2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:48
Agreed Jolle. Lots you say there rings true but we can only look at the incident in isolation. Previous “what May or may not have happened” shouldn’t come into assessing the merits of this case. They should all be individual.
As in, first lap incidents. Where the stewards “allow” a bit of wheel to wheel action, missing corners, etc.

If you look just at this corner and the straight before it, being on the first lap (approaching this corner for the first time at speed with his fuel load), it’s much more a racing incident.

Mogster

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:55
I never said I was leaving this site or not posting anymore. Somehow it seems persons thought I was? I guess I was missunderstood. :?:

But anyway, today's victory was so sweet and satisfying!! I am over the moon!! Vintage wine tonight!

I personally believe the incident was 50/50. Max had space but he knew he would be compromised on the outside so he gave no quarter. Lewis could have expected that Max is Max and will attempt to pinch him. They both have the heart of Senna.and none will move. What do you get? A crash.

I have to post this video to remind people that Max is a very aggressive racer and other drivers have been lifting for him for years to avoid DNFs ever since they realise he wont change his style. For once he is now the driver with the championship lead to protect and I was quite surprised he did not think about the undue risk of cutting a sharp line to the apex on a 180mph corner. He paid the price.

I see no reason for Hamilton to feel sorry for him. Gladitorial celebrations for a battle well won and most of all to ensure the fans get their money's worth. =D>

Peace, out! :-"

https://youtu.be/lkAoSghdD6Y
It doesn’t even include the Baku incident with Ricciardo which was really caused by a reactive double move from Max.

nzjrs

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I never said I was leaving this site or not posting anymore. Somehow it seems persons thought I was? I guess I was missunderstood. :?:

But anyway, today's victory was so sweet and satisfying!! I am over the moon!! Vintage wine tonight!
Haha bollocks, knew he'd be back, and I knew he'd be back for these reasons.

Edit: note PZ changed his signature, another incindiary move from the poster who is "not a troll"
Last edited by nzjrs on 18 Jul 2021, 22:19, edited 2 times in total.

El Scorchio

214270 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:53
Not sure what the verdict is on the whole race weekend. I don’t think there was anything there that elevated the spectacle personally.
Agree. Alonso’s stellar lap aside and Perez spin, the sprint race was extremely meh.

I said it on the other thread, but the only reason I’d want to see it again is to safeguard the future of the British GP by making more revenue for Silverstone.

Regardless of what happened in the race, it’s a magnificent venue and the British fans are a good as any in the world. Only the atmosphere in Italy is comparable, or Brazil in the Senna days.

101FlyingDutchman

PlatinumZealot wrote:
So are you saying this in the thread you started wasn’t said by you? Come on man.

Quote:

People of F1 technical.

This is my last post here.

No point in continuing to post here

nzjrs

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
So are you saying this in the thread you started wasn’t said by you? Come on man.

Quote:

People of F1 technical.

Yeah, I recommend people go an look at PZs very first posts on this forum, and look at this post, and evaluate all things he says in the light of those posts being similalrly themed.

The greatest trick was convincing us otherwise.

Tizz

Just something else... In France and Austria, RB had less rear wing than Mercedes giving them top speed while not sacrificing too much in the corners. I assumed it was because the RB had more downforce from the floor and diffuser. But now all of a sudden RB had more rear wing then Hamilton. I wonder if that just was a consequence of running out of practice time or how this change came about ?

dans79

197 104 103 7

Juzh

nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:21
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Quote:

People of F1 technical.

Yeah, I recommend people go an look at PZs very first posts on this forum, and look at this post, and evaluate all things he says in the light of those posts being Similalrly themed.
I mean he does have zealot written in his nickname, that should raise some flags right off the bat.

SmallSoldier

You have 2 drivers going full beans, trying to outbreak each other and neither of them giving anything to the other… In this type of situations, someone has to yield and neither did… The result, contact between them and an unlucky crash… Reality is that the crash could have easily taken Lewis out or both of them out.

In the picture below you can see that Max has a clear view of Hamilton next to him on the inside of the turn, nevertheless his steering angle is still very sharp… Based on both cars trajectories, the incident was unavoidable… If Max would have yield, he would have most probably lost P1, but not only would he have most probably than not finish P2 and only loss 7 points, he could have potentially regained the lead further in the race… I’m not saying Max “should have yield”, but in this case, it was in his best interest to do so and didn’t… He will have to adjust a little bit his approach as a Championship Leader instead of a contender… Managing risk is part of the game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wesley123

proteus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:54
LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:50
Shrieker wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:45

Ok, I hope Max takes a page out of your book, and keeps turning in everytime there's a car on the inside, completely ignoring their existence.
He didn’t ignore Lewis’ existence. In fact, Lewis had more than enough room on the inside and it actually was him not staying close to the apex.
I would expect more cautious approach from a 7time world champion, specially the way Hamilton presents himself to the public, as a person of reason. He could have waited for the next straight. If their roles were reversed, those who are now defending Lewis, would say that Max was too agressive.

Both of them need to start using their heads.
The thing is; Max has a whole lot more to lose than Lewis did. This race was essentially a make-or-break for the championship.

For the incident itself; I believe Hamilton intentionally ran wide into the turn to force Verstappen wide. Quite a dirty move in and of itself, but not all that wrong per sé. However, Verstappen was being himself and committing to a turn when he knows Hamilton was there.

As for if the roles were reversed; I believe Lewis would have conceded the position.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123

Tizz wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:24
Just something else... In France and Austria, RB had less rear wing than Mercedes giving them top speed while not sacrificing too much in the corners. I assumed it was because the RB had more downforce from the floor and diffuser. But now all of a sudden RB had more rear wing then Hamilton. I wonder if that just was a consequence of running out of practice time or how this change came about ?
This was the same last year. Teams ran quite little wing for what is normally a downforce track. Basically just because of the Pirelli tires.

Running less wing than the competition meant that it would be more difficult to overtake him, and easier to overtake others.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dans79

In my opinion it was a racing incident.

Lewis was well along side entering the braking zone, and thus entitled to space. Lewis braked earlier, but not hard enough to clear max. I assume his plan was tight in, and then wide out.

Max on the other hand knew full well that Lewis was there but turned to hit the apex anyway. as SmallSoldier's picture clearly shows.

I think this will be a learning experience for Max, as on several occasions in the past he has made a move and either hoped the other driver would get out of his way, or though he would intimidate the other driver out of the way. Now he has come up against another driver in a title fight, and has learned the hard way that sometimes people won't yield, and thus you need to pick your battles wisely.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

wesley123 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:31
proteus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:54
LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:50

He didn’t ignore Lewis’ existence. In fact, Lewis had more than enough room on the inside and it actually was him not staying close to the apex.
I would expect more cautious approach from a 7time world champion, specially the way Hamilton presents himself to the public, as a person of reason. He could have waited for the next straight. If their roles were reversed, those who are now defending Lewis, would say that Max was too agressive.

Both of them need to start using their heads.
The thing is; Max has a whole lot more to lose than Lewis did. This race was essentially a make-or-break for the championship.

For the incident itself; I believe Hamilton intentionally ran wide into the turn to force Verstappen wide. Quite a dirty move in and of itself, but not all that wrong per sé. However, Verstappen was being himself and committing to a turn when he knows Hamilton was there.

As for if the roles were reversed; I believe Lewis would have conceded the position.
The roles were reversed a corner prior, Hamilton yielded.

Tizz

wesley123 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:36
Tizz wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:24
This was the same last year. Teams ran quite little wing for what is normally a downforce track. Basically just because of the Pirelli tires.

Running less wing than the competition meant that it would be more difficult to overtake him, and easier to overtake others.
But why did RB change strategy for this race ? For the reasons you gave, I see no logic in the decision.