2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jjn9128

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

JordanMugen wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 14:58
jjn9128 wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 14:50
It’s weird. Like trying to be futuristic by copying a 95/96 champ car. Then sticking on hubcaps off a 1950s American pickup.
Is there a reason for the wheel covers to be like that, instead of completely flat? :?:

The very stubby and wide nose is also curious. Will the real cars retain the narrow noses which they currently have? The other FIA concept shows the front wing main flap extending ahead of the nose ala FW14B, which might be another possibility? :?:

I hadn't realised how far off the ground the front wing is. The mock-up car shows a strange downards slope to the front wing from the nose, in reality will the main element of the real front wings immediately curve down rather aggressively much like the Tyrrell 019 -- provided that is permitted?

https://i.imgur.com/f5lG73R.png
The front wing box forces an anhedral from the nose to the tip. I’ve posted enough pictures of the regulation boxes. Plus I’m not on my computer. The Tyrrell 018/Jordan 191 concept wouldn’t be possible.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Holm86

This guy called, he want's his nose back :lol:

jjn9128

Holm86 wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 15:06
This guy called, he want's his nose back :lol:
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/08b155d5 ... 631531f690
😂
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

politburo

JordanMugen wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
It’s weird. Like trying to be futuristic by copying a 95/96 champ car. Then sticking on hubcaps off a 1950s American pickup.
Is there a reason for the wheel covers to be like that, instead of completely flat? :?:

The very stubby and wide nose is also curious. Will the real cars retain the narrow noses which they currently have? The other FIA concept shows the front wing main flap extending ahead of the nose ala FW14B, which might be another possibility? :?:

I hadn't realised how far off the ground the front wing is. The mock-up car shows a strange downards slope to the front wing from the nose, in reality will the main element of the real front wings immediately curve down rather aggressively much like the Tyrrell 019 -- provided that is permitted?

This is easily the worst looking f1 car ever. What in the world is with that nose?. Looks like a wider version of IndyCar. Terrible sight. Besides that, hopefully the aero is good.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Santozini

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 14:44
2pm uk time (in 15 minutes) on f1 YouTube channel.
Can't find anything on their YouTube channel. Do you have a link?

jjn9128

I was wrong it’s at 3pm uk time. YouTube said 2pm which confused me.

#aerogandalf

Just_a_fan

I wonder how much leeway the teams will get for playing with details. For example, the curved device on the outside of the front wing endplate and the exact size and positioning of the front wing slot gaps that wrap around under the endplate will be quite useful for tuning the aero around the front tyre and its wake.

Other than the weird wheel "hub caps", it appears to be basically the car that was revealed two years ago but with a coat of paint thrown over it. So much for a big "reveal". :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

santos

Doesn't look futuristic. Side by side with a car from 2007/8 they all look from last century. Only the cars from 2014 have an unglier nose than this one. The front and rear wing look a bit like an evolution from the Superleague Formula... what a waste of time this was.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 15:16
I wonder how much leeway the teams will get for playing with details. For example, the curved device on the outside of the front wing endplate and the exact size and positioning of the front wing slot gaps that wrap around under the endplate will be quite useful for tuning the aero around the front tyre and its wake.

Other than the weird wheel "hub caps", it appears to be basically the car that was revealed two years ago but with a coat of paint thrown over it. So much for a big "reveal". :roll:
Pretty much exactly that car. Looks like they’ve reprofiled the deflectors above the front wheels. The front and rear wings and nose are slightly different. There will also be the “mini splitter” on the front of the boat-keel under the driver.

There’s not a huge amount of leeway for being super creative imho. The curved thing on the FWEP is called the “diveplane” it has to be at least 10mm thick with a 5mm radius. Maximum is 12mm thick. It has to block a surface when viewed from above. It has to have positive camber with the rest edge a certain distance above the front... etc
#aerogandalf

Just_a_fan

politburo wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 15:10
This is easily the worst looking f1 car ever. What in the world is with that nose?. Looks like a wider version of IndyCar. Terrible sight. Besides that, hopefully the aero is good.
Sir has a short memory:
#-o

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 15:22
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 15:16

Pretty much exactly that car. Looks like they’ve reprofiled the deflectors above the front wheels. The front and rear wings and nose are slightly different. There will also be the “mini splitter” on the front of the boat-keel under the driver.

There’s not a huge amount of leeway for being super creative imho. The curved thing on the FWEP is called the “diveplane” it has to be at least 10mm thick with a 5mm radius. Maximum is 12mm thick. It has to block a surface when viewed from above. It has to have positive camber with the rest edge a certain distance above the front... etc
So are we effectively going to be watching a spec series just with a choice of drive train allowed?

TheRacingElf

In the beginning they were talking about putting LEDs on the hubcaps to show some basic information, i fear they still want to continue with this bs and this is what the hubcaps represent...

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 15:28
So are we effectively going to be watching a spec series just with a choice of drive train allowed?
Technically no. But there’s a lot of detail which will keep cars verrry similar. Main differences will be invisible to most of us.
#aerogandalf

Blackout

JordanMugen wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

What older mockups/renders are you referring to? the ones I know arent very different from this 1/1 mockup. the latter has minor changes compared to them. Actually the Memento one features more changes and looks more up-to-date.

jjn9128

Evolution spot the difference.
#aerogandalf