2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
toraabe

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

I will say it like this. Who will loose most if the outside driver just will keep his line and not giving space. The same will happen. Verstappen was stupid enough by not giving space and not thinking long term racing....

Wouter

Hamilton has accustomed us to the same trick. Inside, touch with the rear wheel and position won at the expense of a victim on the track. It was Verstappen at Silverstone, open war in F1... and carte blanche for these moves!

Let's take a look at the past.
You can choose your own language for the subtitles.

The Power of Dreams!

f1jcw

Ryar wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 09:29
NathanOlder wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 08:55
Ryar wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 05:34
Absolutely. Implementing cost cap is also a process of learnings these undesired impacts on the proceedings. Today it's Red Bull and tomorrow it will be Mercedes, again. So it's critical for FIA to have the cost cap regulations updated. The spirit of budget cap is to stop overspend on development, it shouldn't hamper racing operations just because someone made a dumb move from the other team.
I don't recall you fighting this rule when Russell wiped out Bottas in Imola. I must have missed that. What was the reaction from the Williams fans back then ?
Like most others and I am no SME, my attention to the matter came to this matter of how cost cap is going hinder the teams, when Russell-Bottas incident happened. IMO, there should be an exclusion on the regulation to allow teams to repair/replace the damaged part, outside of the cost cap. The noises are higher now as it may affect the championship fight, unlike in Russell-Bottas incident. Invariably, it may affect Mercedes next. So the team loyalties shouldn't cloud the thought process in this regard.
It has already affected Mercedes, their isn't a Bottas pot and a Lewis pot, the Bottas crash used valuable resources. It doesn't matter if they are in the champtionship fight or not.

Again, you want a rule change just cause Max is on the receiving end.

NathanOlder

Ryar wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Ryar wrote:
Absolutely. Implementing cost cap is also a process of learnings these undesired impacts on the proceedings. Today it's Red Bull and tomorrow it will be Mercedes, again. So it's critical for FIA to have the cost cap regulations updated. The spirit of budget cap is to stop overspend on development, it shouldn't hamper racing operations just because someone made a dumb move from the other team.
I don't recall you fighting this rule when Russell wiped out Bottas in Imola. I must have missed that. What was the reaction from the Williams fans back then ?
Like most others and I am no SME, my attention to the matter came to this matter of how cost cap is going hinder the teams, when Russell-Bottas incident happened. IMO, there should be an exclusion on the regulation to allow teams to repair/replace the damaged part, outside of the cost cap. The noises are higher now as it may affect the championship fight, unlike in Russell-Bottas incident. Invariably, it may affect Mercedes next. So the team loyalties shouldn't cloud the thought process in this regard.
Bottas Russell incident is as crucial to the championship fight as the Verstappen Hamilton clash when talking budget cap.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

f1jcw wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 10:35
Ryar wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

It has already affected Mercedes, their isn't a Bottas pot and a Lewis pot, the Bottas crash used valuable resources. It doesn't matter if they are in the champtionship fight or not.

Again, you want a rule change just cause Max is on the receiving end.
You beat me to it, exactly this.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 10:32
Hamilton has accustomed us to the same trick. Inside, touch with the rear wheel and position won at the expense of a victim on the track. It was Verstappen at Silverstone, open war in F1... and carte blanche for these moves!

Let's take a look at the past.
You can choose your own language for the subtitles.

Hmmm, Spain - Rosberg moved across and put Hamilton on the grass. At that point Hamilton is a passenger. Rosberg was under attack there because he'd messed up his start procedure. His defence was hamfisted.

Austria, Rosberg made no attempt to turn in to the corner and tried to drive Hamilton off track.

Got bored after that as it's just a guy that dislikes Hamilton having a go. One can find similar on youtube by people pointing out Verstappen's errors. Or Schumacher for that matter.

It's one of the problems with the internet - it's very easy to find stuff that supports a single view and feeds in to a particular emotion. It's how the nutters such as the far right / far left / anti-vaxxers / flat earthers / etc. get wound up.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Ryar

Well practiced move. :)

Hakuna Matata!

Pany

Yess, lewis is becoming --- to my eyes. Anyway he does so because they let him do it, thanks to political mercedes control on race.dirrctors, stewards, fia rtc.
Ryar wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 11:16
Well practiced move. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6unY9VX0B0 ... name=large

El Scorchio

NathanOlder wrote:
Ryar wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 02:53
Mercedes should pay for the repairs of the Red Bull car since its driver Hamilton was deemed responsible by Michael Masi and the stewards at Race Control. . F1 is on a budget cap and Dr. Helmut Markko is correct in complaining about the costs of fixing the car. Red Bull should not be penalized financially for the accident caused by Hamilton. This is something the FIA should look into and probably implement a system in the near future . Anybody else agree ?
I believe the general response was 'S*** happens, tough luck Mercedes'.

Wouter

This is what Hamilton said about taking out another driver in 2018

Lewis Hamilton pointed the finger at Max Verstappen after the collision during the British Grand Prix. The Dutchman would have been too aggressive, but if we go back in time Hamilton now contradicts himself very much. After all, in 2018 he thought that with such an action you should not be able to finish ahead of the other at all.

We go back to the year 2018, where Lewis Hamilton is fighting Sebastian Vettel for the world title. During the French Grand Prix, Vettel makes a mistake. He brakes, and taps Valtteri Bottas on the back of his wheel at the first corner. Vettel was given a five second penalty, but still finished in fifth place. Bottas, the victim of Vettel's tap, finishes seventh.

''Ultimately, if you ruin someone's race because of a mistake, and you're able to come back to a place ahead of the other person, that penalty doesn't outweigh your mistake. You shouldn't be able to finish ahead of the other person if you take them out of the race. It's like you're violating the speed, but they just let you go,'' Hamilton revealed at the time versus Sky Sports.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/89634/th ... -2018.html

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... m=referral
Last edited by Wouter on 20 Jul 2021, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

cooken

This was brought up and discussed several pages ago. Time to close this thread.

El Scorchio

Apparently Red Bull are making the unprecedented move of calling in lawyers to open some sort of case against Hamilton. On what grounds I really don't know.

:roll:

SiLo

El Scorchio wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 11:56
Apparently Red Bull are making the unprecedented move of calling in lawyers to open some sort of case against Hamilton. On what grounds I really don't know.

On the grounds of "Red Bull is still just a huge marketing machine to sell energy drinks and everyone should remember that"

Being in the news is good for them always.
Felipe Baby!

Ryar

El Scorchio wrote:

British GP stewards ruled that Hamilton was responsible for the incident, but the punishment was extremely lenient. Besides, he ruined Max's race and improved his own championship chances and has induced millions in car damages. It makes a good enough reason for taking the fight out of track for Red Bull.
Hakuna Matata!

El Scorchio

Ryar wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 12:02
El Scorchio wrote:

British GP stewards ruled that Hamilton was responsible for the incident, but the punishment was extremely lenient. Besides, he ruined Max's race and improved his own championship chances and has induced millions in car damages. It makes a good enough reason for taking the fight out of track for Red Bull.
On the contrary, I think it's silly, extremely OTT, and opens a very dangerous can of worms for the future of the sport.