottas.
ringo wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 02:14
I wasnt saying Bottas is night and day better than Perez. But he is faster for sure.
Sexondly Bottas does well if he has a clean weekend. Bottas has the track record of wins and podiums that brings WCC trophies.
He is not a bad pick for redbull.
The only way i seeing him replace Perez is if Russell goes to Mercedes. Redbull seem to be in an experimental phase and may just fancy picking Bottas.

Wolff paid him a fortune to get into Mercedes, he gets the best car in the field, and he can't even get close to making an impact. Meanwhile, he's getting worse and worse.

Also, Perez is in front of him in the standings, is the perfect second driver next to Max, and fits the RBR team much better.

What has Bottas done to you to trigger such animosity? :?

Big Tea

Comparing Bottas and Perez, I see Bottas having much fairer treatment than Perez. Bottas is always given equal opportunity to Ham (up to a point) but Red Bull do not even make a pretence at it. He is there to benefit Max at the deficiency of his own race, so is never going to be as close to the team leader. I still see Bottas as a much better option though, just pointing it out on the grounds of fairness.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 15:32
Comparing Bottas and Perez, I see Bottas having much fairer treatment than Perez. Bottas is always given equal opportunity to Ham (up to a point) but Red Bull do not even make a pretence at it. He is there to benefit Max at the deficiency of his own race, so is never going to be as close to the team leader. I still see Bottas as a much better option though, just pointing it out on the grounds of fairness.
I thought last year they should have tried to get Bottas instead of Perez, as a means to destabilize MB and because I think he is a good driver. I wonder if they tried?

codetower

Manoah2u wrote:
nacho wrote:
Before this season I thought Red Bull should sign Russell, but I think he must be going to Mercedes next year. RB should definitely sign Bottas.
ringo wrote:
I wasnt saying Bottas is night and day better than Perez. But he is faster for sure.
Sexondly Bottas does well if he has a clean weekend. Bottas has the track record of wins and podiums that brings WCC trophies.
The only way i seeing him replace Perez is if Russell goes to Mercedes. Redbull seem to be in an experimental phase and may just fancy picking Bottas.

It's interesting all this disdain towards Bottas from many people. I'm not a BOT fan but he seems to be a pretty good driver. Yes, he's behind Perez in the standings, but he's had TWO DNF's this year. And if you say that the Red Bull is faster than the Mercedes this year, then PER should be beating him in most races. But BOT has finished ahead of PER in most of the races (barring the DNFs), and has been on podium 5 of the 7 races he's finished this year. I'm sure there would be a few teams that would be giving him a call if Merc lets him go.

ringo

5 podiums is a good performance.
Being on the podium in 1 of 2 cars that can win on the day is a metric for getting the job done.
As Alonso said in 2010 about his strategy to stay in the title fight.. "podiums.. i need podiums". The Bottas hate is unexplainable to me. It may be connected to Hamilton hate and frustrations that Bottas had so many years and annot embarass him.
Let us see how Perez gets on for the rest of the year. I can see him pushing off Max like he did to LeClerc if both had a chance at a win in the final laps of a race.
For Sure!!

politburo

zeph wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 10:49
Manoah2u wrote:
nacho wrote:
ringo wrote:

Nicely asked, would also like to know, as the individual thinks Bottas is not faster than Perez. Where in this universe did they get that from?.

Bottas is categorically faster than Perez, despite the fact that Perez is in the best car on the grid.
1) Bottas has more podiums (5) and poles (1) in this same season than Perez (2 and 0 respectively) does.
2) Bottas qualifies higher up on the grid on average than Perez. Bottas is only 3rd to Hamilton and Verstappen. Bottas even finishes higher up on the grid than Perez (4.3 vs 4.8 avg finishing position) when they both finish the races.
3) If you remove Bottas having 2 DNFs, Perez has finished ahead of him 2 other times in the races (Baku, France). 5 other times they both finish races and Bottas is ahead.

Bottas is having a bad season yes, but to say he is slower than Perez is just ridiculous. Btw he is only 12 points behind Perez, basically one Monaco podium (which he had until he pitted) away from being ahead of him.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Manoah2u

zeph wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
nacho wrote:
ringo wrote:

you guys are really black-and white in your perceptions.
animosity? where did you get that from.

the actual question should be asked to you yourself,
what has bottas done to get falsely worshipped into the saint status you guys are giving him.

bottas always has been mediocre, and a decent amount below Rosberg, there's not a single doubt about that.
there's only been excuses 1.0 2.0 and 3.0 and then everytime he fails he gets protection and treated like a fragile piece of glass. It's been bottas 1.0 bottas 2.0, bottas 3.0 for crying out loud and never has he ever impressed or put up even the tiniest of pressure on anybody, ever. And instead of dealing with himself and improving, he actually responds to the crowd after lucky getting a win with a 'f#ck you', he's not a gentleman, he's not classy, and he's fragile.

That all doesn't really matter though, but if the question then comes boiling down to does he deserve a seat at the Mercedes top seat - then hell no, by no means whatsoever.

It's funny also how people claim Perez is slower than Bottas whilst completely ignoring it's his first time since a long time in a completely new team with a completely new car where one has to adapt. Look how much Daniel is struggling, now look how Perez is doing. Not just that, but at the start of the season, the RB was not as mighty as it has become now compared to the Mercedes. Despite all of that, Perez is in FRONT of Bottas in the WDC standings, and worse for Mercedes: RBR is in front of Merc thanks to Perez.

And the absolute truth is also this: When Max fails, Perez is right there. Bottas however is in no means even remotely close to being there, and above all, he crumbles under the mimimum of pressure and even gets snappy publicly to the hand that feeds him. He's not delivering what he should and he dares to attack his own team. If he was fighting for the win and the nr1 position in the WDC, it would be a different story.

The worst of it all is that Bottas only got into that Mercedes seat because Rosberg unexpectedly bailed.
And even then Mercedes didn't promote him without a doubt as if he was the clear cut and obvious choice,
as if he has brought so much results. Alonso was supposedly blocked by Mercedes heads due to the sour spygate aftermath, even Wehrlein was SERIOUSLY concidered, a hothead primadonna diva who drove in a slower car that Bottas and had far less experience. The only reason in the end Bottas ended up @ Merc was due to the simple fact that Toto is in charge and Bottas falls under his management.
Bottas is and always has been a Toto puppet.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

aMessageToCharlie

politburo wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 20:39
zeph wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

Nicely asked, would also like to know, as the individual thinks Bottas is not faster than Perez. Where in this universe did they get that from?.

Bottas is categorically faster than Perez, despite the fact that Perez is in the best car on the grid.
1) Bottas has more podiums (5) and poles (1) in this same season than Perez (2 and 0 respectively) does.
2) Bottas qualifies higher up on the grid on average than Perez. Bottas is only 3rd to Hamilton and Verstappen. Bottas even finishes higher up on the grid than Perez (4.3 vs 4.8 avg finishing position) when they both finish the races.
3) If you remove Bottas having 2 DNFs, Perez has finished ahead of him 2 other times in the races (Baku, France). 5 other times they both finish races and Bottas is ahead.

Bottas is having a bad season yes, but to say he is slower than Perez is just ridiculous. Btw he is only 12 points behind Perez, basically one Monaco podium (which he had until he pitted) away from being ahead of him.
It's not animosity towards Bottas. It's frustration towards Mercedes for robbing racing fans of any competion on the competitive end of the grid for half a decade.

They wanted to play it save after all the drama with Rosberg vs Hamilton and went with a "pretty good driver" as you guys correctly pointed out. A clear number two who will bring in the points, doesn't create any drama and might even get a win every once in a blue moon. Understandable. And boring as hell if you are a fan of racing.

Nobody would even care about Bottas imho if he was racing somewhere in the lower midfield. It's been clear as daylight from the get go though that he is not a top driver deserving of the fastest car on the grid. Objectively he brings no excitement whatsoever and that's why people have been praying for a change for last four years.

Red Bull is now doing a similar thing (after trying several fast young guns for years) with Perrez and people will rightfully complain about that in the future, should RBR run away with it and the only other competitive cockpit next to Verstappen would be occupied for years by a guy who was struggling to beat Hulk and rookie Ocon on pace.

Of course you might have a different view if you're a Hamilton or Verstappen fan and only want to see your idol racking up trophies year after year. I'd rather see some competition though.

nacho

I didn't like Bottas' f-you stuff BUT it was not directed to fans but to some unnamed people.

politburo

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:59
politburo wrote:
zeph wrote:

It's not animosity towards Bottas. It's frustration towards Mercedes for robbing racing fans of any competion on the competitive end of the grid for half a decade.

They wanted to play it save after all the drama with Rosberg vs Hamilton and went with a "pretty good driver" as you guys correctly pointed out. A clear number two who will bring in the points, doesn't create any drama and might even get a win every once in a blue moon. Understandable. And boring as hell if you are a fan of racing.

Nobody would even care about Bottas imho if he was racing somewhere in the lower midfield. It's been clear as daylight from the get go though that he is not a top driver deserving of the fastest car on the grid. Objectively he brings no excitement whatsoever and that's why people have been praying for a change for last four years.

Red Bull is now doing a similar thing (after trying several fast young guns for years) with Perrez and people will rightfully complain about that in the future, should RBR run away with it and the only other competitive cockpit next to Verstappen would be occupied for years by a guy who was struggling to beat Hulk and rookie Ocon on pace.

Of course you might have a different view if you're a Hamilton or Verstappen fan and only want to see your idol racking up trophies year after year. I'd rather see some competition though.
I really could care less about Hamilton or Verstappen, they are clearly the fastest 2 drivers on the grid, really what interests me in F1 competition-wise is the midfield as that is where the action is at. However, claiming Bottas is slower than Perez is just ridiculous. Perez was barely faster than Stroll who many people consider being average, and Vettel at Aston Martin is basically Perez 2.0. Perez at RB is a 2nd wheel, let's all understand that, he is what Webber was to Vettel.

Nonetheless, I don't like or dislike Bottas personally or as a driver - he is a race winner but will never win the championship but I also don't like the unnecessary slander either. Bottas is like Felipe Massa or Rubens Barrichello, a great 2nd driver who will win some races, points, and prize money for the team as that is what matters for the teams.

There has been really 1 or 2 stretches in recent F1 history where both drivers on a team were at a similar level at the front of the grid, the early 2010s with McLaren, and mid-2010s with Mercedes (Look how that ended). Look at all the other great champions and their teammates - Hakkinen had Coulthard, Alonso had Fisichella, etc.

Remember, only a few drivers will win a championship infact there have been over 750 drivers who have driven in F1 not even 5% of them have won the championship (33). Only the elite of the elite get to compete, be it due their superior car/team+skill or other circumstances.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

aMessageToCharlie

politburo wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 14:32
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
politburo wrote:

I really could care less about Hamilton or Verstappen, they are clearly the fastest 2 drivers on the grid, really what interests me in F1 competition-wise is the midfield as that is where the action is at. However, claiming Bottas is slower than Perez is just ridiculous. Perez was barely faster than Stroll who many people consider being average, and Vettel at Aston Martin is basically Perez 2.0. Perez at RB is a 2nd wheel, let's all understand that, he is what Webber was to Vettel.

Nonetheless, I don't like or dislike Bottas personally or as a driver - he is a race winner but will never win the championship but I also don't like the unnecessary slander either. Bottas is like Felipe Massa or Rubens Barrichello, a great 2nd driver who will win some races, points, and prize money for the team as that is what matters for the teams.

There has been really 1 or 2 stretches in recent F1 history where both drivers on a team were at a similar level at the front of the grid, the early 2010s with McLaren, and mid-2010s with Mercedes (Look how that ended). Look at all the other great champions and their teammates - Hakkinen had Coulthard, Alonso had Fisichella, etc.

Remember, only a few drivers will win a championship infact there have been over 750 drivers who have driven in F1 not even 5% of them have won the championship (33). Only the elite of the elite get to compete, be it due their superior car/team+skill or other circumstances.
Yeah, I agree with most of your post.

But I think especially the bold part is sad, because these are the moments that will be remembered and that turn people into F1 fans.
Nobody gets excited watching dominant driver x beating his support guy by a country mile every sunday for years and years.

Prost vs Senna
Alonso vs Hamilton
Hamilton vs Rosberg
Verstappen vs Ricciardo
Vettel vs Leclerc

These rivalries are what I want to see. And not only in the midfield, but at the very top.

And that's why I don’t like to see a guy like Bottas occupying a top seat.

Zynerji

I think that I'm less anti-Bottas, and more just pro-Russell.

Bottas is only ahead of Perez due to having waaaaaay longer in the team and car. The fact that Checo is in a new car and team, and still as close as he is, tells me that he is probably the better driver.

Jolle

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 14:55
politburo wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 14:32
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

Yeah, I agree with most of your post.

But I think especially the bold part is sad, because these are the moments that will be remembered and that turn people into F1 fans.
Nobody gets excited watching dominant driver x beating his support guy by a country mile every sunday for years and years.

Prost vs Senna
Alonso vs Hamilton
Hamilton vs Rosberg
Verstappen vs Ricciardo
Vettel vs Leclerc

These rivalries are what I want to see. And not only in the midfield, but at the very top.

And that's why I don’t like to see a guy like Bottas occupying a top seat.
Entertaining for the fans and the drama but the teams know their history. They end in tears, lawsuits, failed championships and sometimes even death. Plus, you’re team is going to rival itself from the inside (and blowup in your face). It’s all toxic.