Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SmallSoldier

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

JordanMugen wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 16:51
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 17:51
Never? The kid is in his third season in F1… If he keeps proving himself… He will get his chance… Maybe not next season, but at the end, the best drivers end in the best cars
Leclerc was promoted after one season, Gasly was promoted after one season, Albon was promoted after half a season, Norris went straight into McLaren, Hamilton went straight into McLaren, Magnuessen went straight into McLaren, Vandoorne went straight into McLaren, Senna was promoted to Lotus after one season, Raikkonen was promoted to McLaren after one season, Alesi was promoted to Ferrari after 1.5 seasons, Verstappen to Red Bull after 1.25 seasons, Schumacher was promoted to Benetton after one race (!!!)...

Why should Russell wait so long? It's absurd!
Timing, Luck and position play a big role in the sport… No one denies that Russell has a tremendous amount of talent and deserves to be in a better car than Williams… But the notion that he is entitled to a seat in a top team is what I don’t agree with… As well as the notion that he will “never” be in a top car when his career is really just starting… I’m sure that if go through history, there are other top drivers that weren’t in a top car at the beginning of their careers (Mansell for example)… Prost, even though his first season was with Mclaren, wasn’t in a top car until he rejoined Mclaren in 1984 after spending 3 years at Renault… Even a top driver like Alonso didn’t jump in a top car early in his career, after Minardi he was reserve driver for Renault and when he started driving for them as a race driver (2003) the Renault was far from been a “Top Car” in F1… It’s also arguable that a couple of your names in your list actually were hurt by been promoted too early (Magnussen and Vandoorne or more recently Gasly and Albon).

Unluckily in F1 there has been always a couple of teams at the top, therefore 4 or 6 seats in those teams… Therefore there will always be drivers missing out on those top seats, whether it is because there is already a top driver there or because the teams doesn’t want 2 “Top Drivers” at the same time for fear of destabilizing the team internally (maybe the reason why Red Bull chose Perez instead of going for someone like Alonso or even threw a curveball and snatched Russell).

Has Russell showed talent? Yes… Will he have a chance a top team? If he keeps developing and showing what he is capable of, most probably… Is he “entitled” to a top seat right now? I would argue that he isn’t… I’m hoping he will get his chance and I’m sure he will… He has what hopefully will be a very long career ahead of him to make it happen

Hoffman900

Senna wasn’t promoted. He broke contract and Toleman was mad at him and suspended him for a race for failing to notify and exercise his “out” clause.

I want to see George step-up, but let’s not add in some revisionist history to this to make a point.

Ryar

For all we know, it might have been a done deal to have Russell on board Mercedes. If so then it would be a moot point to argue on this. More so also because Marko claimed, he was reliably informed that Russell to Mercedes is a done deal. He was interested in signing him, but he can't now. He said it would be faux pas if they haven't. Based on some reports, it is being said that Mercedes did not want to announce it as was originally planned to be done at Silverstone to avoid demotivating Bottas as the team fell behind in WCC and it is important to have Bottas give his 100% for WCC cause. On the same note, it might not be announced later into the season.

Another juicy bit that I read was, Ralf Schumacher claiming that Mercedes wanted to sign Max for 2022 onwards, but he declined the offer which made Mercedes to re-sign Hamilton.
Hakuna Matata!

Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 20:01
Another juicy bit that I read was, Ralf Schumacher claiming that Mercedes wanted to sign Max for 2022 onwards, but he declined the offer which made Mercedes to re-sign Hamilton.
That would be a good move by Mercedes. Take on the one young superstar who is definitely around the same level as your current old superstar.

Assuming that's a reasonable rumour, Max probably thinks Red Bull are more likely to field the best car next year. That or he likes being the absolute top dog at Red Bull rather than just one of two drivers at Mercedes. More likely the former of those than the latter applies, of course. Max wouldn't be too worried about team status - he has enough self belief to overcome any equal standing status with a team mate.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Is Max available next year?

i thought he was only going to available through performance clauses?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

If that’s true it could be the biggest mistake in the history of F1. If he doesn’t win the title this year and Merc produce the class of the field in 2022 with Russell going there and being a mainstay for a decade.

However if Red Bull produce the best 2022 package, then it could turn out to be incredibly savvy.

tpe
tpe

From various rumors, it looks like Bottas is out of Merc, Kimi is pushed to retirement, Bottas goes to Alfa, Russell goes to Merc.
The question for me is Perez and if he will be in RB next year.
This is the seat that will be hot and it will probably cause a small chain reaction.

El Scorchio

tpe wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 23:30
From various rumors, it looks like Bottas is out of Merc, Kimi is pushed to retirement, Bottas goes to Alfa, Russell goes to Merc.
This is the seat that will be hot and it will probably cause a small chain reaction.
I don’t see why he shouldn’t be. He’s playing his role at RBR pretty well this year. They don’t need 1-2s and I don’t think that’s what they are asking of him. They are using him as a strategic pawn to go long and come into play around pit stops, tie Mercedes hands strategy wise and try to gap Verstappen from them.

tpe
tpe

Agree.
But the fact that an extension is not announced, creates hopes to other drivers.
IMHO Perez will staif RB and/or Max win the WC
Last edited by tpe on 22 Jul 2021, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

tpe wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 23:30
I can’t think of an other driver then Perez in that RedBull seat for 22. That seat has more drivers in it then Spinal Tap had drummers. Good to build stability for a change.

El Scorchio

tpe wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 23:42
Agree.
But the fact that an extension is not announced, creates hopes to other drivers.
IMHO Perez will staif RB and/or Max win the WC
Definitely. The longer they don’t confirm it there is that question mark. But I’d be surprised not to see it done soon. Maybe the wild card was whether Tsunoda would develop enough to be ready but it seems abundantly clear he’s some way off that right now.

PlatinumZealot

Ryar wrote:
For all we know, it might have been a done deal to have Russell on board Mercedes. If so then it would be a moot point to argue on this. More so also because Marko claimed, he was reliably informed that Russell to Mercedes is a done deal. He was interested in signing him, but he can't now. He said it would be faux pas if they haven't. Based on some reports, it is being said that Mercedes did not want to announce it as was originally planned to be done at Silverstone to avoid demotivating Bottas as the team fell behind in WCC and it is important to have Bottas give his 100% for WCC cause. On the same note, it might not be announced later into the season.

They wanted Max from 2017. But Jos Refused.
Of course it is normal to be in talks with Max because Lewis wasn't guaranteed for 2022.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 23:59
Ryar wrote:

They wanted Max from 2017. But Jos Refused.
Of course it is normal to be in talks with Max because Lewis wasn't guaranteed for 2022.
Behind the official releases there is constant talk between drivers, managers and teams and probably also a lot of intent contracts. I would be surprised if Verstappen hasn’t got some options or intends from both Mercedes and Ferrari

Manoah2u

Hoffman900 wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 19:38
Senna wasn’t promoted. He broke contract and Toleman was mad at him and suspended him for a race for failing to notify and exercise his “out” clause.

I want to see George step-up, but let’s not add in some revisionist history to this to make a point.
i see somebody just watched a youtube video of the top 10 drivers with strange reasons to miss a gp start.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zeph