2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:15
There is nothing wrong to turn in when you’re on the racing line and in front, which Max was.
Ok, I hope Max takes a page out of your book, and keeps turning in everytime there's a car on the inside, completely ignoring their existence.
Last edited by Shrieker on 18 Jul 2021, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Big Tea

Diesel wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:36
nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:32

Radio from the crash
Not seen the onboard from Verstappen until now. At 4/5 seconds you can see Hamilton's front wing to the right, and you can see Verstappen make a conscious decision to turn in, he actually starts to turn in and then suddenly starts turning much more aggressively.

EDIT: I was on the fence until I saw this, at 5 seconds you can quite clearly see when Verstappen decided they were going to have an accident.
He turns the wheel harder because of the contact on his rear, in an attempt to keep the car on track.
(not defending one or the other, I see it as a racing incident)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Sieper wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:39
politburo wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:31
DChemTech wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:21

He was given room. What more should he have done? Go off like Leclerc? There have been plenty of times when critique of his moves was in order, but in my view, not in this case. He wasnt making it easy on his rival, but he surely left room.
Agree. He left plenty of room and that can easily be confirmed by just watching the onboards.

I don't understand why people are still blaming Verstappen given all this, the guy was literally a passenger. He defended and it was awesome watching him defend, all within the rules as well, but he got understeered into like how Leclerc did to him in Suzuka 2019, just with less consequence at that point.

Verstappen is aggressive yes, but aggressive driving is surely better than poor driving. And better yet he is not sugarcoating it for the twitterverse, he's expressing how he feels, ain't nothing wrong with that.
Agree. Max didn’t do anything wrong here, nor has he for several seasons. Hard but Fair racing, he always delivers. Others should too, this is what we want to see.
He hasn’t? You only have to look at turn 6 in this very race, where the roles were reversed. Hamilton is ahead going into the corner, yet Max STILL LAUNCHES the car up the inside. Hamilton takes a mega wide line just to avoid a similar incident which happened at Copse later. Hamilton might think he can expect similar respect from Max, but obviously he can’t. And no wonder, since his team has always defended his overly aggressive driving all the time (and still ofc does). I thought he had learned something, but he hasn’t. This time however, he will see that HE himself lost out the most, so he might finally reconsider.

If you want another example, look at T1 in Barcelona, where Lewis has the right to take the line, but doesn’t because he expects Verstappen to make these risky moves. Instead, he thinks of his own championship and tries to get him later in the race instead. Which worked. And that approach would have worked for Verstappen today as well, if he would have thought one step longer.
Last edited by Tvetovnato on 18 Jul 2021, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

Restomaniac wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:30
proteus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:25
Both drivers are becoming seriously dangerous. Maybe they both should get a race ban, to get their act together. How far will they go this year, and are they willing to kill one another for the title? It is the first time that Max actually has the chance to take the championship and he is no Vettel or Leclerc to yield to Hamilton, and it is first time after a long period that Lewis has to invest all of his talent and energy to fight against Max, and them both started to open an old bag of shady tricks fully willing to exploit them in real life....Slamming someone off the track with speeds over 200kmh is not something a seven time world champion should do, and ramming each other off the track and pushing into a wall is also a giant di*k move to be doing by a challenging driver over the season...

None of them is innocent this season, both of them are driving way too agressive towards each other. There is nothing wrong if they knock wheels where speeds are not high enough to risk somebodys life, but to do it at full speeds means both of them are missing few wheels in their heads, and someone should slam a fist on the table and explain them rules of engagement.

Like i said, race ban for both, for them to chill and think about how to drive in the future.
I’m sorry but Verstappen has been at it all year and Hamilton has yielded over and over again yet the very second Hamilton draws a line in the sand they both need banning? :wtf:

Maybe we need to look more closely and who has consistently been using the stuff in that old bag all season.
And then it is normal to shunt someone at 200+kmh into a wall for 50G of force? Today it was shown that both of them have serious problems with morality and sense for safety for each other. Lewis should not be left off the hook, because he yielded before. Especially since he repeated same manouver at Leclerc, which was lucky to stay on the track.

If this continues at this rate, one of them could be dead by the end of the season - mark my words.
Last edited by proteus on 18 Jul 2021, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Big Tea wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:46
Diesel wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:36
nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:32

Radio from the crash
Not seen the onboard from Verstappen until now. At 4/5 seconds you can see Hamilton's front wing to the right, and you can see Verstappen make a conscious decision to turn in, he actually starts to turn in and then suddenly starts turning much more aggressively.

EDIT: I was on the fence until I saw this, at 5 seconds you can quite clearly see when Verstappen decided they were going to have an accident.
He turns the wheel harder because of the contact on his rear, in an attempt to keep the car on track.
(not defending one or the other, I see it as a racing incident)
It's before the contact, at 4 seconds he's already moving to the right and you can see Hamilton's wing enter the frame to the right. At 5 seconds he's applying a lot more steering angle to the right, and very shortly after there's contact.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

LM10
LM10

Shrieker wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:45
LM10 wrote:
There is nothing wrong to turn in when you’re on the racing line and in front, which Max was.
Ok, I hope Max takes a page out of your book, and keeps turning in everytime there's a car on the inside, completely ignoring their existence.
He didn’t ignore Lewis’ existence. In fact, Lewis had more than enough room on the inside and it actually was him not staying close to the apex.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

He sent Max to the hospital and he did not spend a single word for him at the interviews. He needed his wingman and Norris to let him pass easily for being able to win. He smiled and celebrated like nothing had happened to Max. He is a champion, yes, but of hypocrisy. I've never respected this man, today I realized I've always been right.

proteus

LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:50
Shrieker wrote:
LM10 wrote:
He didn’t ignore Lewis’ existence. In fact, Lewis had more than enough room on the inside and it actually was him not staying close to the apex.
I would expect more cautious approach from a 7time world champion, specially the way Hamilton presents himself to the public, as a person of reason. He could have waited for the next straight. If their roles were reversed, those who are now defending Lewis, would say that Max was too agressive.

Both of them need to start using their heads.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Tvetovnato wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:46
Sieper wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:39
politburo wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:31

Agree. He left plenty of room and that can easily be confirmed by just watching the onboards.

I don't understand why people are still blaming Verstappen given all this, the guy was literally a passenger. He defended and it was awesome watching him defend, all within the rules as well, but he got understeered into like how Leclerc did to him in Suzuka 2019, just with less consequence at that point.

Verstappen is aggressive yes, but aggressive driving is surely better than poor driving. And better yet he is not sugarcoating it for the twitterverse, he's expressing how he feels, ain't nothing wrong with that.
Agree. Max didn’t do anything wrong here, nor has he for several seasons. Hard but Fair racing, he always delivers. Others should too, this is what we want to see.
He hasn’t? You only have to look at turn 6 in this very race, where the roles were reversed. Hamilton is ahead going into the corner, yet Max STILL LAUNCHES the car up the inside. Hamilton takes a mega wide line just to avoid a similar incident which happened at Copse later. Hamilton might think he can expect similar respect from Max, but obviously he can’t. And no wonder, since his team has always defended his overly aggressive driving all the time (and still ofc does). I thought he had learned something, but he hasn’t. This time however, he will see that HE himself lost out the most, so he might finally reconsider.

If you want another example, look at T1 in Barcelona, where Lewis has the right to take the line, but doesn’t because he expects Verstappen to make these risky moves. Instead, he thinks of his own championship and tries to get him later in the race instead. Which worked. And that approach would have worked for Verstappen today as well, if he would have thought one step longer.
What happened today is that Lewis saying that he is not longer opening the door in 50/50 situations. It's up to Max to adjust to it or there will be more crashes. when Lewis is under attack he knows when to give way. Not so with Max. Max does not know when to cede way. Ricciardo found out the hard way in Baku 2018, Vettel found out the hard way in Suzuka 2019, and Ocon found out the hard way while trying to unlap himself (poor fella, he even got shoved afterwards by Max) in Brazil 2018. Max expects other racers to get out of his way even when they are entitled to some space. Maybe he is doing too much ghost racing on the sim. Today that attitude bit him hard.

nimoraca
nimoraca

pantherxxx wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:51
He sent Max to the hospital and he did not spend a single word for him at the interviews. He needed his wingman and Norris to let him pass easily for being able to win. He smiled and celebrated like nothing had happened to Max. He is a champion, yes, but of hypocrisy. I've never respected this man, today I realized I've always been right.
You knew you were "right" long before this :).

Shrieker

LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:50
Shrieker wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Moment of contact.

https://imgur.com/a/L85u1A7

I'll let you decide who has more space to play with. To help a little bit: Ham has less than a car's width to play with. In contrast, Max has many car's width of space to play with. He takes all the risk. While Hamilton clearly doesn't. You can see it clearly in the video as well.

When they're side by side and going straight (way before turning into the corner), Hamilton leaves space -space he can play with to open up Copse that little bit more- to be safe.
Last edited by Shrieker on 18 Jul 2021, 21:02, edited 4 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

proteus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:48
Restomaniac wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:30
proteus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:25
Both drivers are becoming seriously dangerous. Maybe they both should get a race ban, to get their act together. How far will they go this year, and are they willing to kill one another for the title? It is the first time that Max actually has the chance to take the championship and he is no Vettel or Leclerc to yield to Hamilton, and it is first time after a long period that Lewis has to invest all of his talent and energy to fight against Max, and them both started to open an old bag of shady tricks fully willing to exploit them in real life....Slamming someone off the track with speeds over 200kmh is not something a seven time world champion should do, and ramming each other off the track and pushing into a wall is also a giant di*k move to be doing by a challenging driver over the season...

None of them is innocent this season, both of them are driving way too agressive towards each other. There is nothing wrong if they knock wheels where speeds are not high enough to risk somebodys life, but to do it at full speeds means both of them are missing few wheels in their heads, and someone should slam a fist on the table and explain them rules of engagement.

Like i said, race ban for both, for them to chill and think about how to drive in the future.
I’m sorry but Verstappen has been at it all year and Hamilton has yielded over and over again yet the very second Hamilton draws a line in the sand they both need banning? :wtf:

Maybe we need to look more closely and who has consistently been using the stuff in that old bag all season.
And then it is normal to shunt someone at 200+kmh into a wall for 50G of force? Today it was shown that both of them have serious problems with morality and sense for safety for each other. Lewis should not be left off the hook, because he yielded before. Especially since he repeated same manouver at Leclerc, which was lucky to stay on the track.
So again when a driver does it all the time you’ll look the other way then just as soon as another driver fights back to that same drivers aggression you want to ban them both. Not the guy who’s been at it all season them BOTH. #-o What happened later was that LeClerc realised what Verstappen refused to realise. The corner was lost. Maybe he expected Hamilton to continue to yield even when he has a right to be there like in Italy and Spain.

With the greatest of respect you sound like you’ve had no problems with it until somebody defends themselves. That sounds awfully like a biased viewpoint.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

proteus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:26
DChemTech wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:21

He was given room. What more should he have done? Go off like Leclerc? There have been plenty of times when critique of his moves was in order, but in my view, not in this case. He wasnt making it easy on his rival, but he surely left room.
He went off track in turn 1 in order to stay ahead. Should have given the place up there and then.
To be honest, he done nothing what Lewis and many other drivers didnt do before. Thats why gravel traps would make sure noone would be doing this. A 2 meter wide strip of gravel would be probably enough.
Is what other drivers do or don't relevant? Going off track and gaining a lasting advantage is straight up against the rules. It's not like Max didn't have the same type of situation earlier in the season...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

pantherxxx wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:51
Lewis asked if Max was Okay when the car entered the pits after the red flags.
For Sure!!