2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
atanatizante

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

zibby43 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 07:37
Great points gents. Looking forward to the Zandvoort updates.
Seems that they`ll have a new RW in the pipeline for Spa for being the last team that didn`t use the spoon shape ... and maybe a tweak to the front one, don`t you think?

On another note, I`ve read that due to their shortest 2021 wind tunnel programme time and most of all due to the 2021 cost cap they waited and analysed all the teams' updates until some 5-6 weeks ago in order to make a decision which direction should take for the aero parts. Something wise and efficient like Racing Point/AM were doing some years ago ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

zibby43

atanatizante wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 22:25
zibby43 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 07:37
Great points gents. Looking forward to the Zandvoort updates.
Seems that they`ll have a new RW in the pipeline for Spa for being the last team that didn`t use the spoon shape ... and maybe a tweak to the front one, don`t you think?

On another note, I`ve read that due to their shortest 2021 wind tunnel programme time and most of all due to the 2021 cost cap they waited and analysed all the teams' updates until some 5-6 weeks ago in order to make a decision which direction should take for the aero parts. Something wise and efficient like Racing Point/AM were doing some years ago ...
I posted a pic of the alternative spec FW Merc introduced last year at Mugello. I think it’s a lower-drag option with shorter chord widths and revised tips on the innermost flaps.

They only used it on specific circuits.

Regarding the spoon wing, Merc don’t have one in their inventory, and haven’t since before the W10. They do have several single-pylon low-downforce options. The variant in Silverstone with a shaved upper flap and no gurney tab was new for this season.

NathanOlder

atanatizante wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 21:47
NathanOlder wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 13:50

Yeah, Lewis has certainly lost a tenth or 2 with being 36yrs old. But he makes up for it on Sundays with consistency and reading the race better. Also able to work the tyres better than the others more often than not. All the greats were the same, Schumacher, Prost, Lauda etc etc.
Do you think that Michael, when he grabbed the pole position at the 2012 Monte Carlo race, his 43 years did play a part in losing time?
Well he lost out to Rosberg in qualifying 41 - 17. So yes, his age lost him some time. That day in monaco the Mercedes was the fastest car, they even qualified 1st and 3rd. If Michael was 10yrs younger he probably would have been on pole by 3 tenths instead of less than 1 tenth.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GOAT

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 23:56
Well he lost out to Rosberg in qualifying 41 - 17. So yes, his age lost him some time.
I do believe Schumacher struggled a lot with the Pirelli’s, which produced less frontal grip, compared to what he used to have with Bridgestone?

mclaren_mircea

It is Hamiltons most succesful track if you take into account the number of victories/ number of races completed. More than Silverstone and Canada. It has to mean something.
Last edited by mclaren_mircea on 24 Jul 2021, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

GOAT wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 00:50
NathanOlder wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 23:56
Well he lost out to Rosberg in qualifying 41 - 17. So yes, his age lost him some time.
I do believe Schumacher struggled a lot with the Pirelli’s, which produced less frontal grip, compared to what he used to have with Bridgestone?
Yeah I wouldn't disagree, Schumacher was always great at driving around any problems and adapting to conditions so you would have thought he would have taken it in his stride. Maybe being old stopped that happening :wink: going back to 'losing a bit' when older.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

The performance gap is now halved according to Toto. It means team performance and strategy will be more important than ever.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 16:48
The performance gap is now halved according to Toto. It means team performance and strategy will be more important than ever.
And hopefully they can continue to extract more from the new package, as RBR won’t stand still with their relentless development program. Although it remains to be seen how much that will be impacted with Max’s crash. They never really even had parts for Checo before.

b2bL44

zibby43 wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 20:59
PlatinumZealot wrote:
And hopefully they can continue to extract more from the new package, as RBR won’t stand still with their relentless development program. Although it remains to be seen how much that will be impacted with Max’s crash. They never really even had parts for Checo before.
I believe Checo has been one race behind with the updates. Come Hungary any updates due for Checo will be thrown onto Max's car.

As far as honing in the upgrades is concerned, Bottas was in the sim again. I suspect Lewis was too:

I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

zibby43

b2bL44 wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 04:45
zibby43 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I believe Checo has been one race behind with the updates. Come Hungary any updates due for Checo will be thrown onto Max's car.

As far as honing in the upgrades is concerned, Bottas was in the sim again. I suspect Lewis was too:

Very encouraging news. I didn’t realize Checo had been only lagging behind by 1 race.

Still, we’d never see that sort of unequal treatment at Merc.

DarthPlagueisTheVise

The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team and Sir Lewis Hamilton launch Ignite, a joint charitable initiative to support greater diversity and inclusion in motorsport.
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2 ... ve-ignite/
Technical Noob

El Scorchio

zibby43 wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 04:53
b2bL44 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Very encouraging news. I didn’t realize Checo had been only lagging behind by 1 race.

I was just thinking that. Imagine the outcry if Hamilton got updates before Bottas. One rule for one team, another for everyone else....

aMessageToCharlie

El Scorchio wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 12:08
zibby43 wrote:
b2bL44 wrote:

I was just thinking that. Imagine the outcry if Hamilton got updates before Bottas. One rule for one team, another for everyone else....
Let's not pretend that BOT is any less of a #2 driver than PER. If Mercedes was running into any kind of shortage on parts, they would go to HAM 100% and I don’t think that's controversal or wrong in any way.

Jolle

El Scorchio wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
b2bL44 wrote:

I think it’s more to do with how the team works with updates. Mercedes seems to do more planning, testing etc before it goes on the car. Redbull seems to be a bit more flexible, and bolts the first part on when it’s ready, instead of following a pre-determined planning.

Ryar

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 13:13
El Scorchio wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Let's not pretend that BOT is any less of a #2 driver than PER. If Mercedes was running into any kind of shortage on parts, they would go to HAM 100% and I don’t think that's controversal or wrong in any way.
Every team in Red Bull's situation would do that. No point in keeping Mercedes on any higher altar in these matters. In 2013, Mercedes was happy to gain podiums after a disastrous 2012 to the extent that, Brawn gave clear team orders to maintain positions in Malaysia. He said, they were even ready to give one arm to get a result like that, if that result would have been offered in 2012.

If other teams starts performing and the competition wraps up and results starts drying up for Mercedes, they would go the same route as Red Bull. It's just the competitive position and flushed with money, Mercedes let (in the past) their drivers fight and produce parts. Letting the driver take win away from team mate with open team orders or using a driver to give a toe for competitive benefits, comprosing the other driver's starting position, is no less an indication of unequal treatment (so to speak). One can always try to prove it right by attaching favoring context to it, but the reality is, it is not an equal treatment. Team comes first and so is the case for Red Bull too and so would be with every team.
Hakuna Matata!