2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

Unf wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:57
Fight every battle at 100% expecting that your aggressiveness will cause everyone around to yield and you're going to crash at some point.

Live by the sword, end up in the wall sometimes. Or at least thats how i think it goes.

ringo

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:58
ringo wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:56
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:43

Look at the front view and how VER gave space. He was being fair. I guess his “mistake” was that he expected Lewis to keep a tighter line nearer the apex, which didn’t materialise. Lewis left his car out there so as VER turned in to make the corner side by side, the touch was inevitable.

In fact when you see the onboard from Lewis there was a lot of space still on the right. They could have gone through side by side. No question but he washes out. They’re the same speed yet somehow VER can turn in a lot tighter than HAM? I don’t buy it. He was deliberate in his positioning.

Nasty crash
You are forgetting that Max pinned Lewis to the wall a few hundred meters before. If Max didnt squeeze lewis in the wall both could have been more to the left and would have been able to make the corner. Se max set hismself up without realizing. He will learn to control his aggression in the future. All is not lost he still has 8 points advantage
Except that didn’t happen. Lewis chose to go for the gap on the inside. You can see the decision easiest from his cockpit view. He deliberately went for that tight gap. Max didn’t squeeze him anymore.
Are you saying Lewis cannot bring his car side by side on the straight? I am not understanding you here.

It's just hard racing mate. Get used to it. More to come. If Max wants to try bully others on the track he is welcome to try again. He just needs to understand the consequences are dire. He wrecked his car and engine and lost 25 points.

Even if they blame Lewis more, it doesnt change the fact that others did diffrrently in the exact same situation.

Anyhow hats of to Ferrari on a very impressive race. They were better than Mclaren here and got a haul of points.
I feel bad got George again this week. Williams were nowhere.
Vettel back to his old ways again.Still thinks he has a blown diffiuser car.
The pace that Charled had on the medium was genuine. Ferrari definitely will be in the fight next year.

Lando did a fine job again. I notice for a few races now the Mclaren can stay with 5 to 10. seonds of the Mec most of the race. It's a really decent car. The fight between ferrari and mclaren is the highlight of the season for me.
More interesting that all 4 cars are duking it out. Both having good driver pairings.
For Sure!!

Edax
Edax

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:02
One thing to note is the much maligned tarmac runoff zones we grumble about so often. They would have done a substantial job today at slowing that car down and maybe even keeping it out of the wall altogether. While they may help the drivers circumnavigate track limits easily, they are great for safety and slowing them down. The gravel just gets skidded over.
I am not sure, since he had one wheel off and one in the air, I don’t think the tarmac works that well.

Speaking off which. I am surprised how the tire came off, just by rubbing wheels. Bad for Ves, since it robbed him of any chance of catching the slide, but also quite dangerous.

I cannot remember ever seeing anything like it. Could this be the result of Pirelli’s sidewall strengthening?

Jolle
Jolle

As for people that say “it’s not right to get a penalty and still win the race”, how about Button’s most epic win? Undeserved?

politburo
politburo

Sergio Perez is it really a given he will stay at RedBull now 5th in the championship?. He really struggled in the midfield and his 2 stop was not effective in the midfield with all those drivers close to each other.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

GrizzleBoy wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:10
Unf wrote:
Fight every battle at 100% expecting that your aggressiveness will cause everyone around to yield and you're going to crash at some point.

Live by the sword, end up in the wall sometimes. Or at least thats how i think it goes.
It's sad that he apparently hasn't learned from this incident. He might not be so lucky next time. Hamilton's words in one of his post race interviews imply that he expects to be given room in such situations. This won't be the last time they crash unfortunately.

falonso81

As others said, we want hard racing but if it involves drivers getting hurt that is a big no. Lewis does not seem to care and I really hope Max will not act the same way cause we will have nasty accidents going forward.

LM10
LM10

Shrieker wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:08
Max drove onto Ham at Imola, Hamilton yielded. He did the same again in Catalunya, Hamilton yielded again. Max at this point probably thinks he can bully any driver ad infinitum.

It was only a matter of time until Hamilton said enough's enough. He put his nose in there, and told Max to turn in if you dare. Of course knowing Max, he thought Ham would yield again.

Wrong. And he paid dearly for it. He's not smart, and if he loses the title in the end, that'll be the only thing to blame.
There is nothing wrong to turn in when you’re on the racing line and in front, which Max was.

Jolle
Jolle

Edax wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:12
El Scorchio wrote:
One thing to note is the much maligned tarmac runoff zones we grumble about so often. They would have done a substantial job today at slowing that car down and maybe even keeping it out of the wall altogether. While they may help the drivers circumnavigate track limits easily, they are great for safety and slowing them down. The gravel just gets skidded over.
I am not sure, since he had one wheel off and one in the air, I don’t think the tarmac works that well.

Speaking off which. I am surprised how the tire came off, just by rubbing wheels. Bad for Ves, since it robbed him of any chance of catching the slide, but also quite dangerous.

I cannot remember ever seeing anything like it. Could this be the result of Pirelli’s sidewall strengthening?
It looked like the wheel broke

politburo
politburo

Edax wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Perhaps the initial collision ruined the suspension hence why it came off, because they do have wheel tethers, then again the corner is min. 230 km/hr perhaps that also played a part. Remember in Austria when Ocon retired after a slight touch with Giovinazzi ruined his right front suspension?.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

ringo

falonso81 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:15
As others said, we want hard racing but if it involves drivers getting hurt that is a big no. Lewis does not seem to care and I really hope Max will not act the same way cause we will have nasty accidents going forward.
Drivers need to understand they can get hurt before they play bully. I would not care either if i was Lewis. Max needed a wake up call.
The super aggression needs to be controlled. Watch over the first lap and you will see the countless times he was weaving and trying to rub wheels with the mercedes. Max is crazy. Maybe this knocked some sense into him.
For Sure!!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:58
ringo wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:56
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:43

Look at the front view and how VER gave space. He was being fair. I guess his “mistake” was that he expected Lewis to keep a tighter line nearer the apex, which didn’t materialise. Lewis left his car out there so as VER turned in to make the corner side by side, the touch was inevitable.

In fact when you see the onboard from Lewis there was a lot of space still on the right. They could have gone through side by side. No question but he washes out. They’re the same speed yet somehow VER can turn in a lot tighter than HAM? I don’t buy it. He was deliberate in his positioning.

Nasty crash
You are forgetting that Max pinned Lewis to the wall a few hundred meters before. If Max didnt squeeze lewis in the wall both could have been more to the left and would have been able to make the corner. Se max set hismself up without realizing. He will learn to control his aggression in the future. All is not lost he still has 8 points advantage
Except that didn’t happen. Lewis chose to go for the gap on the inside. You can see the decision easiest from his cockpit view. He deliberately went for that tight gap. Max didn’t squeeze him anymore.
No it literally did. There is plenty of footage showing just how little room Hamilton had just before the corner. That means Hamilton has to take a wider and straighter line. Verstappen then tries to take the normal line when there is a car up his inside the outcome was obvious. IMHO the 10 sec penalty was to try and defuse the situation. The problem is that Hamilton has let Verstappen get away with pushing him around all season. The very second he doesn’t he’s the anti-Christ.

If Verstappen doesn’t learn that he can’t just push others around he will keep having these problems for his entire career even when Hamilton has retired. His team principle isn’t helping with his words today. They also both need to remember that Hamilton can (although he prefers not too) get down and dirty with anyone including his own team mate.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Wow, what a race. Bound to happen sooner or later, the crash. 50/50 in my view. First off, Verstappen stayed ahead of Ham going into T1 by being off track, and then launched a super aggressive dive bomb move up the inside in turn 6, which Hamilton didn’t have to avoid since he was clearly ahead at that point, but did anyway (just as in Barcelona). Then Hamilton WAS a fair bit alongside going into Copse. Not fully, but he was there, and has the right for the inside line. Max left some space, but not enough for that type of corner. Hence this result. He will probably learn from this, Verstappen (finally, since too much of his overly aggressive driving has gone unpunished so far in his career). Good recovery drive by Lewis.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:14
GrizzleBoy wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:10
Unf wrote:

It's sad that he apparently hasn't learned from this incident. He might not be so lucky next time. Hamilton's words in one of his post race interviews imply that he expects to be given room in such situations. This won't be the last time they crash unfortunately.
He was given room. What more should he have done? Go off like Leclerc? There have been plenty of times when critique of his moves was in order, but in my view, not in this case. He wasnt making it easy on his rival, but he surely left room.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Edax wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

The wheel rim failed, you could see a piece of the rim flying through the air. Very very strange, it was like the front wing of the Merc shaved the rim off the wheel.