2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
les arcs
les arcs

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

Wouter wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 10:35
Lewis was very angry (in front of the Sky camera) because Max hit him. Max showed no respect at all!
Max should have pulled over, like he is used to from everyone! He called Max very, very aggressive.
Max has 0 penalty points on his licence. Why would that be?

In fact, this is already at least the 9th time Lewis has hit someone's rear tire with his front tyre, thus knocking them out of the race and giving the competitor less/no points.
He used that trick very often during his karting days, only there the consequences were not as bad.
He has mastered this trick to perfection, so that he always gets away with it, damage-wise and point-wise.
He knows exactly where and when to use such a manoeuvre and no one in the race management notices!

Lewis realises that he cannot beat Max in a fair way, so this is the way to go. I hope the eyes of the race committee open for once, because with such ridiculous penalties for Lewis' tricks, he will do it again next time.

Now, Max's health seems to have ended reasonably well. However, that impact of 51G can have repercussions in the body later on, but how will it end with Max next time? Lewis is definitely going to continue this if not intervened! Hold my breath!

Is this satire?

Ryar

les arcs wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 11:34
Wouter wrote:
Lewis was very angry (in front of the Sky camera) because Max hit him. Max showed no respect at all!
Max should have pulled over, like he is used to from everyone! He called Max very, very aggressive.

In fact, this is already at least the 9th time Lewis has hit someone's rear tire with his front tyre, thus knocking them out of the race and giving the competitor less/no points.
He used that trick very often during his karting days, only there the consequences were not as bad.
He has mastered this trick to perfection, so that he always gets away with it, damage-wise and point-wise.
He knows exactly where and when to use such a manoeuvre and no one in the race management notices!

Lewis realises that he cannot beat Max in a fair way, so this is the way to go. I hope the eyes of the race committee open for once, because with such ridiculous penalties for Lewis' tricks, he will do it again next time.

Now, Max's health seems to have ended reasonably well. However, that impact of 51G can have repercussions in the body later on, but how will it end with Max next time? Lewis is definitely going to continue this if not intervened! Hold my breath!

Is this satire?
For hardcore Hamilton fans, yes. For the rest of the world, it's a sad reality and a genuine concern. :?
Hakuna Matata!

Titchener
Titchener

Palmers analysis is very good. He normally irritates me but on this occasion does a good job. I’m sure the majority here will disagree with him as they do with the other F1 drivers who say it is a racing incident.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 11:48
les arcs wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Is this satire?
For hardcore Hamilton fans, yes. For the rest of the world, it's a sad reality and a genuine concern. :?
Er, I think it's the reality in the eyes of hardcore Max / Red Bull fans. The rest of the world just looks at the incident and thinks "yeah, ok, another crash between two drivers, so what?". :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

ispano6 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 10:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 09:37
ispano6 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 01:34
This forum went downhill when Mercedes started to lose their dominance. Now that RedBull Honda is a real threat, lots of people have gone on the defensive here.
Stop trying to insult forum members. You do your arguments no favours by such behaviour.
It takes two to tango, like Toto said.
I wouldn't leave such a comment if the Max, Marko, Horner, and Red Bull haters didn't berate and denigrate their fans. There's been accusations of cheating with flex wings, tire pressures and engine performance upgrades. Max having the superior car so it being his championship to lose. The underhandedness and arrogance of fans of a 7 time world championship winning outfit as if their achievements are their own exudes from their comments and stance. I'm just calling it out as the other side sees it. The repeated Goat comments is a good example of this. We get it.
And herein lies the problem. You refer to 'sides'. Lots of your posts make it seem like there is some sort of war going on, including a war on here, which must be won. It's not a helpful attitude. Especially when lashing out at other posters just because they don't share the same point of view.

It's not a battle. It's just motor racing. There are no 'goodies' and 'baddies'. All teams and drivers will get criticised, rightly and wrongly at times. All teams and drivers operate 'in the grey' in various ways.

Ryar

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 10:01
Ryar wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 09:48

This is the image from race. Based on telemetry, he carries same exact speed as quali lap but a completely compromised trajectory. I don't know how people think he could have made the corner clean, without understeering and hitting Max.

https://i.imgur.com/VsdxfRH.jpeg
But that's not his line on corner entry because Max moved left and Hamilton did too. HIs entry line was further to the left.

If he didn't make the corner then he'd have run wide and Max would have had the place back - because Hamilton would have to give it back. In fact, just as happened in turn 1 where Max ran wide and then chopped across Hamilton to stay P1 when he should have given the place up.
Being inside, even if Hamilton moves slightly left to the image that i posted, there was no way he could go clean in the corner with that speed. Full stop. We can go round and round on this. Remember, stewards deemed Hamilton was wrong. There is official grounds to argue this.

When did Max leave the track to concede position? Even if a driver ahead leaves track, he can come back ahead as he never lost a position, as long as there is no contact and no "crowding". That's the rule. I didn't see anyone talk about it so far. Only if a driver attempting overtake runs wide, he has to concede. That's what Max did in Bahrain.
Hakuna Matata!

Ryar

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 11:52
Ryar wrote:
les arcs wrote:

Is this satire?
Er, I think it's the reality in the eyes of hardcore Max / Red Bull fans. The rest of the world just looks at the incident and thinks "yeah, ok, another crash between two drivers, so what?". :wink:
You just confirmed what i said, especially considering your established driver loyalty. :wink:
Hakuna Matata!

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 10:18

Toto, Horner, they are all peas of the same pod.
Exactly. They are both politicians playing the game. Clearly playing it well, seen as they are winding so many people up so much.

I disagree with the hyperbole of Horner on Sunday but understand 100% why he said it, and what he wanted to achieve by saying it. But flip it around and you'd have Wolff playing that card and Horner brushing it off as much as possible.
And when one of Horner's drivers is in the 'Hamilton position' in another incident in future, he'll have a completely different opinion on these incidents.

That's just politics.

nimoraca wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 22:19
Where is this obsession about the apex coming from. I guess its from the explanation the stewards gave for the penalty. There is no mention in the rules of a driver on the inside being obligated to "hit" the apex (even though the stewards do not seem to understand where the apex is).
According to the rules, Hamilton was clearly alongside Max on the inside. The rules, I believe, say that the driver on the inside has the right to choose the line but needs to leave space for the driver on the outside, which Lewis clearly did (there was 5 car widths of space on the left). Just look at all the previous battles between the two where Max was on the inside (Imola, Barcelona, Portugal and Silverstone in Brooklands), Max leaves absolutely no space on the outside and serious collisions are avoided only because Hamilton understands that he has more to lose on the outside, something Max might learn from this incident.
I too don’t get this fascination with the apex either; complete red-herring. HAMs move was deft, it was skilled and it was earned. The only thing left to do was to complete the move by remaining on track on exit taking any line of his choosing; you can pixel-peep stills and slo-mo frames to your hearts content - the reality is there’s no way to conclude he would’ve overshot. As far as I’m concerned if he’s able to stay on track after coming together with VER then he has a very good chance without contact.

VER should’ve either yielded or done exactly what he did at Turn1 - keep your foot in it, run off track and deal with any consequences after. He chose to try and make the corner.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

nimoraca
nimoraca

Kingshark wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 10:26
The more I think about it, the more this incident reminds me of Spa 2014.

Rosberg lost most of his wheel to wheel duels against Hamilton in 2014. Hamilton pushed him off the track numerous times in Bahrain and also on the final lap in Hungary. That is why in Belgium, Rosberg finally decided that that he had enough and he wanted to be tough. Unfortunately, his determination to be tough resulted in an accident for which he was to blame. It helped him in the championship, but the court of public opinion turned against him.

Verstappen has been bullying and schooling Hamilton this season. Hamilton finally decided to be tough, but it results in an accident for which he is to blame. Hamilton has benefited from it for now, but outside of the UK the anti-Hamilton sentiment will be growing. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him booed heavily in the next few races.
Bullying yes, schooling not even close. If anything, Hamilton just schooled Verstappen about knowing when to back out of it. You can clearly see how he backed out of it at the Brooklands event though he was much more ahead than Max was in Copse. He simply knew that Max would dive bomb on the inside and take him out if he went for the racing line.

nimoraca
nimoraca

Ryar wrote:
les arcs wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Is this satire?
Doesn't seem to be a reality for most of the retired/active drivers involved in F1. Most drivers called this nothing but unfortunate racing incidents (including, Coulthard, Alonso, Leclerk, Saintz, Karun Chandhok, Palmer...), that's the actual people that know something about wheel to wheel racing.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Ryar wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 09:48
This confirms that Hamilton carried too much speed into that corner. Though he braked approximately 20-25 mtrs earlier than Max, he simply was carrying too much speed to make the corner clean.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202107 ... 476219.jpg

Image from his qualifying lap, carrying exact same speed, here he could make the corner clean because of the racing line trajectory.
https://i.imgur.com/4xs5IbX.jpeg

This is the image from race. Based on telemetry, he carries same exact speed as quali lap but a completely compromised trajectory. I don't know how people think he could have made the corner clean, without understeering and hitting Max.

https://i.imgur.com/VsdxfRH.jpeg
I don't think it really confirms anything of the sort without being able to show the telemetry for the hot lap on top. All it shows was he took a similar entry speed to his qualifying lap, but he was braking much earlier, so his apex speed was potentially much much lower. What was his speed just before the contact with Max versus his speed at the apex during qualifying?

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

Hoffman900 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 01:41
ispano6 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 01:34
This forum went downhill when Mercedes started to lose their dominance. Now that RedBull Honda is a real threat, lots of people have gone on the defensive here.
No they’re not.

They’re pointing out all the fallacies in Horner / Max’s / Marko’s statements, and using their past statements to blow holes in their current arguments.

What they are doing isn’t technical or sportive. It’s politicking.
Well said. Christian Horner has lost a lot of credibility for the remarks he made and is certainly quite revealing of the level of integrity of the man. Imagine if the cars were swapped around and it was Lewis who crashed, I'm sure he would be giving Max a pat on the back.

Big Tea

Sponsors (and owners) pay many millions to get their name seen and talked about. I wonder why this has dragged on?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Fnatic1
Fnatic1

It was a risky move sending one down the inside at one of the fastest corners on the calendar.

When you miss the apex, you miss the apex and you should be held accountable. This was not aggressive, this was reckless as he didn’t make the apex nor the corner.

Genuinely shocked with the bias from Sky and other powerful interest, because this incident can be reviewed objectively.

I heard claims VER should have left more room. Just watch this clip and focus solely on HAM line (disregard VER in this footage). Where’s he heading? Where’s VER supposed to go? The collision was inevitable, even if VER adjusted his line.

VER left the exact same space LEC did. Difference is that HAM now adjusted his line and took less speed into the corner.