2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djones
djones

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

ispano6 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:17
Marty_Y wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:13
ispano6 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:09

You're no better rooting a cheating thug
How did he cheat?

If you can't say anything intelligent please don't say anything at all.
Are you blind? He sent Max to the hospital.

Another opinion is Max sent himself to hospital.

He thinks he can get away with being 100% aggressive all the time and today was a lesson in why you have to sometimes just let things go and live to fight another day.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:09
I think it’s shown that HAM could have positioned his car a lot more to the inside to try to avoid a touch.

It was proper racing, so for me a racing incident but I feel the majority of the blame does lie with Lewis on that accident. I think anyone who looks at it objectively can’t be too far away from that
The difference is that Max stuck his car across to the right and that meant that when Hamilton went for the inside, he had less of an angle. As said, racing incident.

Has to be said that the penalty did give us a race in the end. So the stewards/FIA will be happy with it and no doubt do it again.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nzjrs

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:16
Hoffman900 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:12

Should be ashamed for laughing and cheering the gloat of all time
The amount of couch jockeys getting their pants in a wad over a bunch of millionaires and multi-national corporate branding is the biggest bummer in all of this.

I think I'm done here. I came for the technical stuff, but there just really isn't much of that these days.
It’s utter madness. So many people are consistently posting here based on nothing but hatred and tribalism, with zero thought to anything else.

Today was on another level. Absolute hysteria because it was Hamilton and Verstappen. People need to check their emotions for two seconds before posting.
Maybe mods can close the race threads during the race and point people to discord?

My ignore list got a lot longer today that's for sure.

JordanMugen

Artur Craft wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:18
Was watching WEC, at Monza, just heard that Lewis won by crashing Max out of the race. I´m gonna be away from F1 forums for a while :)
:lol:

Do you think a Giovanazzi and Stroll crash of the same type would have caused the same level of discussion?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:16
Hoffman900 wrote:
The amount of couch jockeys getting their pants in a wad over a bunch of millionaires and multi-national corporate branding is the biggest bummer in all of this.

I think I'm done here. I came for the technical stuff, but there just really isn't much of that these days.
It’s utter madness. So many people are consistently posting here based on nothing but hatred and tribalism, with zero thought to anything else.

Today was on another level. Absolute hysteria because it was Hamilton and Verstappen. People need to check their emotions for two seconds before posting.
I agree. I've been saying this for a while now, but the mods made it clear nothing was going to change. Other websites have things in place to limit where new users can post, and make them earn the right to post in certain areas of the forum. Most of the racism and other silly chatter is all coming from users who are relatively new and have zero or sometimes negative ratings. It shouldn't be hard to put something in place to reduce this kind of nonsense.

aral
aral

I have temporarily locked the thread as it appears that a number of posters cannot control their feelings and are resorting to making rather nasty and puerile comments. Please take the time to reflect on what you might be feeling, and when thread is re-opened you can discuss the race sanely and responsibly.

turbof1

We are reopening this thread. Please keep it civil while we clean this thread up.
#AeroFrodo

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

I think that the montage of incidents that Hamilton has avoided this year was instructive. Max dive bombing and Lewis turning away to avoid contact. There would have been 3 times max would’ve been penalised for causing a collision but because Lewis took avoiding action that didn’t happen. This felt like a marker, he’s no longer going to back out when the inevitable max turn in/dive bomb happens. Looked like a 60/40 racing incident for me with Hamilton more in the wrong. But neither have any quarter and the penalty maybe felt about right. Outcome for max was bad but you don’t judge incidents on that. It was the faintest of contacts and max could’ve avoided it too.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

When max bangs wheels and sends LecLerc off track it’s great, hard racing. I honestly don’t see the difference here with moves max pulls every week

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Look at the front view and how VER gave space. He was being fair. I guess his “mistake” was that he expected Lewis to keep a tighter line nearer the apex, which didn’t materialise. Lewis left his car out there so as VER turned in to make the corner side by side, the touch was inevitable.

In fact when you see the onboard from Lewis there was a lot of space still on the right. They could have gone through side by side. No question but he washes out. They’re the same speed yet somehow VER can turn in a lot tighter than HAM? I don’t buy it. He was deliberate in his positioning.

Nasty crash
Last edited by 101FlyingDutchman on 18 Jul 2021, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

There has been some good analysis. The fact Hamilton was pushed so much closer to the wall on entry meant he had to move further out to make the corner. It was smart by Verstappen to do it but it ended up meaning Hamilton’s car wasn’t in the same place as it was against LeClerc.
Hamilton has stated that he isn’t going to be pushed off track by Verstappen anymore like In Italy at his year. If Verstappen doesn’t realise that the today won’t be the last time.

the EDGE
the EDGE

I’m all for a bit of argy-bargy, and get fed-up with all this ‘someone must be to blame’ attitude

I tune-in for racing and that is what we got again today. What goes around comes around and the FIA need to re-think their definition of let them race, because theirs no point in saying it if it means penalties every time there’s a bit of contact

F1NAC

Anyway, regarding race.

So gutted for Charles. Drove like a champ. I hope Ferrari can deliver next year. Too bad for Sainz botched stop. Could have finished ahead od Norris maybe.

Regarding penalty. The more they penalise this year those pushings off the circuit, the more if feels that not giving Max a penalty in Austria 2019. Was a huge fraud.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

bonjon1979 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:41
I think that the montage of incidents that Hamilton has avoided this year was instructive. Max dive bombing and Lewis turning away to avoid contact. There would have been 3 times max would’ve been penalised for causing a collision but because Lewis took avoiding action that didn’t happen. This felt like a marker, he’s no longer going to back out when the inevitable max turn in/dive bomb happens. Looked like a 60/40 racing incident for me with Hamilton more in the wrong. But neither have any quarter and the penalty maybe felt about right. Outcome for max was bad but you don’t judge incidents on that. It was the faintest of contacts and max could’ve avoided it too.
I think that's a fair assessment. Max now knows that Hamilton isn't going to give in when squeezed as he has in previous encounters - Hamilton has even publicly stated that he gives Max more room than others. I think Max has thought that's a weakness to be exploited. I think that weakness has officially been rescinded by Hamilton. So now Max will have to account for that going forward through the season. I think we'll actually see some good wheel-to-wheel stuff from them in the season with each giving the other room and not trying to be too heroic where it isn't necessary. I hope so, anyway.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

politburo
politburo

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:43

Look at the front view and how VER gave space. He was being fair. I guess his “mistake” was that he expected Lewis to keep a tighter line nearer the apex, which didn’t materialise. Lewis left his car out there so as VER turned in to make the corner side by side, the touch was inevitable.

Nasty crash

Lewis had full lock on his wheel, but he understeered perhaps carrying too much speed. Perhaps he wouldn't if he wasn't squeezed. However Max had to turn it at some point, and it just happened to be that Lewis was understeering at the same time. Terrible crash going into the wall like that. Car barely slowed down in gravel trap. Also has to be mentioned the Halo yet again deflected that loose rear tyre when it was headed for the cockpit.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"