2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Mansell89 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 22:24
Any thoughts on Budapest and how our car will take to it?

Also, how will it be for Dan? It’s not a track with super high speed and tough braking zones is it - but it is a very rhythmical circuit so I’m intrigued to see how he goes. He absolutely can nail the circuit but of course he will just need that feel of the car.

I expect Ferrari to look pretty mighty here to be honest - they were superb at Monaco and this is high downforce. Not sure they’ll beat RBR and both Mercs but they’ll be very handy.

If we get either car in the top 6 I’d be very pleased.
Dan mentioned in the post-race interview that he loves the Budapest tack and if he can get comfortable in the car there, then it'll be a huge confidence boost for him and step forward.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 22:27
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 21:50
the EDGE wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 20:54

Problem your looking at air temp, where it’s actually the track temp that dictates tyre temp

Track temp is effected by cloud cover, surface colour, material, and possibly wind speed too
Agreed! I just couldn’t find the information easily… Maybe if I go through race reports for the different news outlets I may be able to find the information… I’ll give it a try later tonight if I find some available time 😊
Found them👍🏻
Paul Ricard had a track temp of 38 degrees using the C2, C3 and C4 tyres
Silverstone had a track temp of 53 degrees using the C3, C4 and C5 tyres.
That’s a fairly massive difference especially for the Pirelli tyres.....
I think it’s fair to say that the higher temps and harder tyres (according to Sainz) favoured Ferrari
Nice! Would be interesting to also find Portimao and Spain, since there was a lot of disparity in their performances between those 2 races… Where did you find them?

runningmanz

djos wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 00:31
Mansell89 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 22:24
Any thoughts on Budapest and how our car will take to it?

Also, how will it be for Dan? It’s not a track with super high speed and tough braking zones is it - but it is a very rhythmical circuit so I’m intrigued to see how he goes. He absolutely can nail the circuit but of course he will just need that feel of the car.

I expect Ferrari to look pretty mighty here to be honest - they were superb at Monaco and this is high downforce. Not sure they’ll beat RBR and both Mercs but they’ll be very handy.

If we get either car in the top 6 I’d be very pleased.
Dan mentioned in the post-race interview that he loves the Budapest tack and if he can get comfortable in the car there, then it'll be a huge confidence boost for him and step forward.
Yeah still remember that epic drive of his in 2014 in mixed conditions when he passed Lewis and Fernando in the last few laps to win it. He does really seem to like that track so hopefully he can keep learning and does well in the McLaren there.

Scorpia

I’ve read that McLaren will come with updates to Budapest, I don’t know if it’s accurate info or what they will bring. But this could possibly be the last update of the season if true.

the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 01:53
CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Agreed! I just couldn’t find the information easily… Maybe if I go through race reports for the different news outlets I may be able to find the information… I’ll give it a try later tonight if I find some available time 😊
Found them👍🏻
I think it’s fair to say that the higher temps and harder tyres (according to Sainz) favoured Ferrari
Nice! Would be interesting to also find Portimao and Spain, since there was a lot of disparity in their performances between those 2 races… Where did you find them?
Pretty sure Silverstone used the hardest tyres, c1, c2 & c3, but we’ll done on finding the temps, I spent an hour last night looking for them without success

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Found them👍🏻
Silverstone was C1,C2 and C3, not the softer compounds.

https://f1chronicle.com/2021-british-gr ... Red%20soft.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Found them👍🏻
Portugal was around 38 degrees track temp and an air temp of 20. They said the track temp was nearly double so 38 was my guesstimation.

You'll find the information buried in the live streams most likely, as they will be looking to post as much info as possible in them to keep the feed going.

Here is a list of all the live streams for all of the races. Good luck :shock:

https://www.autosport.com/live/

Edit:
Here is a site that will give you a bit more weather for each race, including wind speed and direction. You can get it easily anyway but it is one place for every race here.

https://www.racing-statistics.com/en/seasons/2021

It has a lot of other data though, that is very interesting. Driver comparison over the years. It's reasonably complete as these sites go.

I'm handy with web design, how about a project to build our own stats site with all the information that Formula 1 fans want to see in one place?

We'd have to be diligent in collecting the information as we go, and choosing what information we could reliably get every race, but that would be fun I think.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

Yea sorry about the bum tyre info, I meant to say the they are the hardest in the range but I wasn’t sure if the C1 or the C5 is the hardest- I should have just checked🙈😂

For those wondering where I got the temperature info from I just replayed the live timing on the F1 app (subscription) and on the info bar where the team radio is there is a rolling section informing us of the air temps, track temps... the one I’m most keen to know is the air pressure🤣🤣

@Smallsoldier I can easily find the Portimao and Spain temps tonight if you don’t beat me to it now I’ve given all my secrets away🤣
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 09:51
SmallSoldier wrote:
CjC wrote:

Found them👍🏻
Portugal was around 38 degrees track temp and an air temp of 20. They said the track temp was nearly double so 38 was my guesstimation.

You'll find the information buried in the live streams most likely, as they will be looking to post as much info as possible in them to keep the feed going.

Here is a list of all the live streams for all of the races. Good luck :shock:

https://www.autosport.com/live/

Edit:
Here is a site that will give you a bit more weather for each race, including wind speed and direction. You can get it easily anyway but it is one place for every race here.

https://www.racing-statistics.com/en/seasons/2021

It has a lot of other data though, that is very interesting. Driver comparison over the years. It's reasonably complete as these sites go.

I'm handy with web design, how about a project to build our own stats site with all the information that Formula 1 fans want to see in one place?

We'd have to be diligent in collecting the information as we go, and choosing what information we could reliably get every race, but that would be fun I think.
That would be a nice project! The problem would be with a bit of commitment, I’ve seen a few cool projects like this where a lot of effort and time is invested upfront and then when the go green (live), unluckily enthusiasm slows down and the updates aren’t as frequent as needed or wanted (or even worse… the team goes through a rough patch and the whole project dies)… But it would be great to have one repository for information, the information is out there, it just seems to be scattered through different websites

And thanks for the link… Taking a look at it!

SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 11:16
Yea sorry about the bum tyre info, I meant to say the they are the hardest in the range but I wasn’t sure if the C1 or the C5 is the hardest- I should have just checked🙈😂

For those wondering where I got the temperature info from I just replayed the live timing on the F1 app (subscription) and on the info bar where the team radio is there is a rolling section informing us of the air temps, track temps... the one I’m most keen to know is the air pressure🤣🤣

@Smallsoldier I can easily find the Portimao and Spain temps tonight if you don’t beat me to it now I’ve given all my secrets away🤣
Ha! I may beat you to it 😛

Once I’m done with my morning calls, I’ll take a look at the live timing… Thanks! 👍🏼

Ground Effect

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... s/6634634/

McLaren to get upgrade boost for Hungary, in fight with Ferrari. Sounds like the good old days! Hopefully it’ll be for P1 in the near future.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

@Smallsoldier it must be a long morning😛

Ok to add some confusion
Portimao was 40 degrees C
Spain was 32 degrees.... Ferrari was stronger in the cooler of these two conditions🙈

SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:34

Ok to add some confusion
Spain was 32 degrees.... Ferrari was stronger in the cooler of these two conditions🙈
10:39AM over here 👀

SmallSoldier

Mclaren Unboxed:

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:39
CjC wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:34

Ok to add some confusion
10:39AM over here 👀
:lol: Yea I recall you saying you are in America👍🏻

I’ve had another thought, has the lack of a normal weekend helped Ferrari/ hindered Mclaren?
As we know Mclaren can benefit from having a strong Friday night data analysis and make changes for the Saturday. Where as at Silverstone parc ferme came in to effect after quali on Friday if I’m not mistaken?