2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:36
Diesel wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:32
I see that Sainz, Vettel and Mazepin all did illegal practice starts but were only given a warning. The previous precident for this was when Hamilton did the practice starts at Sochi last year. I wonder why these 3 drivers only got a warning?
Did they ? I missed this , when and where did this happen ?
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 0start.pdf

NathanOlder

Diesel wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:38
NathanOlder wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:36
Diesel wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:32
I see that Sainz, Vettel and Mazepin all did illegal practice starts but were only given a warning. The previous precident for this was when Hamilton did the practice starts at Sochi last year. I wonder why these 3 drivers only got a warning?
Did they ? I missed this , when and where did this happen ?

Thank you.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Incognito
Incognito

Dee wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 12:19
This wasn't a both of them were expecting the other to concede incident, this was Lewis fully knowing that Max wouldn't back off and still keeping his line. After the touch, he still ran wide on that corner, meaning that he was always ending up in Max's car, his trajectary was never one that was making that corner cleanly

He expected the crash, didn't feel bad that Max then crashed out, could celebrate his win fully. Never gave Max any care or consideration in his interview after the race or in any further interviews up until the point he was told he was in the hospital. Then he says, of course you never want things like this to happen....
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 12:28
You’ve worded it far better then I have in previous posts.
Ryar wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 12:34
He wanted to do or die.
Sieper wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 12:36
And he knew, by his own words, Max would be there.

After these corners (maggots and becketts) Max would have been clear. Taken out.
Was Verstappen aware that Hamilton was on the inside going into the corner? Was Verstappen aware that Hamilton was still on the inside when he turned into the apex? Did Verstappen have sufficient control of his car to be able to ease the steering?

These are all basic skills for a driver and, if the answer to all of these is 'yes', then Verstappen made the same decision Hamilton did. This is the corner that decides the race and I'm going to come out ahead. Exactly as he did on Lap 1 of the Sprint race when he was on the inside and Hamilton was on the outside. Interestingly, Hamilton yielded in the Sprint race. Why do you think he yielded? Why have you not condemned Verstappen for such a dangerous move and praised Hamilton for yielding even though he was (insert all arguments that Verstappen was utterly blameless for the incident here)?

As to Hamilton celebrating whilst Verstappen was getting medical checks, are you honestly claiming that, in every race that Verstappen has celebrated and has contained a crash that he has personally checked on the condition (and location) of those drivers before celebrating? What was his response to Bottas' heavy crash in Mexico 2019? Did Leclerc check where Giovinazzi was at Spa 2019? Or Vettel when Perez crashed in Monaco in 2011?

In the immediate aftermath of the accident:-
"Hamilton: Is Max okay?"
"Bonnington: He's out the car."
Verstappen exited the car c.60 seconds after the impact. There was no indication to Hamilton that he'd suffered serious injuries (or, indeed, any injuries). The message 'he's out of the car' is pretty standard short hand for 'he's fine'.

At least one individual on this site is claiming that Hamilton 'admitted' (there's a word loaded with accusation) that he didn't even know Verstappen was in hospital. Of course he didn't! Hamilton was busy driving an F1 car around a track, not checking Twitter updates. Hamilton asked if Verstappen was okay. The team said he was. Hamilton got on with racing. It's what every driver on the grid has done. Did Leclerc celebrate at the end? I assume not because I haven't seen one word condemning him. What about Bottas? How about Norris or Ricciardo? Did they know Verstappen was in hospital? No? Should we be condemning them too? Where's the outrage at them?

You are deliberately demonising an individual for acting in the same way everyone (including Verstappen) acts in the same situation. Not only is it unfair, but it's also damaging to the community and it stokes hatred where none is deserved. If you can't find legitimate reasons to hate someone, it's not a great look to fabricate fake ones.

Some of you are better than this, show it.

For the rest, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

El Scorchio

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:38
Thank you.
That's another one the stewards just decide on, on a case by case/race by race basis isn't it? I seem to remember Hamilton's (double?) penalty being a bit out of kilter, but decided on by Mika Salo?....

Part of me thinks that since a precedent was set then it should now be the same for everyone else, but the other part that the Hamilton penalty was pure madness and what they've done this weekend is the appropriate way to deal with this sort of infringement.

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:45
That's another one the stewards just decide on, on a case by case/race by race basis isn't it? I seem to remember Hamilton's (double?) penalty being a bit out of kilter, but decided on by Mika Salo?....

Part of me thinks that since a precedent was set then it should now be the same for everyone else, but the other part that the Hamilton penalty was pure madness and what they've done this weekend is the appropriate way to deal with this sort of infringement.
And some people still constantly say Lewis is so lucky!
197 104 103 7

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Hypocrisy and lies from horner et al is unbearable.

SiLo

I think the practice start infringements should all be penalised the same way. So the same as what Hamilton got. Those notes are there for driver safety, and ignoring them should be consistently punished.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

By the way, as a complete aside, I think this is a lovely gesture and one which deserves posting about on here. Sebastian Vettel helped clean the grandstands after the fans had left last night. Showing his commitment to environmental issues

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/67642 ... pointment/

dans79

Leclerc's take on the Max/Lewis incident.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/lecle ... t/6633718/
“It is very difficult to judge it from the car; we are very low,” said Leclerc. “So it’s difficult to see.

“Everything went very quick. Obviously I could see there were quite a bit of things going around in front of me. And yeah, I think it’s a racing incident.

“It’s quite difficult to put the blame on one or the other. Obviously there was space on the inside. Maybe Lewis was not completely at the apex but it’s also true that Max was quite aggressive on the outside. So, things happen. What is the most important today is that Max is unharmed and is fine.”
197 104 103 7

dans79

Here are some comments from Masi thats put to bed the the line of thought some were using yesterday.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/masi- ... s/6633632/
Masi stressed that the stewards could not take into account the fact that Verstappen had retired and Hamilton had continued, and any potential impact on the title battle.

"I think one of the big parts that's been a mainstay for many, many years, and this came through discussions prior to my time between all of the teams, the FIA and F1, and the team principals were all quite adamant, is that you should not consider the consequences in an incident," Masi said.

"So when they judge an incident they judge the incident itself, and the merits of the incident, not what happens afterwards as a consequence. And that's been something that the stewards have done for many years.

"And have been advised to do from top down. I'm talking team involvement, and so forth. So that's the way that the stewards judge it, because start taking consequences into account, there's so many variables, rather than judging the incident itself on its merits."
Red Bull's management has made it clear that it feels Hamilton got away lightly, with Helmut Marko calling for Hamilton to be suspended for a race.

Asked about the team's complaints that the punishment wasn't harsh enough, Masi said: "I think if you look at it on that basis you'll never find a penalty that will address an imbalance like that.

"If you look at it in that particular circumstance, that is why going back a few years the teams, or team principals made a clear distinction that they didn't want consequences taken into account, they wanted it based on the incident itself.

"I completely understand that perspective and I think that is a general held view across all stewarding, to not look at consequences for that purpose."

Masi says he sees no need for the stewards to explain their decisions to the public in detail.
197 104 103 7

Ryar

dans79 wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:47
El Scorchio wrote:

And some people still constantly say Lewis is so lucky!
How many drivers get into race ending incidents and instantly get a red flag to repair the car. :D
Hakuna Matata!

mwillems

You need to be perfect in that corner to make the pass and avoid an accident, and Lewis was too far away from the Apex. However, Max did close him down and must take some of the responsibility. Lewis was turning right as much as he could but couldn't get more in because the RB was costing him front grip (Lewis' miscalculation) . Lewis put them in a situation and Max could have made more space but instead aggressively turned in. I can't see beyond a racing incident. Max could have carried more speed out of that corner and been more aggressive in the next to take control. They both could not see beyond one corner for the race and carried the same attitude. No sympathy for either or them to be honest even if it was Hamilton that had spun instead.

For me, when you both make a choice to go into battle like that at a 300kph corner, you are letting the racing gods decide and you shouldn't complain if they don't choose you.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

mwillems wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 15:13
You need to be perfect in that corner to make the pass and avoid an accident, and Lewis was too far away from the Apex. However, Max did close him down and must take some of the responsibility. Lewis was turning right as much as he could but couldn't get more in because the RB was costing him front grip (Lewis' miscalculation) . Lewis put them in a situation and Max could have made more space but instead aggressively turned in. I can't see beyond a racing incident. Max could have carried more speed out of that corner and been more aggressive in the next to take control. They both could not see beyond one corner for the race and carried the same attitude. No sympathy for either or them to be honest even if it was Hamilton that had spun instead.

For me, when you both make a choice to go into battle like that at a 300kph corner, you are letting the racing gods decide and you shouldn't complain if they don't choose you.
Very well put!

nzjrs

dans79 wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:22

I think he was trying to link to the first result.

Nice, thanks. I had some random meme as my first result!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

El Scorchio wrote:

I agree, I think a warning is fair, but at Sochi last year they were adamant it was the correct decision and cited the fact the 5 second penalty was the smallest penalty they could give. I don't think I've ever seen a warning issued by the stewards, normally if there's a summons, there's a penalty.